PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to do FTF PPT?

G. Freeman
02-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Guys,
I've never done a face-to-face PPT before. What is the proper way to pay or receive money that protects both the buyer and the seller?

I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

Ripon83
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't know the "proper" way but I've bought and sold through gun shops. I arrange to meet at the gun shop, pay the buyer, or collect from the seller then do the paper work (after inspections of course). I usually call the gun shop; found one that needed an appointment to do PPT work - I don't go back there. Others say just come in.

jvc707
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
^ what he said ^

keenkeen
02-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Brown paper bag, standard blind drop protocols apply.

Or-

Buy 2 matching breifcases, then when the day of the PPT arrives...

axel4488
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
I prefer the monetary transaction be done outside of the gun store. Some of them try to charge sales tax on the price you are buying it for.

sfhondapilot
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I prefer the monetary transaction be done outside of the gun store. Some of them try to charge sales tax on the price you are buying it for.

Be sure to confirm with the FFL how much they charge for the transfer as well as the use tax exemption on PPTs. It will save you a ton of grief.

I have the money in a plain envelope and hand over the money after inspection and paperwork.

Rebellious
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
First, agree to meet at an FFL Dealer. Inspect the gun and ask questions, how many rounds through it? Original owner? Etc, etc? Have the agreed upon amount already counted out in an envelope, no counter offers at this point. Once inspection is passed hand over the funds. Usually buyer pays PPT fees. If your purchasing a handgun be sure to bring your CA Drivers License, HSC card and secondary proof of residency. If your ID doesn't reflect your current address be sure that your secondary proof is issued by the state. If purchasing a long-gun all you need is your CA Drivers License given that your address is current.

G. Freeman
02-23-2012, 8:32 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your advise. One question of concern though, if I'm the buyer, how can I be sure the gun was not stolen?

I guess the risk of this is small due to the fact that the seller also has to produce a driver's license?

But I want to make sure the gun is "clean" before dropping cash. Otherwise, if the paper transaction is denied I can still get my money back.

Does this scenario even happen?

Thanks.

Ripon83
02-23-2012, 8:45 PM
I'm guessing its happened - I just haven't heard of it happening. Perhaps an FFL can chime in on how long it would be - before they know that?

You nailed it on one part though; proper ID would be taken of the seller so it might be tough to get your money back - but not impossible.

Rebellious
02-24-2012, 2:15 AM
Since the seller has to produce a valid CA ID I'd imagine you could get your money back given you go through legal channels. If your buying from someone on this forum check their iTrader feedback, if it's some random Joe try to be the best judge of character when you meet them. I should add that I have purchased used guns on this forum in the past and haven't had an issue.

alfred1222
02-24-2012, 9:34 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your advise. One question of concern though, if I'm the buyer, how can I be sure the gun was not stolen?

I guess the risk of this is small due to the fact that the seller also has to produce a driver's license?

But I want to make sure the gun is "clean" before dropping cash. Otherwise, if the paper transaction is denied I can still get my money back.

Does this scenario even happen?

Thanks.

The way its always worked for me is that we examine the gun, than fill out all the paper work. after the background check is run (it takes a solid 10 minutes, sometimes less), my FFL tells either me or the buyer to pay the other guy. at that point, i know everything is in the clear, that this guy checks out, and the gun is fine. i pay or get paid, than we both walk out.

SanPedroShooter
02-25-2012, 6:00 AM
Do mean background check on the gun, like AFS or something? Are you speaking as a gun store employee? I dont really understand your role in your scenario.