PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Barrel with Permanant Flash Hider/Comp

BlindRacer
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I've been researching the laws regarding barrel length. While everything seems to check out with regards to a 14.5" barrel, with a 1.5" or greater, permanently attached flash hider or compensator, is it an okay idea in California?

I know there are many things that are legal, but may not be a good idea here in Cali, and I didn't know if this was one of them.

Thanks for the help.

notme92069
02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been researching the laws regarding barrel length. While everything seems to check out with regards to a 14.5" barrel, with a 1.5" or greater, permanently attached flash hider or compensator, is it an okay idea in California?

I know there are many things that are legal, but may not be a good idea here in Cali, and I didn't know if this was one of them.

Thanks for the help.

I believe Parallax stocks them in San Diego. Check them out

Akers
02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
It is what I run. I have a PSA with a pinned hider, 100% legal.

Akers
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Also need to make sure your over all length is within the law too, not just barrel

BlindRacer
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Also need to make sure your over all length is within the law too, not just barrel

What is your overall length for your setup? With 14.5" +hider (~16" total)? And do you have a collapsible stock?

I thought these were well above Cali's 30" minimum, but not sure, and can't find specific measurements in a google search.

CHS
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM

It's a non-issue in CA.

bobgengeskahn
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I did something similar on my 188 series Mini-14 and it's never been an issue. I had one guy get out the tape measure on me, but it was more funny than anything else.

CHS
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I had one guy get out the tape measure on me, but it was more funny than anything else.

Did you tell him that was the wrong way to measure a barrel to begin with? :)

SanPedroShooter
02-23-2012, 1:22 PM
What is your overall length for your setup? With 14.5" +hider (~16" total)? And do you have a collapsible stock?

I thought these were well above Cali's 30" minimum, but not sure, and can't find specific measurements in a google search.

My 14.5 LMT with a 1.5 inch VLTOR VC1 hider and Magpul CTR stock (fully collapsed) is just over 30 inches if I recall correctly.

CHS
02-23-2012, 3:08 PM

It's pretty damn hard to get an AR15 in CA to go below 30" without actually triggering Federal SBR laws :)

Moonshine
02-23-2012, 6:40 PM
My understanding is that this is a BATF issue not a Cali issue (although SBRs are banned in Cali so the only way to run a 14.5" here is with something permed). Be aware though that if you perm a flash hider to the barrel you have permed yourself into a Bullet Button build. If you want to ever go featureless use a muzzle break like a Phantom Comp 2 from YHM.

BlindRacer
02-24-2012, 9:04 AM
My understanding is that this is a BATF issue not a Cali issue (although SBRs are banned in Cali so the only way to run a 14.5" here is with something permed). Be aware though that if you perm a flash hider to the barrel you have permed yourself into a Bullet Button build. If you want to ever go featureless use a muzzle break like a Phantom Comp 2 from YHM.

I was wanting to know if police hassled people a lot because of the 14.5 + permanent whatever. I think I got my answer here. Seems I may be up against more scrutiny, but it's not really anything to worry about as long as it all checks out.

I've never actually had run ins with cops while shooting. Guess I've been lucky at Burro Canyon, and where I go in the desert is the middle of no where, and I've never had a visit out there.

Also, I have no problem with a bullet button build. That's what I'm looking at right now. And there's really no point for me to have a featureless build at this point. No standard cap mags, and no reason to do super fast mag changes, so I'm fine with the bullet button.