PDA

View Full Version : Gura Appealing fees in DC case

Maestro Pistolero
02-23-2012, 1:52 PM
Time to open up a whole new can of whoop-*** on the District of Columbia, this time over the fees for Heller.
http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/02/landmark-dc-gun-case-heads-to-appeals-court-over-legal-fees-.html

Aldemar
02-23-2012, 1:58 PM
I really like this part:

“Sensitive to the fact that the fees in this case will be paid by the taxpayers, this Court is left with the difficult task of closely scrutinizing plaintiff’s fee petition to determine what is fair, reasonable, and just compensation for the legal services of plaintiff’s attorneys,” Sullivan said in his decision.

If they just would abide by the constitution, the cost to the taxpayers would be zero.

This is one instance where I would not mind the government "going over budget" as it were.

stix213
02-23-2012, 4:08 PM
I really like this part:

“Sensitive to the fact that the fees in this case will be paid by the taxpayers, this Court is left with the difficult task of closely scrutinizing plaintiff’s fee petition to determine what is fair, reasonable, and just compensation for the legal services of plaintiff’s attorneys,” Sullivan said in his decision.

If they just would abide by the constitution, the cost to the taxpayers would be zero.

This is one instance where I would not mind the government "going over budget" as it were.

Yes, keeping the fees low for the taxpayers just encourages more constitutional violations since they think they will get a deal.

Aldemar
02-23-2012, 4:42 PM
Yes, keeping the fees low for the taxpayers just encourages more constitutional violations since they think they will get a deal.

Not to mention discouraging future suits if an attorney thinks he will be stiffed by the government if he prevails.

Paul S
02-23-2012, 5:59 PM
Not to mention discouraging future suits if an attorney thinks he will be stiffed by the government if he prevails.

Ah yes Grasshopper, you understand perfectly.

Mulay El Raisuli
02-24-2012, 7:05 AM
I really like this part:

And this is where the rel battle is. Getting those people to understand that. It worked (eventually) in the 60s. It'll work for us. Also eventually.

My favorite part of the article was:

Gura has called his fee request reasonable considering the length and complexity of the case, and based on his efficiency and success. (emphasis mine)

Yes, winning the case is supposed to give a big payout. That's what 'the system' is based on, after all.

The Raisuli