View Full Version : Reccomend Safe

Montu
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Hello,

My firearms collection has just started but I need an all around safe

here is the list of requirements:
Fire resistant
Theft resistant
Must be able to accommodate a small amount of firearms both hand guns and long guns
Should have shelves for storing other valuables such as expensive Jewelry and sensitive paper work and of course ammo.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91K5b44SOSL._AA1500_.jpg
an interior like that is what I'm thinking will work

I know this wont be cheap but what are my most affordable options?

RaiderNation
02-23-2012, 3:55 PM
What is budget? I just got a liberty 20 gun safe for $799. With tax and inside delivery total cost was $1099.00.

chiselchst
02-23-2012, 4:08 PM
Sturdy Safe.

Get the best, from a local builder. Check out their website to learn more. They also sometimes have over runs on special.

www.sturdysafe.com

Just to add; Everyone will say to buy a BIGGER safe than you want, as you'll need the space. I'd like to add - buy a HIGHER quality safe than you initially planned. You will NOT be sorry.

WWDHD?
02-23-2012, 8:24 PM
Another vote for Sturdy. Not only is it US made, they are CA made.
At least check out the website. Lots of good info on what makes a good gunsafe (or RSC if you prefer). Good luck.

Montu
02-24-2012, 8:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys

I'll probably need to keep an eye out for a good deal as I was trying to see if i could keep it below 1,000

WWDHD?
02-24-2012, 8:29 AM
Thanks for the info guys

I'll probably need to keep an eye out for a good deal as I was trying to see if i could keep it below 1,000

If theres a Liberty Safe store in your area you might want to check then out. The one near San Jose is advertising in my local newspaper a big sale on leftover 2011 models and other closeouts. They make nice safes with good interiors and other features like lights and power outlets. Most are US made.
Other than that for under $1000 check out the Big Horn safes sold through Costco. They are made in China but generally have good reviews.

NeenachGuy
02-24-2012, 2:23 PM
I'd go with an AMSEC BF Series safe. I don't want to start another AMSEC BF series versus Sturdy discussion, but either one is great. I'd stay away from the cheaper Liberty safes, if you want something that is quality construction. Both AMSEC and Sturdy have better overall construction, than the Liberty safes, at least that's what I came away with after doing all the research. I ended up getting an AMSEC BF 6032, and I love it.

If you're going to spend less than $1500, it probably doesn't matter which one you get, because they're all about the same at least in terms of the protection you'll get (IMHO). So in that price range, I'd focus more on the interior organization and size.

WWDHD?
02-24-2012, 2:58 PM
The BF is a great safe but theres no way your going to get one for $1000.
I got my Sturdy 24x32 for around $1350 or so. I did it a lot different than most: I picked up the safe myself with my truck and saved on shipping (gas was cheaper then) and I paid cash (small discount). Also I passed on the fire lining. As good as Sturdy's fire lining is it adds a lot to the price and I live less than half a mile from a firehouse. Besides I bought the safe for security from thieves anyways. Very happy with my Sturdy. The AMSEC BF safes I was looking at when shopping for a safe were $2000+.

NeenachGuy
02-24-2012, 3:28 PM
The BF is a great safe but theres no way your going to get one for $1000.
I got my Sturdy 24x32 for around $1350 or so. I did it a lot different than most: I picked up the safe myself with my truck and saved on shipping (gas was cheaper then) and I paid cash (small discount). Also I passed on the fire lining. As good as Sturdy's fire lining is it adds a lot to the price and I live less than half a mile from a firehouse. Besides I bought the safe for security from thieves anyways. Very happy with my Sturdy. The AMSEC BF safes I was looking at when shopping for a safe were $2000+.

That's right... I didn't mean to imply that you could get one for such a low price. I got my BF6032 for about $1899 or so.

canative
02-24-2012, 7:55 PM
I have a Liberty safe, check them out. They have a good selection of sizes and price options. They also have a lifetime guarantee.

stangman86gt
02-24-2012, 7:56 PM
+1 sturdy

DangerousGoods
02-24-2012, 10:52 PM
+11 Sturdy, because 11 is better than 10. The best investment you will ever make. It ain't cheep, but the best never is. Plus they take care of their customers, before and after purchase. Their safe with the full fire lining can't be beat.

Ken

WWDHD?
02-24-2012, 11:21 PM
If you really need fire lining in your safe Sturdys is the best but it adds a lot to the price ($600+). Its better than the sheet rock most others use. Again, this is all on the Sturdy website. Even If you don't buy one theres lots of good info about gun safes in general. Just saying.....

rb765
02-25-2012, 6:40 AM
+1 on Sturdy. Great bunch of guys. If you are in the area, ask them about factory blems. They are usually only paint blems and will knock off a few hundred off the price. Also, blems are in stock so no waiting.

Satex
02-25-2012, 5:00 PM
Hello,

here is the list of requirements:
Fire resistant
Theft resistant
Must be able to accommodate a small amount of firearms both hand guns and long guns
Should have shelves for storing other valuables such as expensive Jewelry and sensitive paper work and of course ammo.

What is "fire resistant"?
What is "theft resistant"?
Those are mushy words that can mean a lot to many people.
There are many grades of "X resistance" many of which are bogus.

Also, why would you waste volume with ammo?

rb765
02-25-2012, 5:07 PM
I would keep ammo in my safe because it's darn expensive. With good ammo going for about $20 a box, it adds up fast and if I was a crankster breaking into a house, ammo would be one of the things I steal because it can be converted to cash on the street even faster than jewelry or electronics.

REDPATCHUSMC
02-25-2012, 7:20 PM
Costco!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11706474&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|PopularProductsInCateg ory

$599 Cannon safe - Free Delivery - comes with a door organizer - great for pistols and papers - 30 min Fire resistant / able to be bolted down = Theft resistant.

Great Warranty!

Sale Ends Feb. 26 - But this is the 2nd safe they have had on sale this year! ( I just bought the Cannon myself)

If you cannot pull the trigger ASAP - be patient, another deal will come!

If not Costco - I second the Liberty - ( It was more safe & $$ than I felt I needed )

Saym14
02-25-2012, 7:56 PM
Costco!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11706474&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|PopularProductsInCateg ory

$599 Cannon safe - Free Delivery - comes with a door organizer - great for pistols and papers - 30 min Fire resistant / able to be bolted down = Theft resistant.

Great Warranty!

Sale Ends Feb. 26 - But this is the 2nd safe they have had on sale this year! ( I just bought the Cannon myself)

If not Costco - I second the Liberty - ( It was more safe & $$ than I felt I needed )

NICE organizer

I got the Cannon from COstco for that price but a slightly different model. love it.

roushstage2
02-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Costco!

Great Warranty!

The Safari model only has a 1 year warranty. Spend the $599 at Tractor Supply Co. and get the same size safe, but with the lifetime warranty. I just picked mine up today! :cool:

REDPATCHUSMC
02-26-2012, 12:00 PM
The Safari model only has a 1 year warranty. Spend the $599 at Tractor Supply Co. and get the same size safe, but with the lifetime warranty. I just picked mine up today! :cool:

They just opened a TSC one town away. I called them but was so turned off by the reception I got, I decided to go with Costco. And being Costco, if I don't like it I can return it ( with a flatbed) anytime no questions asked!

roushstage2
02-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Both of them I called were fine. Sounds like the new store needs to weed out the new employees is all. No excuse, just saying. I'd rather have a lifetime warranty than "stickin' it to 'em" over some fool on the phone. I only had to deal with them from when I walked in to pay for it until they loaded it into the truck. Cannon deals with everything from here on out with the warranty.

REDPATCHUSMC
03-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Both of them I called were fine. Sounds like the new store needs to weed out the new employees is all. No excuse, just saying. I'd rather have a lifetime warranty than "stickin' it to 'em" over some fool on the phone. I only had to deal with them from when I walked in to pay for it until they loaded it into the truck. Cannon deals with everything from here on out with the warranty.

You thought about warranty really sunk in. I stopped my order on the Cannon safe. Then I ordered the new safe they have, Big Horn, which came with the lifetime warranty for workmanship, fire & theft. I feel better now! Thanks for your advice!

And I saved $40 because it was less!

roushstage2
03-02-2012, 1:05 PM
You thought about warranty really sunk in. I stopped my order on the Cannon safe. Then I ordered the new safe they have, Big Horn, which came with the lifetime warranty for workmanship, fire & theft. I feel better now! Thanks for your advice!

And I saved $40 because it was less!
Nice! I think the moment that something would have happened after that 1 year warranty was up, it'd be a big :facepalm: moment. Congrats on the safe! I'm loving mine! It's nice to have one, secure container to put everything in.

Sunday
03-02-2012, 6:14 PM
Costco!

Great Warranty!

If not Costco - I second the Liberty - ( It was more safe & $$ than I felt I needed )Made in China????

Mikeinblack
03-02-2012, 9:22 PM
I love my Liberty! I must have spent 40 hours doing research before I went with them...

Cnynrat
03-02-2012, 9:26 PM
Another vote for the Amsec BF series. I ended up choosing the BF 6032. My only complaint is I would like to have gotten a bigger safe, but this was the largest that would fit in our space.

Federalist
03-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Did anyone recommend Sturdy yet? :D

No nonsense. Great products. Great customer service. Great value for the $$$.

roushstage2
03-03-2012, 2:07 AM
Did anyone recommend Sturdy yet? :D

I was trying to see if i could keep it below 1,000
That's probably why no one has :)

CaffeinFeign
03-03-2012, 9:58 PM
I picked up a Superior Safe and love it..:).all the options that I was looking for. (wanted 90 min burn time) Was looking to buy a Liberty, but saw this on sale. Couldn't be happier...

Sanman023
03-04-2012, 8:59 AM
visalia safe is not a bad choice either...