PDA

View Full Version : Bullet ear plugs

1Luv4SF
02-22-2012, 9:04 PM
Does anyone remember those ear plugs that "Gunny" would wear on his show "Lock N' Load"? It looked like he stuck bullets in his ears for hearing protection lol. Where can I find some??

SanPedroShooter
02-22-2012, 9:32 PM
I've seen a few old timers use a spent case as ear protection. My wife will use 9mm cases if she's not shooting and away from the line.

Its probably not very good decibel reduction, but seeing her walk around with a spent cases in her ear is just to cute.

There is a great picture of Gen. Curtis Lemay shooting an early AR15 prototype with a spent case stuck in his ear.

Rebellious
02-23-2012, 2:51 AM
...Where can I find some??

Go to local range, shoot off two rounds and pick up the spent casings.

Army
02-23-2012, 7:53 AM
Gunny did not always give good advice or information on the show...in fact, he sucked on nearly every episode :)

The empty cases in the ears is a prime example when, I garonteeee, everyone else on the crew had real hearing protection on or stuffed in.

Luv the Gunny, but he is no weapons expert.

voiceofreason
02-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Don't mess with your hearing.

Any loss or damage is PERMANENT.

keenkeen
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Does anyone remember those ear plugs that "Gunny" would wear on his show "Lock N' Load"? It looked like he stuck bullets in his ears for hearing protection lol. Where can I find some??

Here you go, best of both worlds...

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/11/07/using-modified-spent-casings-as-hearing-protection/

boamedt
02-23-2012, 2:02 PM
notice in those pics above the "casings" are not spent...he just shoves 9mm ammo in his ears

RuggedJay
02-23-2012, 2:30 PM
rolled up TP works better for noise reduction.

SanPedroShooter
02-23-2012, 4:26 PM
notice in those pics above the "casings" are not spent...he just shoves 9mm ammo in his ears

Ha ha, that makes me laugh for some reason....

Are we speaking technically, cause a 'bullet' is not a 'case'... I am not sure which one we are talking about. I assumed when the OP said 'bullet' he meant the entire cartridge. Or maybe he thought it was the entire cartridge, but its really just the case... Or I guess in R Lee Ermys 'case' its the enitre thing....

MyNamesMeToo
02-23-2012, 4:42 PM
found these if you want something like Gunny
http://www.justplugs.com/centerfire.html

TMC
02-23-2012, 4:52 PM
Luv the Gunny, but he is no weapons expert.

So true. So many TV "weapons experts" look as if they are picking up the gun for the first time. One of these "experts" was touted as an expert with the 1911 but he was holding the gun with his support hand thumb over his strong hand thumb and he would re-adjusted his grip after every shot.

There are so many people out there who really know what they are taking about, why do they use these people?

TV gun shows are painful to watch

saki302
02-23-2012, 4:59 PM
rolled up TP is one of the reasons both my uncles have permanent hearing loss.

It would work a bit better if you wet it, but still not good.

-Dave

Turbinator
02-23-2012, 5:16 PM
Don't mess with your hearing.

Any loss or damage is PERMANENT.

Yup.. totally agree here.

Turby

1Luv4SF
02-23-2012, 8:17 PM
I wouldnt tempt fate in terms of my hearing protection. I just for some reason assumed he was using some modified cases and ear buds lol. Don't hate on Gunny. I love that guy. Wish he was my grandpa haha.

CC Gunsmithing
02-23-2012, 8:22 PM
Ears and eyes, you only get one set, why risk losing them in any way?

1Luv4SF
02-23-2012, 9:34 PM
Btw, I read in a Q&A in Tactical Weapons mag that he hates AR15s! Sup with that.

OLDLEORET
02-24-2012, 4:12 PM
I guess most of you current posters are young. Those of us over about 60 all say huh a lot because bullets or tp were the only "hearing protection" any one used "back in the day." Old cops use to file for their "huh money" work comp disability claims on a regular basis.

smle-man
02-24-2012, 7:18 PM
The filter end from cigarettes were field expedient ear plugs when I joined the Army. Another contributing factor to my hearing loss today.

VictorFranko
02-24-2012, 7:24 PM
I've seen a few old timers use a spent case as ear protection. My wife will use 9mm cases if she's not shooting and away from the line.

Two weeks ago, I shot Piru Action Pistol with a young guy that used 9mm casings as ear plugs. I thought he had yellow "EARS" in them, but no, just 9mm spent casings.
He is really good with a handgun, but I wouldn't bet on his hearing by the time he hits 50.........

SanPedroShooter
02-25-2012, 6:57 AM
I would not recommend them... Especially for someone that shoots all the time, Jesus...

My wife is more my fault, shes not really shooting much and behind me, so I just ignore her, (suprise, suprise). I need to get her her own muffs. I got some real nice Peltor's, its easier to stay protected if its easy...

tehbigjoe
02-26-2012, 1:31 AM
when im out shooting and happen to forget some earplugs, its the way to go, better to put a bullet shell in ur ear and drop some of the noise rather then none at all, better then being def

Its not safe to do but worth the risk considering your hearing is at the risk, worse case scenaria mgiht get a small ear infection but nothing serious

BANG BANG
02-26-2012, 6:38 PM
I've never ever seen anyone with spent casings or live ammo in their ear for hearing protection. I always have a crap load of spare foam plugs
Mainly if someone brings a new shooter along and they don't have any

I can't imagine any firearm owner not remembering to have ear protection with them !!

SocomM4
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Gunny uses live .45 acp as ear plugs.