PDA

View Full Version : Strike Industries 1911 grip review

1911whore
02-22-2012, 5:30 PM
Here is the review on the 1911 pistol grips I received from Strike Industries.

I contacted Bryan with Strike industries in their search for someone to test and review their products based on an inquiry on Calguns.net. Being a long time member of Calguns and having a bit of experience in the field of weapons and equipment Bryan decided to sent two sets of 1911 Grips to me (probably because my screen name is 1911whore). About 4 Business days later I went to my mailbox and there they were in a padded envelope and professional packaging with the companies logo and information on it. The two sets of 1911 grips I received were the Golf Ball Dimple PX-09 Injection Molded pair and the CNC Sunrise pattern PX-0.295, both were packaged professionally as one would expect. Both Sets were flat bottomed for use with a magwell (or not) and both were machined with an ambidextrous safety relief

First I will review the Golf Ball Dimple Molded grips.
Upon initial inspection they appeared to be of good quality and similar in appearance to the G-10 golf ball style gunner grips that have recently become very popular. I installed them on My Kimber Gold Combat and also on my friends Kimber Custom 2 for a range day and the grips looked clean and for the MSRP appear to be a great value for someone looking to enhance the look and feel of their weapon, if comparing them to the G10 gunner grips the purchase they provide is not quite as positive but if we then compare the price of $15.95 vs. the $60 for the gunner grips these become a wonderful value and provide very similar aesthetic appeal. With wet hands they became a bit slick because of the material being injection molded Polymer as opposed to a more gritty material with absorption properties like G10 Micarta, these work wonderfully for range work and target practice just fine, I would venture a guess that if gloves are worn then this no longer is an issue at all because the gloves would get a solid purchase on the contour of the grips without issue. All in all I like these grips and a friend bought a pair for his Kimber after testing with me because he wanted something better than factory grips, with a nicer look but he did not want to spend a lot of money and I think that is the market that these grips are intended for.

Rating 4.5 of 5 stars for the market it is intended

Next up are the ...
Sunrise Pattern PX-0.295 CNC 1911 grips
Upon initial inspection of these grips I noticed they are very solid feeling and the machining was done nicely, the grips had a very grey color as opposed to black. They feel just like G10 micarta grips and I compared them side by side with the G10's on my Kimber Gold Combat, there was no noticable difference in feel or ability to provide a nice clean hand hold on the weapon. I did notice that as soon as I gripped the weapon a few times with the CNC Sunrise Pattern grips that just the oil from my hands was making the tips or the raised portions black, these grips have a nice absorption property to them that mirrors that of G10, where they do not get very slick even when your hands are wet. I took out some gun oil and lightly oiled the grips, within seconds the grips were BLACK and the oil was absorbed and the grips were not slick at all from the oil. This is a very useful property when looking for grips for a tactical or defense weapon for obvious reasons. I compared how these grips handled and compared that directly against the G10 grips that were stock on my Kimber and there was no difference in the way the weapon reacted, I did not have to shift my grip to accomodate for slippage, nothing. These grips do the same job, the same way, with the same feel as G10. Period.

I then installed them on a 9mm Kimber 1911 and took the weapon to a class I was teaching. I shot the 9mm 1911 witht eh Sunrise Pattern grips installed and I really enjoyed the way they felt particularly on this platform, the gun never shifted in my grip, follow up shots came off super fast and I was able to empty a 9rd magazine into the 9 ring of a B27 target at 7yds in under 1 second, the fastest Ive ever run any pistol and guess what....the gun never moved from my grip. At an MSRP of $29.95 vs. the $60-65 of G10 I would NEVER spend the money on G10 when these grips are on the market. I would like to note that some of my students tried the 9mm Kimber with the CNC grips installed and they loved them, they kept commenting on how controllable the weapon was and they noticed how it stayed put in their hands. Great Product and well worth the money. In my opinion these style(cnc grips) are the best value in handgun grips on the market today.

4 out of 5 stars

My only complaint about these grips and the reason they get 4 of 5 stars is that numerous people stated that they would like to see less busy design, So keep the designs simple, like gunner grips or golfball, or linear or vertical striations and the base of customers will increase, there is one style like gunner grips in the CNC line but add to t hat and possibly add colors like Dark Earth, etc to gain interest from the guys and gals that want something other than black. Also I would put a thin coat of oil on at the shop prior to shipping so they arrive to the consumer nice and black.

tm_jones123
02-22-2012, 5:52 PM
Great review!
I've been looking for new grips & now i'm sold on the golf ball.

Squirrel15
02-22-2012, 6:12 PM
Wish they had grips that fit my Colt New Agent, those flag grips look awesome

jeffrice6
02-22-2012, 7:25 PM
Good lookin Kimber!!

LovingTheYear1911
02-22-2012, 7:34 PM
Nice grips. I love the Custom II. The other day, I hit 7 out of 7 spent shotgun shells from 30 feet away. Its awesome how accurate it is, which is unbeatable for the price.

Go Kimber!

hkfooey
02-22-2012, 8:15 PM
Thanks for sharing! :)

DaveFJ80
02-22-2012, 8:41 PM
I'll add this.

I had a set of Strike Industries 'glossy black' grips, and they looked and felt good on my Springfield 1911 9mm. However, they were thick compared to the Larry Davidson and VZ grips. Thick as in they stuck out wider than the MSH on the frame, while the LD and VZ grips were flush with the MSH.

Not the best picture, but the only side by side one I took awhile back. You can see the Strike Industries grips are much wider and stick out past the MSH.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Springfield/MSH/MSH_2.jpg

tankerman
02-22-2012, 8:49 PM
Can you post a bigger picture of the Sunrise stocks?

c-wick
02-22-2012, 8:58 PM
sold me. just pre-ordered some! thanks for the good review!

Fishslayer
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Stand by for the dimple wars!

Golfers will understand. ;)

SgtJT27
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a set of the golf ball grips. I like it, but as mentioned above, they're a little thicker than I wanted. The solution, I put it in the belt sander and made them thinner; I figured if I messed it up, it only cost me $10. Now it works and looks great.

bigcalidave
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I have a set as well, they are the best feeling grips I've used. I recommend them to anyone!

therza2071
02-23-2012, 1:27 AM
My Rock has been wearing a pair of these for quite a while now. I really like them.

vinny_land
02-23-2012, 9:31 PM
Love them on my GSG 1911
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/kouki_master/DSCN0456.jpg

c-wick
02-25-2012, 3:43 PM
just got them and put them on. They do feel a bit thicker but they feel and look great. unfortunately they are cut for the little pin thingy so it gets covered up, but who cares:)

morrcarr67
02-25-2012, 4:20 PM
Very interesting. Thank you Sir.

Thecrazyone1
03-13-2014, 9:48 PM
I bought a set of these grips, I don't like them that much. They mailed them in a cardboard envelope and I received them cosmetically damaged. They are sending me a new set free but I tried the damaged ones on. The grip screw holes (not damaged) are too wide .322" vs .28" on my factory grips, there's a gap a little over 1mm all the way around the screws and if the screws are at all loose the grips will move around. I think they made them wide for their slim line screws that are a little wider than the standard screws but the holes are still even wider than their slim line screws specs (.266"). The holes are so wide that when the standard screws are completely centered the screw heads only have slightly less than a mm actually touching the grip around the circumference of the screw head as indicated by markings left after tightening the screws and taking them off and looking at the markings left on the grips. I also think the grips are a little too thick / wide. I don't like how they cover the hole for the mainspring housing pin, but I wouldn't mind the hole being covered if I had a mag well (but I don't)... I like the material they are made of and the golf ball dimple pattern. My main problems are the screw hole wideness / gap and the grip thickness. I like their price. I only bought them to replace the cheaper grips on my Rock Island. I'll probably try the magpul 1911 grips though. If they fix the screw hole issues I'd buy another set of these for a 1911 with a mag well...
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/Thecrazyone1/20140313_2326491_zps0672ba30.jpg

JTROKS
03-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Got the thin ones in my SA Loaded Target 9mm
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/A6EF0115-2825-4E6A-B96E-00D6E2092DD0-12093-000008D90838D845_zps9d41789c.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/joshuatroy/media/A6EF0115-2825-4E6A-B96E-00D6E2092DD0-12093-000008D90838D845_zps9d41789c.jpg.html)