PDA

View Full Version : Gun safety program taught to elementary school students

HowardW56
02-22-2012, 5:41 PM
Gun safety program taught to elementary school students

Gun safety program taught to elementary school students. Dave Delozier reports. 9NEWS at 4 p.m. 02/21/12

LINK (http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1465075467001&odyssey=mod|tvideo|article)

mud99
02-22-2012, 6:17 PM

HowardW56
02-22-2012, 6:28 PM
When I was in school, we had a few programs very similar to this, except they definitely sent us the message that guns are bad, and they were definitely not impartial.

While the news report portrays this in a good light, a program like this in California would invariably lead to more miseducation of youth and more apprehension towards the presence of firearms. The person teaching is not an impartial person, it is a LEO.

IMO, if we want to get guns into curriculum, we should try and get marksmanship added to the class list at all the local community colleges. Then we can tap that to make inroads to shooting sports for kids of younger ages.

Did you watch the clip? Are you familiar with Eddie Eagle, an NRA curriculum/program? It is tailored towards safety...

wjc
02-22-2012, 6:41 PM
We didn't have it in school in my day. I don't think the nuns would have liked it. :D

We did have it via Boy Scouts which is another outlet. I've seen many groups of Scouts at my range lately getting their Rifle and Shotgun merit badge requirements fulfilled.

Good stuff!

HowardW56
02-22-2012, 6:48 PM
We didn't have it in school in my day. I don't think the nuns would have liked it. :D

We did have it via Boy Scouts which is another outlet. I've seen many groups of Scouts at my range lately getting their Rifle and Shotgun merit badge requirements fulfilled.

Good stuff!

Scouts & other youth groups, it is becoming more acceptable again.

BucDan
02-22-2012, 6:52 PM
I'm glad safety and firearms is being normalized in society again.

mud99
02-22-2012, 6:52 PM
I missed the last part of the clip which mentions that this is an NRA program :)

Luckily, I was able to edit my previous post so that my foolishness is not documented!

Oh wait, it's quoted in your post. DOH!

furyous68
02-22-2012, 6:57 PM
I guess those handful of parents who kept their kids from participating are the "head-in-the-sand" types. Hopefully, their kids never have to learn the hard way.

HowardW56
02-22-2012, 6:58 PM
I guess those handful of parents who kept their kids from participating are the "head-in-the-sand" types. Hopefully, their kids never have to learn the hard way.

Agreed, if they ignore firearms they will go away. They may not have understood what it was about..

furyous68
02-22-2012, 7:16 PM
Hopefully that's what it was. Though I suspect the school would have been very clear in describing what was going on, so I tend to doubt it.

dave_cg
02-22-2012, 7:20 PM

Exactly. I can't understand that. Even if you don't have guns at home, your kids are going to visit other kids and there might be guns around in those areas.