PDA

View Full Version : Para ordnance PX1445S ca. Legal??

4granit
02-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey guys,

I own a px1445s that I bought in 1998 and carried it on duty for five years before a career change. It's at a gunsmith having a bunch of custom mods done to it. I checked the California roster to check para's and several other models to purchase. The para's have several models available that are very similar to mine and several that are basically the same gun just different color etc.

Here's my problem...I bought a px1445s on gunbroker and it was shipped to my FFL and they called today and said it wasn't California legal. I rechecked the roster and it shows several models that have one more number after the s ...but it doesn't show px1445s on the roster. I did some research on the net and it appears that the last letter is most likely the finish on the gun....but they are all the exact same gun.

Was it legal to have it shipped? Or am I screwed? I have a lot of LEO friends that I guess I could sell it to if I had to, but give me a break...it's the same gun.

Also are their any current law suits over this law? If not there should be.

Thanks for any info...the FFL is looking into it and is trying to find out and called para with no response yet.

Another example of idiot politicians trying to make it more difficult for responsible gun owners to own guns. :mad:

modls7
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,

I own a px1445s that I bought in 1998 and carried it on duty for five years before a career change. It's at a gunsmith having a bunch of custom mods done to it. I checked the California roster to check para's and several other models to purchase. The para's have several models available that are very similar to mine and several that are basically the same gun just different color etc.

Here's my problem...I bought a px1445s on gunbroker and it was shipped to my FFL and they called today and said it wasn't California legal. I rechecked the roster and it shows several models that have one more number after the s ...but it doesn't show px1445s on the roster. I did some research on the net and it appears that the last letter is most likely the finish on the gun....but they are all the exact same gun.

Was it legal to have it shipped? Or am I screwed? I have a lot of LEO friends that I guess I could sell it to if I had to, but give me a break...it's the same gun.

Also are their any current law suits over this law? If not there should be.

Thanks for any info...the FFL is looking into it and is trying to find out and called para with no response yet.

Another example of idiot politicians trying to make it more difficult for responsible gun owners to own guns. :mad:

If the model's name is not on the roster verbatim, you can not ship it w/o going SSE.

Para does ship their widebody 1911s with 10rd mags, but decided to rename the model and append an "R" to such models. You would need a PX1445SR, which would be identical to your gun but with 10 rd mags.

Sorry bud, I made the same mistake with a Para also.

77bawls
02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
SSE it, it shouldn't be that hard at all. 1911's are easy you just put long grip screws in it so it doesn't accept a magazine at all.

4granit
02-23-2012, 2:37 PM
What is SSE? I'll look it up.

Shellshocker66
02-23-2012, 3:14 PM
What is SSE? I'll look it up.

Single shot exemption. Big sticky on it in the handgun forum.

4granit
02-23-2012, 4:10 PM
Thank you....!

robcoe
02-23-2012, 5:41 PM
Single shot exemption. Big sticky on it in the handgun forum.

if it uses a standard 1911 barrel then it should be quick and easy to SSE

if the OP is anywhere near Fresno/Visalia PRK is well known for SSE transfers.

4granit
02-23-2012, 9:19 PM
Im all the way up in Chico ca.....I sent the "sticky" link to my FFL today. They were closed by that time ....so I'll see what happens tomorrow. It sounds like some grip screws should do the trick?? I'll see what they say...thanks for the responses.....I'll post tomorrow as to what I hear.

Has the NRA/calguns sued over this?

I'm going to up my donations...there is no sense to this. I have many, many guns .....guns are only as safe as the owner is with them. The free market will decide what companies will make it and what ones won't.

Crappy built stuff won't sell=company goes out of business.

greasemonkey
02-23-2012, 9:34 PM
Im all the way up in Chico ca.....I sent the "sticky" link to my FFL today. They were closed by that time ....so I'll see what happens tomorrow. It sounds like some grip screws should do the trick?? I'll see what they say...thanks for the responses.....I'll post tomorrow as to what I hear.

Has the NRA/calguns sued over this?

I'm going to up my donations...there is no sense to this. I have many, many guns .....guns are only as safe as the owner is with them. The free market will decide what companies will make it and what ones won't.

Crappy built stuff won't sell=company goes out of business.
Sacramento Black Rifle (http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/) or Tracy Rifle & Pistol (www.tracyrifleandpistol.com) are closer to you than Fresno's PRK Arms (www.prkarms.org), still a drive but worth doing. If your FFL is at all interested in learning more about how/why an SSE is legal, in spite of what their incorrect DOJ field agent will try to spook them with (and one of the tells here is the DOJ won't put it in writing that it's illegal, they'll just say it verbally over the phone or in person), have them take a look at Cal-FFL (www.calffl.org) for legal assistance.

Yakman
06-10-2012, 6:49 PM
Rather than start another thread on this typic, I was just looking through Para's website and noticed that the FINALLY make a double stack 1445 single action with integrated light rail. The web site has the product code as P1445SR. But on the CA Roster I find a PX1445SR. Are these the same models? I hate it when California can't keep the models proper as my buddy has a Para and we had a heck of a time confirming that the Para model number listed with Para was the same as the CA Roster model listed.

I have been waiting forever to get my hands on a railed single action double stack Para. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you in advance!

dantodd
06-10-2012, 7:00 PM
Rather than start another thread on this typic, I was just looking through Para's website and noticed that the FINALLY make a double stack 1445 single action with integrated light rail. The web site has the product code as P1445SR. But on the CA Roster I find a PX1445SR. Are these the same models? I hate it when California can't keep the models proper as my buddy has a Para and we had a heck of a time confirming that the Para model number listed with Para was the same as the CA Roster model listed.

I have been waiting forever to get my hands on a railed single action double stack Para. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you in advance!

Not the same model.

Yakman
06-10-2012, 7:11 PM
Well crap. I have been really wanting a railed Para. :cuss::(

IVC
06-11-2012, 8:48 AM
If the model's name is not on the roster verbatim, you can not ship it w/o going SSE.

This is almost always the case, but there are exceptions. The one I know of is SA EMP: on the roster is PI9209L, while the SA model is PI9209LP. When I got mine, I had to clarify that the extra "P" doesn't change the model.

However, most of the time the extra letter(s) denote a different model so it's a no-go. This is true even if it's only about the finish.

Bhobbs
06-11-2012, 8:55 AM
Pena v Cid is the case to overturn the roster.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid

The case has been stayed pending Nordyke which was recently ruled on.

robcoe
06-11-2012, 9:13 AM

Thank you in advance!

If it's a new model gun, unless they added a magazine release safety and figured out how to stuff in a California compliant loaded chamber indicator you will still need to do a SSE, since without those it will not get on the roster.