PDA

View Full Version : CFD Licensing Requirements - Letter from Attorney General?

meazn123
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of getting CFD, and I've got everything else ready. Now, LA County (I'm in unincorporated area, so it belongs to LAC) is requesting $750 for business license, plus $350 for a site plan review (from regional development, zoning) that'd take an additional 2 months. Obviously, that's not the only way to be able to get licensed locally according to below excerpt from DOJ FAQ section. But what are the other two ways?

On CalDOJ BOF, it stated the requirement on local license as follows:

A local license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority, valid for one year from the date of issuance, and in one of the following forms:

1. In the form prescribed by the Attorney General;

2. A regulatory or business license that states on its face, "Valid for Retail Sales of Firearms" and endorsed by the signature of the issuing authority; or

3. A letter from the licensing authority stating that the jurisdiction does not require any form of regulatory or business license or does not otherwise restrict or regulate the sale of firearms. After obtaining the above licenses, an Application for Centralized List and appropriate fees are submitted to the DOJ. Upon approval of the application, the dealer will be given a CFD number and placed on the Centralized List of firearms dealers.

What is the "form prescribed by the Attorney General" on number 1., does anybody know?

Regarding the "letter from the licensing authority stating that the jurisdiction does not require any form of regulatory or business license"; My regional planning (zoning) tells me that there's no regulation on my zone regulating firearm dealers, but my business license department tells me that a business for gun dealers is necessary. Do I still need to go through all the hassle/fees if my zone is not regulated, or can I just get a letter stating there's not regulation and skip the local business license and site plan review?

Thanks for responding!

halifax
02-23-2012, 3:41 PM
I'm pretty sure "In the form prescribed by the Attorney General" only means the license must clearly state on its face "Valid for Retail Sales of Firearms". Mine says "licensed firearms dealer under Penal Code 12071"

Anyway, that's my best guess...

I'm not sure what "Letter from Attorney General" you are referring to.

mcgill
02-23-2012, 9:18 PM
If you are seeking the absolute legal answer, you should contact the CA DOJ directly.

Based on the research I did, my understanding is the numbers 1, 2, and 3 under paragraph "e" do NOT represent three choices; the characters instead simply are used to number the three subparagraphs.

Paragraph "e" only offers two choices:

One - a local license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority, valid for one year from the date of issuance, in the form prescribed by the Attorney General; a regulatory or business license that states on its face, "Valid for Retail Sales of Firearms" and endorsed by the signature of the issuing authority;

or

Two - a letter from the licensing authority stating that the jurisdiction does not require any form of regulatory or business license or does not otherwise restrict or regulate the sale of firearms.

meazn123
03-15-2012, 2:10 PM
Ahhhh~~~~ Cool, Thanks guys!