PDA

View Full Version : Alien Residency - Handguns

jrkleinow
02-22-2012, 9:41 PM
First and foremost I want to thank everyone who will be reading this and helping me. I searched on this site/DOJ/every FAQ from various gun websites and asked workers at FFL stores yet I am having a tough time finding the answer I need.

I am a Legal Resident Alien from your neigbors to the north. In February 2012 I purchased a Shotgun from Big5 and everything went through no problem.

Current situation:
- CDL has old address on it (updated with DMV records but did not pay to get a new liscense as it is on record with the state)
- No utilities or leases are in my name
- Only thing I have that comes to current address is a monthly Credit Card statement (doesnt look like this will work for proof of residency though)
- I have my vehicle registration that is current address (paid within the last 20 days)
- I have my Vehicle Title that was recently paid with current address (within the last 60 days)
- I have insurance with current address (also doesnt look like it will work for handgun purchases)

Question:
If I were to go to DMV to get a printout of my updated change of address in paper or physically get a New liscense with updated address do I have enough information to purchase a handgun in California? (I have all of my Alien registration cards and everything else in check)

Everything seems like it is in a different language that I read and it gets increasingly confusing. Any help from this awesome community would be appreciated. Sorry again if this has been answered but I did make an honest effort to search and resolve this issue prior to posting.

MyGlock17
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
You need 3 or 4 month POR "Proof of Residence"...I believe a Shotgun is different when it comes to buying a firearm since you can't conceal a shotgun...you don't even need your gun license to purchase a shotgun...

All gun stores are some what different when it comes to POR...You basically have to show proof that you've been living at your current address for the last 3 or 4 months and have a Car Registration under your name...

At Target Masters i had to show them my: Green Card, CDL, Gun License, 4 month Bank Statements or 4 Month Cell Phone Bills and a Lease Agreement if you don't have a lease agreement you need to show them your Car Registration with the matching address on your CDL....If you can't get a Car Registration or a Lease Agreement or a Utility Bill then your pretty much out of luck...The Bankstatement and Cellphone Bills is for Federal regulations for greencard holders...If you go on http://targetmasterswest.com/ it'll show you what you need as a resident alien...

chrisf
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh no not another canadian. Why would you come here? You no like medical insurance???

chrisf
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome BTW.

ChaneRZ
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
POR: Bank statements or credit card bills. What I like about Target Master is that they will accept Pay Stubs!!!

jrkleinow
02-23-2012, 5:51 AM
myglock 17 - thank you, unfortunately i am not near the bay area, sounds like i will have to find a store and that some dealers accept different POR's. thank you for the help.

Chrisf - thanks for the greetins, been in California since 1992, and what medical insurance? its hit or miss up there. you can be treated really well for free if you have a broken arm or you can be stuck in a waiting room for 5hrs with two severed legs, a gunshot wound, and a an arm on fire.

ChaneRZ - thank you i will use those, sounds like I might possibly be ok with what I have, just need to find the right store

jrkleinow
02-23-2012, 6:01 AM
Update:
Ok so I dug up the current lease. I am not the Lessee however I am listed where it says this residence will soley have xxxxxxx, My Name, & xxxxxxxx on premises

Also I rung up from DMV indicated my current address associated with my CDL#. It says I can get a DL43 on the DMV website to have a physical piece of paper, I know gun stores arent big on copies.

Now with this and the additional info I have above will that work?

Once again I appreciate your help just want to have my ducks in a row

Lumpia is sarap!ģ
02-23-2012, 7:36 AM
Just get your CDL with the right address on it and the ducks will be shooting.

a1c
02-23-2012, 7:57 AM
POR: Bank statements or credit card bills. What I like about Target Master is that they will accept Pay Stubs!!!

Bank statements or credit card bills are NOT proof of residence. They will not be accepted by most FFLs.

A lease is good, utilities as well (no mobile phone statements though).

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 8:26 AM
Bank statements or credit card bills are NOT proof of residence. They will not be accepted by most FFLs.

A lease is good, utilities as well (no mobile phone statements though).

As a green card holder it works at Target Masters...Trust me i know i purchased one there using a 4 month cell phone bill including a residential lease agreement...It's different for green card holders...But as a US citizen you can't use the cell phone bills or bankstatements you have to use a utilitie bills or a car registration...But yeah most places have different rules alot of them don't take the cell phone bills but others take the bankstatements but they all need the lease agreement with it included...the bankstatements and cellphone bills is federal regulations for greencard holders...

corcoraj2002
02-23-2012, 8:35 AM
I'm a green card holder. Just finished a DROS. Just needed my green card, California ID and 3 months of PG&E bills OR my lease.

Phone around and ask em what they will except.

ChaneRZ
02-23-2012, 8:35 AM
As a green card holder those are the requirements! Trust me coz I
Am one of them! When I purchase a handgun, I show them my CD, Green card, HSC, and 90 days of my CC bill. That's it. US citizens are different. They will not accept CC bill as a POR.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 8:38 AM
As a green card holder those are the requirements! Trust me coz I
Am one of them! When I purchase a handgun, I show them my CD, Green card, HSC, and 90 days of my CC bill. That's it. US citizens are different. They will not accept CC bill as a POR.

+1 this will work...

famas619
02-23-2012, 8:42 AM
You can get the little brown card from DMV that serves as proof of change of address, that is what i have since i moved from my last address.

P.S. Even here in America the wait time for emergency services is hours long, depending on severity of injury.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-23-2012, 8:44 AM
Good info. TFL.

ChaneRZ
02-23-2012, 8:49 AM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/chanerz12/866273f5.jpg

I Rest my Case

littlejake
02-23-2012, 9:23 AM
From what ChaneRZ has posted, it sounds like, although a resident alien must provide proof of 90 days continuous residency, the acceptable documents give a wider latitude to prove that.

To the OP: Welcome. I'm sure you have some combination of documents that will do the job. When a transaction is "out of the norm" for most gun store employees, then they can become unsure of what to do. It's not their fault, as we have too many laws; and most of them are abstruse.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 9:31 AM
From what ChaneRZ has posted, it sounds like, although a resident alien must provide proof of 90 days continuous residency, the acceptable documents give a wider latitude to prove that.

To the OP: Welcome. I'm sure you have some combination of documents that will do the job. When a transaction is "out of the norm" for most gun store employees, then they can become unsure of what to do. It's not their fault, as we have too many laws; and most of them are abstruse.

yup some of the guys at target masters didn't even know i can use my cell phone bills...only a couple people knew that at the store...

jrkleinow
02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
you guys rock! thank you so so much!

quick question for ChaneRZ. where about did you find that? web address would be great or just directions on how to search for that literature, thank you again Calguns members!

littlejake
02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
"The Department of Justice (the Department) has recently concluded that, as a matter of law, applying a more stringent State residency requirement for aliens legally present in the U.S. than for U.S. citizens is incompatible with the language of the GCA. As a result, ATF will be revising the regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 to conform to the Departmentís conclusions by removing the separate 90-day residency requirement for aliens. Once the regulations have been revised, both U.S. citizens and aliens legally present in the U.S. will be subject to the same requirements for State residency and proof of residency. ATF is in the process of amending its forms to conform to the statute as well."

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2011/12/122211-atf-open-letter-state-of-residence.pdf

corcoraj2002
02-23-2012, 1:10 PM
"The Department of Justice (the Department) has recently concluded that, as a matter of law, applying a more stringent State residency requirement for aliens legally present in the U.S. than for U.S. citizens is incompatible with the language of the GCA. As a result, ATF will be revising the regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 to conform to the Departmentís conclusions by removing the separate 90-day residency requirement for aliens. Once the regulations have been revised, both U.S. citizens and aliens legally present in the U.S. will be subject to the same requirements for State residency and proof of residency. ATF is in the process of amending its forms to conform to the statute as well."

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2011/12/122211-atf-open-letter-state-of-residence.pdf

Wow good find. Printing out the bills from PG&E was never a real issue but I did have a house mate that did not have any of the util's in his name so he couldn't get a firearm till he took over the bill (and waited 3 months).

ChaneRZ
02-23-2012, 2:11 PM
you guys rock! thank you so so much!

quick question for ChaneRZ. where about did you find that? web address would be great or just directions on how to search for that literature, thank you again Calguns members!

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

jrkleinow
02-23-2012, 6:19 PM
you're the man chanerz