PDA

View Full Version : SIG P220 Elite Dark, Combat, Elite Stainless

HuangYiChao
02-22-2012, 8:13 PM
If you can only choose one from these three for SHTF and everything else which one would you pick and why? I am asking because I am having a tough time deciding which one to pick up. Each has something I like and something I dislike. Please keep price, obtainability, and other firearms out of this.

Elite Dark
Pros:
- All black looks cool
- SIG logo aluminum grips (I know they are from Hogue Extreme but I like the SIG logo on them)
- Beavertail
Cons:
- Frame is aluminum (I prefer all steel since they are more durable)
- No chrome barrel ??
- No phosphate internals ??

Combat
Pros:
- Chrome Barrel
- Phosphate internals
Cons:
- I prefer all black guns (Never seen the FDE on the combat and unsure if I would like it or not)
- No beavertail
- Frame is aluminum
- No aluminum grips

Elite Stainless
Pros:
- Frame and Slide all Stainless (From extensive research online I read articles with photo evidence that show faster wear on aluminum frame)
- Feels more solid because of the weight
- Has beavertail
Cons:
- Not black (I could always have it finished in something black)
- No aluminum grips
- No chrome barrel
- No phosphate internals

These are all subjective to what I want and if I can get them all into one P220 that would be great. I have been considering buying a Combat and either one of the other two and swapping out the internals. How much more durable is the chrome barrel and phosphate internals? Keep in mind this is a firearm that I mean to take to hell and back with good results and I mean good results. I want something I can rely on when SHTF or for some reason zombies become a reality. I searched a lot of information about these three but never found straight forward response that would push me towards purchasing one over the other. I thank those who viewed this and responded in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Bw511
02-22-2012, 8:29 PM
Other than the phosphate internals, what do any of the extra features on these have to do with a SHTF scenario?

If that's your goal, then why not just buy a regular ol stock Sig (or glock etc.) and spend the extra $200-$600 on bug out gear? Hell you could buy a backup hi-point gun AND gear.

beatstanfurd
02-22-2012, 8:38 PM
Why is everything about SHTF? Did I miss the memo about end of days being almost here?

animossity
02-22-2012, 8:51 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/annimossity/Guns/381868_10150480131098459_701403458_8698937_1620540 06_n.jpg

/THREAD

HuangYiChao
02-22-2012, 9:04 PM
Other than the phosphate internals, what do any of the extra features on these have to do with a SHTF scenario?

If that's your goal, then why not just buy a regular ol stock Sig (or glock etc.) and spend the extra $200-$600 on bug out gear? Hell you could buy a backup hi-point gun AND gear.

Well keep in mind that this is what I will probably also shoot the crap out of. Not only will it be my to go gun but it will be something I shoot a lot and for something I shoot a lot I want something that looks and feels nice in my hands.

Why is everything about SHTF? Did I miss the memo about end of days being almost here?

Just a reference to durability. More of an exaggeration.

Bw511
02-22-2012, 9:16 PM
Currently shooting the crap out of my "vanilla" 2011 German 226 :) What I really want now is a "beater" 226 that I won't feel bad about holstering and taking combat-oriented classes with. Any of those three would be a "safe queen" in my arsenal. Then again, you might just have a lot more cash to blow than I do.

jeffrice6
02-22-2012, 9:24 PM
Stainless Elite!

HuangYiChao
02-22-2012, 9:50 PM
Currently shooting the crap out of my "vanilla" 2011 German 226 :) What I really want now is a "beater" 226 that I won't feel bad about holstering and taking combat-oriented classes with. Any of those three would be a "safe queen" in my arsenal. Then again, you might just have a lot more cash to blow than I do.

I know how you feel I was the same way, I wanted to buy two of everything but now imo I buy something to enjoy. I am sure it will be around long after I am gone.

barca101
02-23-2012, 4:40 AM
I have a 2011 Elite Dark, NH, USA made in Nov 29,11. It's been flawless and malfunction free. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you want steel, get the P220 ST. The only con I see thats it's really heavy.

greybeard
02-23-2012, 5:25 AM
I If you want steel, get the P220 ST. The only con I see thats it's really heavy.
But it shoots really, really well.

Moto4Fun
02-23-2012, 5:40 AM
Put together a list of your wants and must haves. Personally, I would get a dark elite and that would be the end of it. It's not like you are talking about a polymer, how much heavier do you really want it? All would do well in SHTF or he'll and back scenarios. You need to figure out what it is you want for your reality based shooting scenarios. If you black is more important than weight, get the standard or dark elite. I had the combat, and loved it. I didn't have any need for the phosphates internals, and I think that finish wears off of all the contact points anyway, so I think it isn't all that great of a feature. It's all a matter of preference at this point.

beatstanfurd
02-23-2012, 6:41 AM
P220 Stainless Nitron (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-stainless-nitron.aspx)

All stainless and black but requires SSE.

Personally, I'd like to get the P220 stainless to match my P226 stainless. Never tried one of Sigs elites, so not sure what you're getting for the extra cost.

beatstanfurd
02-23-2012, 6:48 AM
The only con I see thats it's really heavy.

The stainless is ~ half a pound heavier than a stock P220.

WolfSamurai
02-23-2012, 6:50 AM
Get the Dark Elite.

Moto4Fun
02-23-2012, 6:51 AM
A beavertail, front cocking serrations on the slide, and short reset trigger

barca101
02-23-2012, 7:03 AM
Don't forget, the ED has checkering on the front strap and front trigger guard. If you want a full beavertail look into earlier ED's.