PDA

View Full Version : Orange County range recommendations?

Chrushev
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Id like to go to a range more regularly. Ive only been to Insight range in Artesia. Its 18$ (with your own gun/ammo) and 10$ for additional person. So ends up being around 30$ per trip.

I was wondering if thats normal pricing? What do you guys pay to go shoot?

Any range recommendations in Orange County, CA?

Obviously id like to pay as little as possible :)

Budd
02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Where do you live?

Chrushev
02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Where do you live?

I have 2 places that I stay at.. one in Irvine/Tustin area, and the other in Cypress/Long Beach/Los Alamitos area.

MyNamesMeToo
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
id recommend on-target in laguna niguel (for when you're in tustin/ irvine). their prices are pretty much the same though. $18 a lane + $8 for additional person. if you plan on shooting often, i'd suggest getting a membership. i am currently considering it.

Field Time should be opening up in Stanton soon. I plan on trying them out, my parents live in that area, while my wife an I live in South OC.

bac0n16
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I've just recently checked out Evans Gunsmithing Shooters World (http://www.egsw.com/home.htm) and I would highly recommend checking them out.

I'm really liking this place considering the fact that they're always sherifs or law enforcement officers around so I feel safe. The staff are very helpful and kind, price are fair just like any where else. They have a decent selection of firearms to check out or even rent if you want to try something new.

Budd
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I have 2 places that I stay at.. one in Irvine/Tustin area, and the other in Cypress/Long Beach/Los Alamitos area.

I live in Seal Beach - and keep a membership at the Firing Line in Huntington Beach. If you shoot once a month it pays for itself. It is not the best range - but it is clean and the clientele are for the most part as well.

DVSmith
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I've just recently checked out Evans Gunsmithing Shooters World (http://www.egsw.com/home.htm) and I would highly recommend checking them out.

I'm really liking this place considering the fact that they're always sherifs or law enforcement officers around so I feel safe. The staff are very helpful and kind, price are fair just like any where else. They have a decent selection of firearms to check out or even rent if you want to try something new.

+1^^

Chrushev
02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
How much are you guys paying for memberships? Is it a monthly or a yearly?

Sgt. J Beezy
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
+1 for Evans Gunsmithing. Right off of the 57 and Katella. Ma and Pa shop. A couple of the guys can be *****s at times but can't we all?

BoJackUSMC
02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Firing Line has $75 for one year membership for LEO/Military personnel. I think $150 for non LEO and Military personnel. I prefer Place to Shoot outdoor range.

dousan
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I go to the firing line in hb every weekend
Dudes are super cool and I've never had any issues there. Chatted up with a few shooters there as well
Always a chance of douchebags and hot shots but that's really anywhere you go minus private land/range

Black Majik
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Give the OC Sheriff's range a try. Last I remember it was $7 and they provide free paper targets. Best electronic target puller as it's all digital, enter the yardage you want to set your target, and it's automatic. 25 yard range, only other 25 yard range is On Target in Laguna Niguel.

Oh, and on bright sunny days they open the roof for some really nice lighting and fresh air.

gorenut
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I go to Firing Line in HB. Its usually well ventilated and the dividers are decent enough that I don't get too much brass from the lanes next to me hitting me. I've been to OC Indoor in Brea.. and the ventilation was really bad.. the range was like 80+ degrees. The dividers were also poor and I was getting brass from other lanes consistently hitting me.

One bad thing about Firing Line though.. is that it can get crowded. I wish they had a limit to how many people per lane.

BoJackUSMC
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
+1 for OC Sheriff's Range.. very nice

lugee
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I've been to most of the OC (Evans, firing line, etc) ranges and every single one has it's issue, mostly their employees. if I shoot in door, I go to On Target. on in door I haven't had problems. otherwise I make the drive to burro canyon since I have a membership there.

smokingloon
02-23-2012, 12:44 PM
OC sheriff's range is a nice range. They just have limited hours and different rules like only 5 is the mag. But, they are only $7.

Chrushev
02-23-2012, 1:12 PM
OC sheriff's range is a nice range. They just have limited hours and different rules like only 5 is the mag. But, they are only $7.

Do they provide ear/eye protection?

Oceanbob
02-23-2012, 1:15 PM
PLUS 1000 with ON TARGET..!

Get a yearly membership for a couple hundred. Pays for itself soon. Nice bunch of people; good gun store as well.

Be well, Bob

mixicus
02-23-2012, 1:28 PM
I hit different ranges depending on what I want to do.

If it's basic indoor handgun: OC Indoor in Brea. Nothing wrong with Firing Line in HB or Insight either. Brea is generally closer for me. OC Sheriff's range (Katella/57) is great but 1) it's has more limited days/hours and they are subject to change depending on LE training. It's also an indoor/outdoor range with electronic target carriers so it it's raining, the range is closed. There's also a bit more restrictive on the rules. But still a great place to practice especially at 25 yards.

Prado in Chino isn't bad for an outdoor pistol range. But if I want to shoot and move, I prefer Rahaague's a few more miles down the road. Both these ranges have weekend matches so it can get crowded. Rahaague's has some bench rifle shooting (100yds).

For more rifle work, I tend to go to Angeles Shooting Range or Burro Canyon. During the week ASR has paper targets out to 300 yards (200 on weekends) and steel out to 600yds all the time. Burro has a nice rifle line plus you can rent a private ranges fairly easily.

Hourly rates vary but they are on the respective websites. At indoor ranges, memberships area good deal if you are going to go more than once a month (rates vary).

rogervzv
02-23-2012, 5:25 PM
I live in Seal Beach - and keep a membership at the Firing Line in Huntington Beach. If you shoot once a month it pays for itself. It is not the best range - but it is clean and the clientele are for the most part as well.

+1. And the annual membership charge is very reasonable. I shoot almost exclusively at Firing Line, which is only about 3 miles from the house.

Evan's Shooter's World is also very good. Great gunsmiths there too.

Swoop
02-23-2012, 5:28 PM
I like Evan's and OC Sherrifs range in Orange

BillPear
02-23-2012, 5:35 PM
Definately the OC Sherriffs Range I drive past the Firing line in HB to go there.
Only prob. for some is the limited hours, at $7.00 I canwork around them!

I'd be happy to meet you there if it makes you more comfortable, any excuse I can get!

Milspec714
02-23-2012, 10:23 PM
my home away from home

http://www.ocindoorrange.com/rangeinfo.upfl

Chrushev
02-24-2012, 9:13 AM
Definately the OC Sherriffs Range I drive past the Firing line in HB to go there.
Only prob. for some is the limited hours, at $7.00 I canwork around them!

I'd be happy to meet you there if it makes you more comfortable, any excuse I can get!

I might take you up on that offer :) I should be OK tho, I dont mind LEO, in fact when I see one eating lunch or something I just want to ask them about their guns and how they feel about em/what they like better etc... but I dont because I dont want them to think I am crazy and arrest me.

Oldnoob
02-24-2012, 9:27 AM
I like OC Indoor Range. Their monthly membership is cheap and their staffs are friendly.

ThortheDog
02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I like OC Indoor, also. My son bought me an annual membership for Father's Day, so I'm able to go for the cost of gas, ammo and targets. In addition to the staff being friendly and helpful, we have always felt it's a safe environment.

LBDamned
02-24-2012, 5:47 PM
Give the OC Sheriff's range a try. Last I remember it was $7 and they provide free paper targets. Best electronic target puller as it's all digital, enter the yardage you want to set your target, and it's automatic. 25 yard range, only other 25 yard range is On Target in Laguna Niguel.

Oh, and on bright sunny days they open the roof for some really nice lighting and fresh air.

yep. By far the best range and best pricing... but limited hours/days

I frequent Evans, but it's small and often crowded (I still go there 'cause its close)... Firing Line in HB (only been there twice and it was years ago), OC Indoor Range in Brea, decent size, it's been at least 7 years since I've been there.

OC Sheriff range is clean, big, state of the art, good people (shooting and working there), and super cheap. It's my favorite range, but I can't go that often (unless I'm off work weekday).

And a new range opening in Stanton (slated for April) "Field Time Target & Training" - not sure if it's affiliated with Field Time Sports and Guns... looks to be a good place - big and since it's new it will be quality state of the art stuff (not 20 year old cloths line target return systems)... the location, size, and fact that it's new will make this my new go to range.

Green Ice Dragon
02-24-2012, 6:24 PM
Definitely looking forward to the Field Time Target & Training range. I always liked Iron Sights in Oceanside but that is a bit of a drive for me. Glad there will be a similar range nearby. I normally don't buy annual memberships but will definitely get one here. Can hardly wait!

LBDamned
02-24-2012, 7:57 PM
Definitely looking forward to the Field Time Target & Training range. I always liked Iron Sights in Oceanside but that is a bit of a drive for me. Glad there will be a similar range nearby. I normally don't buy annual memberships but will definitely get one here. Can hardly wait!

I was considering membership too... looks like they have limited number (available to purchase now, even though they arent open yet)...

We should plan a CalGuns shoot there on/near opening day...

Green Ice Dragon
02-24-2012, 8:05 PM
I was considering membership too... looks like they have limited number (available to purchase now, even though they arent open yet)...

We should plan a CalGuns shoot there on/near opening day...

I believe they are not selling memberships now but what you do is sign up to guarantee you get the "early bird" special pricing.

BigFatGuy
02-24-2012, 8:16 PM
The Firing Line has one thing I don't like: the motor that drives the target system is 6'6" over the floor... and I'm 6'6" tall. Nice people otherwise. I also have a vague memory that the AC here was too strong, and it blew the targets around.

Sharpshooters is kind of expensive, and parking sucks, but they allow shotguns, the range is decently long, lots of lanes, and nice people. Plus, a kind of cute asian chick working the register when I was there.

I like OC Indoor, very low douchebag factor. It does get hot in the summer. also very crowded sometimes.

Evan's is a nice range, but they sometimes seem like they don't like having customers around.

smokingloon
02-24-2012, 9:00 PM
Do they provide ear/eye protection?

Yes they do. They have soft ear plugs as well as ear muffs.

Striker
02-24-2012, 9:09 PM
I like Evans. I know those guys and they're great. I went to OC Indoor in Brea once and didn't care for it, so I never went back. I went to Insight in Artesia a couple of times. It was alright. For me, Evans is by far the best indoor range in the OC.

LBDamned
02-25-2012, 9:15 AM
I believe they are not selling memberships now but what you do is sign up to guarantee you get the "early bird" special pricing.

indeed you are correct... I hadnt attempted to buy until you mentioned it... looks like they dont ask for cc info (even to reserve)...

I wonder how many submitted request to get the cheap and then will back out?... I'm holding off for now, I dont want to sign up until I know I'm committed - and dont want to commit until I have a better feel for the place... but I suspect it will be win!

aznanimekid
02-28-2012, 3:06 AM
Anyone know where to shoot rifles in oc?

LBDamned
02-28-2012, 5:14 AM
Anyone know where to shoot rifles in oc?

Evans - on select nights three times per month 6:00-9:00, call them for dates. It get crowded (only 5 or 6 lanes on the long gun side).

Also Field Time (the new range discussed earlier in thread) opens in April - no details on their long gun rules other than all calibers are allowed.