PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 SS TRP question

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 6:07 AM
Alrighty, I have a question for all you 1911 gurus out there. The slide on my TRP is locking up on me about halfway back when I try to rack the slide. It worked fine on Monday when I went to the range and put 100 rounds through it. I cleaned it when I got home cycled the action to function check and put it in the box. Last night I took it out of the box to admire and that's when I started having problems. The slide racked fine the first two times and then it started locking up not even halfway back. It kind of feels like the slide is getting caught on something. Once it locks up I have to push the back of the slide really hard and sometimes give it a good smack with my palm to get it back into battery.

Any advice on what to check out? I'm hoping its just something simple as I'd hate to be without my precious for a couple weeks while it takes a trip back to Springfield :(

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 6:54 AM
Well I just called Springfield and the customer service lady talked to one of their gunsmiths and he recommended I send it in so they can go through it. Off to Springfield :(

Mstnpete
02-23-2012, 7:04 AM
Have you oiled the slide?
It will sometimes do that if there is no oil on the rails.

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 7:08 AM
Have you oiled the slide?
It will sometimes do that if there is no oil on the rails.

Yes I just cleaned it two days ago after the range. I used GunSlick gun lube that I use on all my guns.

BoJackUSMC
02-23-2012, 7:23 AM
I know how you feel about sending your 1911 to Springfield Repair Shop. I have done that before and it sucks. However, Springfield will fix the problem for you for free and they will usually send it back to you within 3 weeks.

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 7:36 AM
I know how you feel about sending your 1911 to Springfield Repair Shop. I have done that before and it sucks. However, Springfield will fix the problem for you for free and they will usually send it back to you within 3 weeks.

That's good to hear. This is my first time using Springfields customer service. Just from the phone conversation I had with the customer service lady it has been top notch. I have no doubt they will resolve the problem I'm just bummed about having to send a brand new gun back for service especially a very well built TRP.

redcliff
02-23-2012, 8:23 AM
Check to make sure that the slide stop is inserted fully and through the link, assuming it is check your ejector for looseness.

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 8:38 AM
Check to make sure that the slide stop is inserted fully and through the link, assuming it is check your ejector for looseness.

Cool ill see if I notice anything when I get home. I'm not going to take it apart though. Ill just let Springfield deal with it.

HellnBack
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I experienced the same thing but with a Colt XSE rail gun.it was caused by the "Pin lock mechanism", the lever that actuates it is causing to do like your problem but you dont have this series 80 thingy. it's interesting to know what causes it. BTW. after diasmbly/assly and made sure everything is smooth, no problem for the next 600 rds in 3 weeks. I am interested on it Bro, I have my SA TRP too but never experienced the same on it.
All the best.

voiceoftheright
02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Cool ill see if I notice anything when I get home. I'm not going to take it apart though. Ill just let Springfield deal with it.

Really? You're not going to disassemble it to see if it's an easy fix after it worked fine at the range and then you disassembled it (I assume) to clean it and now it's not working for some reason? Sometimes I feel bad for Springfield, I think a lot of the "issues" can be self-diagnosed but people just want to use the warranty for problems they most-likely created and can get pre-paid postage. Would you be sending it back without checking it out for yourself if you were paying the postage? For anyone wondering why they can't find any shops with Springfield 1911s...look no further.

Infiniti87
02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Really? You're not going to disassemble it to see if it's an easy fix after it worked fine at the range and then you disassembled it (I assume) to clean it and now it's not working for some reason? Sometimes I feel bad for Springfield, I think a lot of the "issues" can be self-diagnosed but people just want to use the warranty for problems they most-likely created and can get pre-paid postage. Would you be sending it back without checking it out for yourself if you were paying the postage? For anyone wondering why they can't find any shops with Springfield 1911s...look no further.

I have no problem with disassembling it myself and trying to track down the problem. When I called Springfield I told them in detail what the problem was and asked if there was anything they recommend that I look at to resolve the problem myself. The lady put me on hold to talk to one of their gunsmiths. When she came back on the line she said that the gunsmith recommended that I send in the firearm and not to disassemble it so its still in the problem condition when they receive it to identify the problem. Also when hand cycling the action with snap caps after I cleaned it it was functioning just fine and then all of a sudden started getting stuck.