PDA

View Full Version : 2/22/2013/4/5/etc. - NATIONAL CIVIL RIGHTS HOLIDAY!

oaklander
02-22-2012, 8:00 PM
All,

I propose that we start pushing for a GRASSROOTS national CIVIL RIGHTS holiday. It will happen on 2/22 of EVERY year - and the "2's" are to remind people about how the SECOND AMENDMENT protects ALL the other ones.

The right of defense is THE essential right that allows ALL the other rights to even EXIST. . .

On Valentine's Day, we now estimate that at least 300,000 law abiding gun owners showed their support for free enterprise and the 2A by visiting a Starbucks and buying stuff. . .

That was done with about ONLY 4 to 6 weeks planning, and I know some of the guys who did it. NOW - imagine what WE could do with an ENTIRE YEAR to plan!!!!!!!!

This was not my idea - it was someone else's - but I figured I would start it here. All that needs to happen now is that it happen. . .

What do you guys and gals think???

Does this contain WIN? If so - why and what?

Does this contain FAIL? if so - why?

753X0
02-22-2012, 8:17 PM
1/0!
PURE WIN!
This is a GREAT idea! If this could go viral, it could have the potential to raise awareness nationwide!

jwkincal
02-22-2012, 8:21 PM
While this sounds like another of Oak's "Pollyanna" moments, it may be an idea whose time has come. I say let's do it.

curtisfong
02-22-2012, 8:42 PM
I love this idea. It FORCES gun control advocates to argue that the 2A isn't about civil rights, or admit they don't support civil rights at all.

thenodnarb
02-22-2012, 8:44 PM
Why would we want a holiday from civil rights? The ones we have aren't being respected as it is??

j/k

DiscoBayJoe
02-22-2012, 8:55 PM
There are already too many BS holidays. People need to get off their lazy tails and work, not have more reasons to slack! Besides, I can celebrate my civil rights every day, why limit it to just one!

I open carry
02-22-2012, 9:04 PM
Joe, I think you just missed the point.

This is to celebrate our Civil Rights. We just had an awesomely supported 2A event on the 14th. where over 250K people came together and showed all of America what we could do when we try.
That event was planned and came together in under 3 weeks time.
The main stream media, for the most part, did not reply.
If we can plan an event for a year in advance, and get the main stream media writting about it, it would be epic win,
This has nothing to do with another day off work.

Shotgun Man
02-22-2012, 9:23 PM
I voted yes. If I get the day off of work, I'm all for it.

I also vote for Cesar Chavez holiday being uniformly celebrated. As it is, only state workers get it off. This creates conflicts where county and city workers are working whereas state workers are not. The result is a net loss in productivity that could be cured by giving the local public servants the day off as well.

oaklander
02-22-2012, 9:57 PM
While this sounds like another of Oak's "Pollyanna" moments, it may be an idea whose time has come. I say let's do it.

WIN!!!!

Yes - I do actually realize that I am usually OVER HAPPY about things - and sometimes, there's even a reason. I actually think this will go viral. . .

oaklander
02-22-2012, 9:59 PM
Joe, I think you just missed the point.

This is to celebrate our Civil Rights. We just had an awesomely supported 2A event on the 14th. where over 250K people came together and showed all of America what we could do when we try.
That event was planned and came together in under 3 weeks time.
The main stream media, for the most part, did not reply.
If we can plan an event for a year in advance, and get the main stream media writting about it, it would be epic win,
This has nothing to do with another day off work.

Correct! And this will be an informal Holiday - we are not going to ask congress to do anything, etc. .

WE do it!!!

SanPedroShooter
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Why the **** not? I'm on board.

oaklander
02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Why the **** not? I'm on board.

COOL! - and yes - just spread the word!!!

we can start planning cool things to do as the year goes on - nothing massive (mass gun protests get bad press). . .

Maybe just we all send $2 bills to certain people - and not the usual suspects!

One year - we could all send $2 to congress, etc. . . with a little note reminding them who the voters are, and things like that. There are A LOT of cool things that WE can do - now that we are all hooked up via blogs, forums, twitter, FB, etc. . .

In fact - the key is to learn from Occupy - and NOT do anything that involves large groups in "real space."

The Starbucks thing worked because it was thousands upon thousands of friendly gatherings, and NOT some big sit in or something. Less rats. Literally!!!!!

:)

putput
02-23-2012, 6:21 AM
Um, no. We already have a Civil Rights day on July 4th. That holiday could be expanded to 10 days, one for every Amendment in the Bill of Rights, and we could move voting to those days as well which would give everyone plenty of time to get to the polls. That’s one big celebration of rights and voting, with BBQ!

oaklander
02-23-2012, 8:18 PM
Um, no. We already have a Civil Rights day on July 4th. That holiday could be expanded to 10 days, one for every Amendment in the Bill of Rights, and we could move voting to those days as well which would give everyone plenty of time to get to the polls. Thatís one big celebration of rights and voting, with BBQ!

Funny you should say that - it's about 90 percent certain we will be doing a large BBQ in Oakland on or around July 4. . .

:)

In fact, 97 to 98 percent positive. I am working with the people who did our most recent Peace March, back in September. Which is kind of cool - since me and some Calgunners actually marched in that, and now - just a few months later, yours truly will be helping to plan the next one. . .

The 2/22 idea is more informal - people can plan events, or not - the idea is just to get people to STOP and remember that ALL RIGHTS depend on our right of self-defense. . .

radioman
02-23-2012, 9:48 PM
National Civil Rights day, I like it. but how do we get the Bill of Rights in there? There are still a lot of people that when you say civil rights, they think Dr. King. Not that that's a bad thing, the trick is to make everyone understand that the BoF is our civil right and that 2A is part of those rights.

It would be fun to see the look on the faces of the anti gun types. Wiky says the brady's have 28,000 members with an income of over 3 Million dollars. what would it cost them to try to stop this? And what fool in office would speak out against civil rights, none.

oaklander
02-26-2012, 1:32 AM
National Civil Rights day, I like it. but how do we get the Bill of Rights in there? There are still a lot of people that when you say civil rights, they think Dr. King. Not that that's a bad thing, the trick is to make everyone understand that the BoF is our civil right and that 2A is part of those rights.

It would be fun to see the look on the faces of the anti gun types. Wiky says the brady's have 28,000 members with an income of over 3 Million dollars. what would it cost them to try to stop this? And what fool in office would speak out against civil rights, none.

The 2/22 is the BOR part. The tagline would be "2/22, because the Second Right, is the First Right that Protects ALL RIGHTS."

:chris:

ETA: someone will likely start a FB event page soon - so any additional ideas are also good. I do like the BOR emphasis. . .

Don29palms
02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
It really is sad to see that so many people have the delusion that they have any civil rights at all. We only have privileges the government allows us to have. If we ever do get our rights back we don't need to celebrate them, we need to exercise them. This country hasn't been free for a long time and our government is taking away whatever percieved freedoms we have left.

P.S. No disrespect meant to Oaklander or anyone else for that matter.

oaklander
02-27-2012, 1:08 AM
It really is sad to see that so many people have the delusion that they have any civil rights at all. We only have privileges the government allows us to have. If we ever do get our rights back we don't need to celebrate them, we need to exercise them. This country hasn't been free for a long time and our government is taking away whatever percieved freedoms we have left.

No offense taken - and that is why we keep plugging away!!!

;-)

753X0
02-27-2012, 6:22 AM

I understand your position, and I don't wish to be bellicose or insulting.
BUT.
Your statement is in direct opposition to the philosophical stand that the founders took when framing the BoR.
They took the position that rights are inherent to the individual, not granted by the government. The government can *violate* our rights, but it can no more remove them than it can morph us into something non-human. We are what we are, not what they say we are, and we have the rights inherent to us, even if those rights are violated.
And if you think there's a distinction between celebration and exercise, you've never seen my son's mastador run....
;-)

SlobRay
02-27-2012, 8:44 AM
I like the symbolism of 2/22, but couldn't it get lost or even muddied up because of how close it is to Presidents' day?

Just a thought.

Ray

Hopalong
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Maybe, if the name was changed.

"Civil Rights" has taken on a de facto meaning of something else entirely.

How about "2A Day". That, I would vote for.

CBlacksheep
02-27-2012, 1:21 PM
Every range day, hunt, or camping trip I take is a 2A holiday for me. I don't require one day out of the year to remind me of my rights, nor should anyone else. Though California may be a battleground state for our second amendment liberties, we are still able to enjoy the three aforementioned sports with no hassle.

chiselchst
02-27-2012, 2:54 PM
ETA: I have concern it might be "politically risky" for the reasons I outlined below. But I am warmimg up to it, FWIW.

No, not this way.

I think we should support that, but let another group carry the ball, and we can jump on board with it.

I feel us initiating a "civil rights" holiday, on 2-22 could be viewed negatively by the majority of the demographic that we are trying to recruit...and it could possibly be interrupted (wrongly) as if we were *singular* in our passion.

ETA: This is based on working for an extremely large corporation for several decades, with an EXTREMELY diverse work force...many of which are very active in the civil rights movement. Most are very far left leaning.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

chiselchst
02-28-2012, 9:29 PM
Bumpidity Bump?

choprzrul
02-29-2012, 7:17 AM
Count me in Oak. Put up the FB page and another page like your GRACR page. Maybe even use your ying/yang & tweak it a bit: Gun Rights PROTECT Civil Rights.

Send me a 3x sample & I will make another USPSA video wearing it for promo!

curtisfong
02-29-2012, 9:21 AM
Maybe, if the name was changed.

"Civil Rights" has taken on a de facto meaning of something else entirely.

How about "2A Day". That, I would vote for.

The whole point of doing both is to put traditionally anti-gun civil rights supporters in a bind. If they are truly pro-civil rights, they must also support the 2A.

Making it "2A Day" is pointless. You'll still be a member of a marginalized, "extremist" group that pro-civil rights people feel they can ignore. If you want to get more populist traction, you're going to have to get people involved that normally would never acknowledge your existence.

curtisfong
02-29-2012, 9:24 AM
Gun Rights PROTECT Civil Rights

I don't want to speak for Oaklander, but I think his original wording is deliberate and has a meaning with a specific purpose in mind.

chiselchst
02-29-2012, 1:42 PM
Just playing the devil's advocate here...

What happens if the extreme left, already deeply engaged in the civil rights movement, see this as gunnies (or right wing groups?) trying "steal" the civil rights movement? Could this occur? A potential backfire?