PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Guns From Mexico Legally

Dirtbikindad393
02-23-2012, 12:31 PM
My father past away and left me his guns which are a couple of .38 wheels. Problem is he lived in Mexico with his wife and she is afraid to bring them back with her when she comes to visit driving across the border. How can she legally bring them back to the states to give to me?

fennecfrank
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#Firearms

and

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/import-firearms-ammo-implements-of-war.html

unusedusername
02-23-2012, 3:09 PM
You need someone with a FFL to import it for you (or you could get your own FFL to do the job, but IMHO this is probably more work then you want).

There are businesses that specialize in this, however I am not sure exactly how this would work in conjunction with an inheritance of an off-list pistol.

I would say wait for the CGF folks to weigh in on this, or you could call one of the "right people" gun lawyers (listed here (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/resources/cgf-hotline.html)) and ask them.

MA5177
02-23-2012, 3:34 PM
My father past away and left me his guns which are a couple of .38 wheels. Problem is he lived in Mexico with his wife and she is afraid to bring them back with her when she comes to visit driving across the border. How can she legally bring them back to the states to give to me?

Well I personally would just forget about them. Guns are illegal to own in mexico period! Getting caught with one in mexico will cost you some serious jail time and mucho dinero, getting caught at the border trying to import them will land you in heap of trouble as well.

unless they are very valuable I would just tell your step mom to keep them or somehow dispose of them

RealBarber
02-23-2012, 3:37 PM
Well I personally would just forget about them. Guns are illegal to own in mexico period!

not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

MA5177
02-23-2012, 3:46 PM
not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

Well go ahead and drive on down, bring a knife and a box .22 ammo. If the mexicans find it you will be in jail, they make the laws as they go down there. I dont care what wiki says, you need to pay alot of money to the right people to get a gun permit in mexico. All I was stating was my opinion for the OP, I would just forget about them.

WDE91
02-23-2012, 4:13 PM
MA5177 the ignorance is starting to overwhelm me...

famas619
02-23-2012, 4:21 PM
You can own handguns in mexico, but the laws are almost like California. Revolver in .38 is the biggest caliber, and in a semi auto .380. You have to get a permit from the army to transport the weapons in mexico from one location to another. I think it might be more of a hassle to try and bring them. If you get stoped at a check point, you will have to show some kind of permit/paper work. Thats just to get them to the border, i dont know what is required on the us side.

ubet
02-24-2012, 6:10 AM
Charros can legally carry said pistol (38 revolvers) down there, on their hips.

ma5177, dont feel bad a little over 500 years ago, people thought the world was flat.

JNunez23
02-24-2012, 7:55 AM
You can own handguns in mexico, but the laws are almost like California. Revolver in .38 is the biggest caliber, and in a semi auto .380. You have to get a permit from the army to transport the weapons in mexico from one location to another. I think it might be more of a hassle to try and bring them. If you get stoped at a check point, you will have to show some kind of permit/paper work. Thats just to get them to the border, i dont know what is required on the us side.

This man is 100% correct! Almost everyone rolls with a .22 if they CAN get the permit. They are also given a plaque that must be attached to the gun.

Good luck with that. Hope you get to keep them.

Oh the internet, full of useless info! lol

motorwerks
02-24-2012, 6:15 PM
put them in a box and mail them to yourself? :)

Totally kidding.

WDE91
02-24-2012, 6:40 PM
^^ one piece at a time, just like Johnny Cash...

pyromensch
02-24-2012, 9:00 PM
check with the ATF, they can ship them there, i am sure they can ship them back :)

04_e46
02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
^^haha

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
You can own handguns in mexico, but the laws are almost like California. Revolver in .38 is the biggest caliber, and in a semi auto .380.

Dont forget about 1911's chambered in .38 super.
They are not allowed to have weapons in military calibers.

MA5177
02-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Let me rephrase , guns are illegal for gringos to be in possession of unless you are going hunting and get a permit to bring a gun down. A Mexican CITIZEN can own a small cal gun if he gets the proper permit which is very hard to do unless you have money and connections. I have a feeling the OP's father was not a citizen of Mexico and this transaction would be very difficult and expensive.

Anyone who thinks they can just bring a 38 with them to Mexico will have a big wake up call if caught with it.

Go ahead hate away :boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:

freonr22
02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Ups or fed ex pieces? To ffl?

Dirtbikindad393
02-25-2012, 4:10 PM
Just another tid bit of info. The guns were regestered to him in the US legally. My father and his wife sailed on his personal boat to Mexico and stayed for 10 years. He had the guns on the boat and ended up selling the boat there after he became to fragile to live on a boat and they rented a house instead. he got cancer and came to the states for treatment and passed away here. Thus the guns are there and l it looks like they will be really hard to get here. That is too bad would love to have them wheels.

paul0660
02-25-2012, 4:15 PM
MA5177 the ignorance is starting to overwhelm me...

Unless he isn't serious.........

Never mind.

paul0660
02-25-2012, 4:18 PM
Let me rephrase , guns are illegal for gringos to be in possession of unless you are going hunting and get a permit to bring a gun down. A Mexican CITIZEN can own a small cal gun if he gets the proper permit which is very hard to do unless you have money and connections. I have a feeling the OP's father was not a citizen of Mexico and this transaction would be very difficult and expensive.

Anyone who thinks they can just bring a 38 with them to Mexico will have a big wake up call if caught with it.

That is better, but Mexican citizens and also permanent residents can possess handguns less than 9mm in their homes. Many do.

Lacking respect, and hating, are not the same thing.

mtsul
02-25-2012, 4:22 PM
love this^^

BDH
02-25-2012, 8:25 PM
Take pictures, keep the memories, and deep six the revolvers. Your family doesn't want memories of you in a Mexican jail. Remember, guilty until proven innocent.
Bruce

BDH
02-25-2012, 8:25 PM
Take pictures, keep the memories, and deep six the revolvers. Your family doesn't want memories of you in a Mexican jail. Remember, guilty until proven innocent.
Bruce

JohnCriswell
02-26-2012, 5:10 PM
If they were registered to him here in the states, then just ship them back piece by piece. Re-assemble them when they get here. It's not like he told the govt when he took them in the first place, right? Then follow the standard protocol for inheriting guns when a loved one passes away.

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-26-2012, 8:35 PM
If they were registered to him here in the states, then just ship them back piece by piece. Re-assemble them when they get here. It's not like he told the govt when he took them in the first place, right? Then follow the standard protocol for inheriting guns when a loved one passes away.

Thats horrible advice. Do not break the law. Keep the memories, not the felonies.

Ikazamay
02-26-2012, 9:01 PM
How about take it apart, cut the frame in half, ship them back. Than weld it back together or not and hang on the wall?

smittty
02-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Shipping parts is a lost cause. Any mail would get opened and anything valuable will be stolen. Then the senders address would probably get robbed.

Smartest thing you can do is remember your dad but forget about the guns.

Sorry for your loss.

gwanghoops
02-27-2012, 8:20 AM
Stupid Story:

In the late 1980s when I was younger and dumber, I drove down to Tijuana for some sightseeing and just happened to have an assault rifle and pistol. Of course, I didn't know the laws, but on the Mexico side waiting to get back into the US, I decided to throw a towel over the clearly visible guns in my hatchback. I'm slightly smarter now.

bill_k_lopez
02-27-2012, 8:42 AM

Currently the laws have been relaxed for first time foreign offenders - anything .380 or under will get you a $1000 fine and no jail time. Anything over .380 is considered a "military" caliber and will get you in big trouble, including jail time as well as a much larger fine.

Mexican citizens can own weapons, as many of my family members do hunt and shoot - but don't try and compare this to the US. They pay BIG dollars to own guns legally, and are required to do all kinds of nonsense like belong to a "shooting" club and pay hefty dues to the club (which I'm sure is run by the chief of police or some judge from their towns).