View Full Version : pre-ban standard cap magazines used in new gun?

02-22-2012, 3:55 PM
First off: I've always played on the side of caution regarding gun laws.

Looking for advice:

I have 20rd magazines for a FN 5-7 that were given to me in 1998 (these were part of a larger bag of supplies I inherited)
I have no receipt or any proof of the exact date acquired
I didn't purchase my own 5-7 until years after the mag ban
The 5-7 came with three 10 round magazines
I currently use the 20 round magazines at the range, and keep them in the gun at home

Now, my current state of mind, is that I would explain this to any LEO if he was questioning the legality of the 20 rounders.

However, I am asking this forum, if that is enough to not end up in cuffs, and needing a lawyer? In the overall scheme of things, the 10 rounders do the job. I just like having the opportunity, especially at home, to load the high cap.

I'm sorry this is the thousandth thread about high-cap/standard mags... I just don't like being unsure of law. If there was anyway to have a paper trail back to the date of acquisition, I would feel better.

02-22-2012, 4:13 PM
I understand your question, and it is certainly reasonable to wonder what if anything a LE officer would do. The thing that I suspect many folks here may not be aware of or remember are the issues involved in the Clinton AW ban. Between 1994 and 2004 the only folks that could buy new full capacity magazines were LE and the Military. Those magazines were marked restricted LE/Military only or something very close. The reason I remember is that I was in the middle of my LE career at the time and purchased/used and was issued new full capacity magazines.

The reason I bring it up, is because while I could be mistaken, I do not believe that the FN 5.7 was available for sale in the US until after 1994. Now I most certainly could be mistaken as to when it was first available in the US, but if the magazines you have are marked LE/Military then it is no problem, the markings show the magazines were in the US sometime between 94 and 04, which certainly does means you could have owned them prior to 2000.

On the other hand if the magazines are not marked as LE restricted then it could trigger a question as to when and where you obtained them. So in essence, the question is not are they pre 2000, but pre 1994.

If the person who gave them to you got them prior to 1994, then of course he could have legally given them you to during the AW ban. Used magazines were legally bought, sold and traded all during that 10 year period. Having those magazines in your possession prior to 2000 then of course makes it legal for you to posses and use in any firearm not listed as an AW in California.

02-22-2012, 4:20 PM
The burden of proof is not on your shoulders (theoretically). If you legally own them, use them in any legally configured firearm that will accept them.

02-22-2012, 4:30 PM
Sounds like you are fine legally.

02-22-2012, 4:39 PM
See the Magazine Qs link in my .sig