PDA

View Full Version : help choosing a "cowboy" single action....

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 7:11 PM
so I've narrowed my choices down to the Uberti Cattleman, Cimarron Model P or the Ruger Vaquero. I like the more authentic look (IMO) of both the Uberti and Cimarron, but I was told by a couple people that most of the Cowboy action shooters use the Vaqueros due to their greater dependability. I would like to check out some of the cowboy action shooting events and possibly get involved, so I want something that's going to function well and be reliable. I don't know a lot about these pistols, so any advise would be much appreciated.

valkylrie
02-22-2012, 7:16 PM
I own a Vaquero in .44 Mag, for what it's worth. I enjoy it. I think Cowboy action is mostly with .45, but I have been wrong before.

thenodnarb
02-22-2012, 7:24 PM
.44 mag wasn't developed until 1955 so its not a "cowboy" chamber. A .45LC is the way to go.

Get the Vaquero until you can one day find/afford an old Colt SAA.

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 7:26 PM
.44 mag wasn't developed until 1955 so its not a "cowboy" chamber. A .45LC is the way to go.

Get the Vaquero until you can one day find/afford an old Colt SAA.

yes, I'm already set on the .45 LC. now it's just a matter of what pistol....

rp55
02-22-2012, 7:26 PM
I cannot speak to the Cimarron but I have 2 Uberti's, a Vaquero and a Blackhawk. They are all fine guns. They are all well made and function well. I think they are all equally reliable. You go in and look at them and handle them. I was doing that and saw a beautiful gun that I had to pick up, it was the Uberti in what they call the "Old West Finish." Sort of like a sandblasted matte stainless. It's on my list now. If pressed I would say that the Vaquero has a feel of being a more modern weapon, that may be the wrong word, maybe I mean substance but it may be a perception. If I was buying one I would buy on price. One of the reasons I bought the Vaquero is that it has a interchangeable cylinder that shoot 45 ACP as well, a lot cheaper and more choices of ammo than 45 LC. I have been completely satisfied with the Ruger's and the Uberti and you can't go wrong with either one.

Here's my Vaquero.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/nv-03.jpg

Andy Taylor
02-22-2012, 7:32 PM
The OP didn't inquire about caliber.
CAS shooters mostly shoot either .38 Special for low recoil and low cost or .45 Colt for authenticity.
As to the question, any of the Italian Colt copies are closer to a real Colt than the Ruger.
Yes the Ruger is stronger and has the added safety.
I think the Italian guns do just fine, and I prefer the authenticity over the durablity and safety of the Ruger. Of course, I do not compete, so keep that in mind.

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 7:44 PM
I cannot speak to the Cimarron but I have 2 Uberti's, a Vaquero and a Blackhawk. They are all fine guns. They are all well made and function well. I think they are all equally reliable. You go in and look at them and handle them. I was doing that and saw a beautiful gun that I had to pick up, it was the Uberti in what they call the "Old West Finish." Sort of like a sandblasted matte stainless. It's on my list now. If pressed I would say that the Vaquero has a feel of being a more modern weapon, that may be the wrong word, maybe I mean substance but it may be a perception. If I was buying one I would buy on price. One of the reasons I bought the Vaquero is that it has a interchangeable cylinder that shoot 45 ACP as well, a lot cheaper and more choices of ammo than 45 LC. I have been completely satisfied with the Ruger's and the Uberti and you can't go wrong with either one.

I was at The Shootist in Murrieta the other day getting some .32 Winchester Special rounds for my Winchester Model 94, and had a chance to handle the Uberti, Cimarron and Vaquero.... your comment about the Ruger feeling more "Modern" hits the nail right on the head for me! pretty much just what I was thinking. as for the "old west finish" I saw those on the Uberti website, and would love to get a look at one in person.

dfletcher
02-22-2012, 8:18 PM
so I've narrowed my choices down to the Uberti Cattleman, Cimarron Model P or the Ruger Vaquero. I like the more authentic look (IMO) of both the Uberti and Cimarron, but I was told by a couple people that most of the Cowboy action shooters use the Vaqueros due to their greater dependability. I would like to check out some of the cowboy action shooting events and possibly get involved, so I want something that's going to function well and be reliable. I don't know a lot about these pistols, so any advise would be much appreciated.

Do you know if you want the traditional "4 clicks" action of the newer transfer bar type?

den888
02-22-2012, 8:32 PM
I'd go with the Ruger.

ojisan
02-22-2012, 8:40 PM
I always disliked that old six-shooters could only be safely loaded and carried with five, 'cause then they are really five shooters.
I know it is not as authentic, but the Rugers shoot six safely.
I don't know about all the others, some are safe for six and some are not depending on model.
I went with Ruger myself.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/scottwerx/P2090070-1.jpg

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 8:44 PM
Do you know if you want the traditional "4 clicks" action of the newer transfer bar type?

I think the Uberti, Cimarron and for sure the ruger, all have the transfer bar style ignition, and three clicks. one less click that allows you to safely carry the pistol with all 6 rounds in the cylinder seems like a good trade off. as I said, my knowledge is limited about these pistols, so maybe there is some benefit to the old style "4 click" system I'm missing?

rtk
02-22-2012, 8:49 PM
+1 on the Ruger. I have the Vaquero in .44 Magnum and it has always performed flawlessly. I consider mine "a keeper."

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 8:51 PM
I always disliked that old six-shooters could only be safely loaded and carried with five, 'cause then they are really five shooters.
I don't know about all the others, some are safe for six and some are not depending on model.

WOW! looks REALLY nice with the pearl grips! that's a beautiful pistol!

tankerman
02-22-2012, 8:52 PM
I own this gun, it's been flawless and very accurate.
Price is excellent and it's SoCal shop.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Californian-Deluxe-Models-c68.htm

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/catalog/HF45CHS434NMUI_large.jpg

gatesbox
02-22-2012, 8:54 PM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/scottwerx/P2090070-1.jpg

Either way SASS shooters only load five for safety. I have Vaqueros, they work flawlessly every time. But all criticism is accurate. Contact a local club and ask if they can set you up for a first shoot before you buy. My club like any good pusher offers the first shoot free for new folks. It's in the budget, so don't be shy... Go to a shoot and tAlk to folks about their kit... There are many choices to be made to fit into the category you are interested in...

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 9:05 PM
I own this gun, it's been flawless and very accurate.
Price is excellent and it's SoCal shop.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Californian-Deluxe-Models-c68.htm

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/catalog/HF45CHS434NMUI_large.jpg

just checked out their sight! looks like those are pretty popular with the SASS guys.... might be worth a drive to Santa Ana!

sephy
02-22-2012, 9:44 PM
I have a Taylor's and Co. Deluxe Smoke Wagon in 357. It is Pretty much a modified Uberti. I have put several hundred 38 and 357 through it and it shoots great. I would add it to your list of possibilities.

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 9:57 PM
I have a Taylor's and Co. Deluxe Smoke Wagon in 357. It is Pretty much a modified Uberti. I have put several hundred 38 and 357 through it and it shoots great. I would add it to your list of possibilities.

I checked them out... I really dig this!!!!

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/product160.html

I love the look of the open tops, but I have heard they don't hold up..... anyone know if this is true?

Javi
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I checked them out... I really dig this!!!!

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/product160.html

I love the look of the open tops, but I have heard they don't hold up..... anyone know if this is true?

I'll let you know in a month haha. I have a Cimmaron 1872 Open Top on special order(5 1/2" barrel, .38 special because I don't reload and a standard bluing). Hopefully going to shoot the **** out of it! :) I'm expecting good things.

ThE_LoNgShOt
02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll let you know in a month haha. I have a Cimmaron 1872 Open Top on special order(5 1/2" barrel, .38 special because I don't reload and a standard bluing). Hopefully going to shoot the **** out of it! :) I'm expecting good things.

I'd love to hear a report once you get some rounds through it!!!

Javi
02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd love to hear a report once you get some rounds through it!!!

And I look forward to doing that! Not sure how many rounds I'll run through it before writing something about it. Hopefully at least 500 but that depends on the deal I can get on .38spl

chuckdc
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I think the Uberti, Cimarron and for sure the ruger, all have the transfer bar style ignition, and three clicks. one less click that allows you to safely carry the pistol with all 6 rounds in the cylinder seems like a good trade off. as I said, my knowledge is limited about these pistols, so maybe there is some benefit to the old style "4 click" system I'm missing?

Cimarrons and Ubertis (Actually, they're both Ubertis, Cimarron just does the fitting/polishing/finishing of Uberti-made parts) DO NOT have transfer-bar safeties! They are NOT safe to carry with 6 rounds loaded. They do have the 4-click action. The Ruger has the transfer bar. I don't know if Ruger ever did a 4click action, though.

Javi
02-23-2012, 2:38 PM
I was reading the manual for the Cimmaron open top and I vaguely remember it mentioning some sort of safe position. The pictures in the PDF were still super blurry zoomed in unfortunately. Something like: cock the hammer all the way back, pull the trigger and hold it and slowly lower the hammer past where the first click is and let go of the trigger. The hammer goes into the safety thingy, I guess. I'm going to go read it again haha. I just remember them not mentioning at all the 'load 5' thing although I'm very okay with doing it.

scidx
02-23-2012, 3:34 PM
The hammer goes into the safety thingy,
That's called the safety notch to the military. Although the Army taught to ignore it, they still required it. The Beretta M9 has one. I can't think of how many lives have been spared due to the M9's safety notch....:rolleyes:

OP:

I've owned Uberti's, EMFs, and Vaqueros. If you can find one, check out a Remington 1875 clone. (If you can find one in good condition) They're more robust than an SAA clone. The trigger on a Remington is wide like that of a Ruger, which I like.

The Vaquero is a solid modern design. I will pick one up in .45 colt, one day. I've had them chambered in .357, and was bored with them. They shot well, and reliably, but I was into double actions at the time. The .45 colt New Vaquero in 4 5/8 SS would make a good woods gun for my tastes, wants, and needs.

The Uberti was a trouble child for me. I've owned two (not including the Uberti 1875 that I love). Both had loose firing pin problems, one couldn't hold on to a trigger spring, and one gave me a split ejector rod during firing. I'd only fired factory loads through them with maintenance on a regular basis. I fixed all the problems with ease, but once a gun fails on me, I don't have the same feelings for it. I know all machines fail, but I have to develop a respect for the gun before it quits on me. You Know?

Bukowski
02-23-2012, 4:37 PM
I have Vaqueros in both .45 and .38

I like the because:

1.) Stainless is easy to clean after shooting black powder (trust me you'll want to try it if you get into CAS)

2.) Rugers stand-up well to the 1000's of rounds you'll fire if you get into CAS

3.) I've never had to replace main springs on them even after years of shooting

4.) They are priced right

5.) They make great clubs if you run out of ammo :p

Unless you're a stickler for historical accuracy, you can't go wrong. I keep my case colored Colt clones for special occasions, the Rugers get far more "real" use.