PDA

View Full Version : Poll: SIG Sauer P226 or Smith & Wesson M&P as a "Nightstand" gun?

elberettas
02-22-2012, 4:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'd like to get some opinions on which of these pistols (In 9mm) you think is best as a "Nightstand" gun. I allready have a W. German SIG P226, but like the M&P because of the constant trigger pull and relatively low cost.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 4:11 PM
Sig.

That said w. German ones don't/didn't have rails. Every hd pistol should have that option, even if you hold the light.

dousan
02-22-2012, 4:13 PM
Whatever you shoot better
Or get m&p and practice it like the sig
I love both firearms
Can't go wrong either way, really

G60
02-22-2012, 4:14 PM
They're both fine. Stick with one platform though.

Lovin
02-22-2012, 4:14 PM
P226R.

It's a better everything gun than the M&P IMO.

mes227
02-22-2012, 4:26 PM
I bought the M&P because I wanted the rail (and it's a nice gun).

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 4:40 PM
They're both fine. Stick with one platform though.

Agreed, assuming he's shooting the SIG good, stick with it. A P226R fits the order.

Nothing wrong with the M&P, I just haven't had the need to recommend it yet, but lots of people are liking it.

AeroEngi
02-22-2012, 4:41 PM
Go with the P226R. You're already used to the trigger from owning a W. German model. You don't wanna have to learn a whole new trigger for a HD gun.

tbc
02-22-2012, 4:45 PM
^^^ I love the M&P but I would go with the Sig P226R, with rail, like others have mentioned.

What Just Happened?
02-22-2012, 4:51 PM
I'd go with whichever you feel more comfortable shooting and having loaded.

Do you have a weaponlight? Is is better on one platform than another?
Do you instinctively know how to manipulate the safeties on the Sig?
Are you better at managing the recoil on one platform than another for followup shots?

KeithG
02-22-2012, 4:57 PM
I like the idea that if a chambered round doesn't fire with the first trigger pull, a second pull without reracking is possible with my SIG.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

cfusionpm
02-22-2012, 5:00 PM
I would never have a striker fired gun as a "nightstand" gun. I use a Sig 2022 for that role because I want to make sure I have that long DA for the first pull to prevent a groggy, half-asleep ND from a light trigger. Granted the M&P has a manual safety to engage and my XDM doesnt... I still would prefer DA/SA, chambered, hammer down over flicking a safety off or no safety at all.

For you, a low cost alternative could be the SP2022. Will have all the same erganomics and controls as the 226, but in a lighter polymer frame. I used to own a P226R (which I traded for the XDM) and currently have a 2022 which I like a lot. It's something to look into.

BoJackUSMC
02-22-2012, 5:00 PM
Another both for Sig p226:D

gorenut
02-22-2012, 5:01 PM
I voted M&P simply to try to balance out the poll because honestly either one will work. Go with what you shoot better.

Freq18Hz
02-22-2012, 5:03 PM
Neither, buy a revolver.

-Freq

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 5:05 PM
both are great, if you don't have money, get the M&P, it will get the job done.

For me though, well, look at the avatar

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 5:06 PM
I would never have a striker fired gun as a "nightstand" gun. I use a Sig 2022 for that role because I want to make sure I have that long DA for the first pull to prevent a groggy, half-asleep ND from a light trigger. Granted the M&P has a manual safety to engage and my XDM doesnt... I still would prefer DA/SA, chambered, hammer down over flicking a safety off or no safety at all.

For you, a low cost alternative could be the SP2022. Will have all the same erganomics and controls as the 226, but in a lighter polymer frame. I used to own a P226R (which I traded for the XDM) and currently have a 2022 which I like a lot. It's something to look into.

huh?

cfusionpm
02-22-2012, 5:06 PM
Doesn't it? I'm not terribly familiar with it, but I remember seeing pictures of a frame-mounted safety. Never fired one myself.

What Just Happened?
02-22-2012, 5:11 PM
Some M&P's have an external safety lever, some don't.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 5:18 PM
Doesn't it? I'm not terribly familiar with it, but I remember seeing pictures of a frame-mounted safety. Never fired one myself.
the standard ones just have mag safety and that's about it.

I personally don't like the gun much, the trigger feels like a toy gun, with a gritty pull and the break is rather awful. I'd go with XD or Glock if I had to pick between striker fired guns.
Some M&P's have an external safety lever, some don't.

learn something new everyday

POLICESTATE
02-22-2012, 5:26 PM
I prefer hammer to striker guns, so I'd go with the Sig.

Also decocker lever on the Sig means you don't have to worry about fumbling with a safety (which may or may not be the case on an M&P).

Just point and squeeze.

BoJackUSMC
02-22-2012, 5:51 PM
Of course, you can always buy Sig 1911 and use it as nightstand gun:43:

MyGlock17
02-22-2012, 6:20 PM
Sig 226 hands down! Because it has a double action single action trigger...Also the Decocker will come in handy...M&P is nice also but remember if you have a round in the chamber with the M&P and if you accidently didn't put in the magazine all the way and if it falls out it won't fire unless you have the magazine in...

RedDawn
02-22-2012, 6:26 PM
I'd stick to a P226. I'm a big Sig fan so that obviously makes me bias.
I own Glocks, HK's, and an XD in 9mm but my go-to gun is still my Sig P226.

SFgiants105
02-22-2012, 6:30 PM
When I shot the sig, it felt more natural in terms of recoil, aiming, trigger pull, size, etc. and I pulled some damn good groups with it. That being said, that was just me, and it might be different for someone else; just justifying my vote.

bsg
02-22-2012, 8:32 PM
w german P226 gets my vote.

InGrAM
02-22-2012, 8:38 PM
That is a VERY hard decision. Damn, I say go for the M&P and use what you saved buying the M&P to buy ammo.

SacTown
02-22-2012, 8:41 PM
I voted P226 (i have one) because you already own one. Whatever you have most trigger time on is your best bet.

n.y.p.t
02-22-2012, 8:52 PM
M&P, because you don't have one. Excuse to get one.

ELIXIR
02-22-2012, 9:16 PM
Sig P226 all the way!! No need to doubt it! :)

inosaris
02-22-2012, 9:22 PM
Have both, love both. you already have a p226 so get yourself a m&p just because :)

brian5271
02-22-2012, 9:23 PM
I have a M&P in 45 cal and I love it. I have close to 8k rounds through it and have not had a single ftf/fte. That to me is pretty impressive.

Although Sig’s are great guns, I would not go with the Sig simply because I really do not like the DA\SA combo. Just my opinion.

Regarding the thumb safety, I believe the only CA approved M&P with a thumb safety is the 45, and it is an option for those.

Bw511
02-22-2012, 9:25 PM
I bought the railed Sig 226 after a lot of research on firing types (among other features). I really liked the fact that the only "safety" to worry about was the heavy DA pull. I've never shot or held the M&P (or much else for that matter), so it's not much of an "opinion". It's the one I chose though :)

den888
02-22-2012, 9:29 PM
P226

nrvnqsrxk
02-22-2012, 9:30 PM
Shouldn't your finger only be on the trigger after you decide whatever is in front of you is going down?

Since it's a nightstand gun, if you already own a SIG, might as well stick with it since you'll know how to use it half-asleep and in the dark.

nrvnqsrxk
02-22-2012, 9:30 PM
Shouldn't your finger only be on the trigger after you decide whatever is in front of you is going down?

Since it's a nightstand gun, if you already own a SIG, might as well stick with it since you'll know how to use it half-asleep and in the dark.

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2012, 9:36 PM
I don't own an M&P (yet), but if I did my personal defense around the homestead would still be what it is now..... Sig.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM

:facepalm:

there are exceptions, like when you interviewing someone

battleship
02-22-2012, 10:30 PM
No brainer, Sig P226, you don't want to be fumberling around in the dark and cutting your fingers on the slide serrations of an M&P now do ya.

AeroEngi
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
w german P226 gets my vote.

Or a current production P226R German?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RRichie09
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
M&P cause if you have to use the nightstand gun the police are mostly gonna take the gun.

nvision
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I have both.

hardware differences aside, I would add that some people tend to fumble heavier items [pistols] during time of stress. something to consider since their weight difference is quite noticeable.

gunafficionado
02-23-2012, 6:46 AM
P226....cost a lot of $$ but quality is worth it.

fullrearview
02-23-2012, 7:07 AM
I love both. Money not being a factor, go with the Sig.

Either way, train, train, train!!!!

I don't care if you have a hi point... If you can hit your target, your GTG!

Moto4Fun
02-23-2012, 8:06 AM
It really doesn't matter which one. Get training, or spend time practicing. Either gun will fit the bill. I am assuming you already have the 226 and are not considering buying another 226, but are considering an M&P for the different style trigger. If you practice enough, the DA/SA trigger will not be an issue. Some say it is harder to master, but training/practice eliminates that variable. If you don't have the time and money to dedicate to the cause, then I don't think either gun is the right one. I would look to a longer pull DAO or a revolver so that you have the security of a longer and heavier trigger pull and a consistent trigger pull. If you already have mags for the 226 from back in the day, that would be a good reason to stick with what you have.

I, personally, have always felt better about having a DA/SA trigger or SAO with manual safety as a night stand gun. If I ever go to the M&P (which is on my shortlist) I will likely get one with a thumb safety. When I get my next p220, it will likely be an SAO model. I have changed my thoughts (kinda came with the 1911) and would now prefer to flick off a safety than to deal with the DA trigger pull. If it comes down to pulling the trigger, I want the pull to be consistant and predictable. I haven't found the M&P trigger to offer that without modification, and some say that modifying a trigger on a defensive gun is less advisable than just getting good with a stock trigger.

I also like having hammers on my guns.

davbog44
02-23-2012, 8:23 AM
I would choose the P226, but I may be slightly (meaning totally and completely) biased because a P226 is my night stand pistol.

That said, either pistol is adequate where it counts; safety and reliability.

Moto
02-23-2012, 8:25 AM
M&P all the way!

Plus it's not overpriced

elberettas
02-23-2012, 8:47 AM
M&P cause if you have to use the nightstand gun the police are mostly gonna take the gun.

That is EXACTLY what got me into considering a less expensive pistol for H.D.

brian5271
02-23-2012, 9:08 AM
No brainer, Sig P226, you don't want to be fumberling around in the dark and cutting your fingers on the slide serrations of an M&P now do ya.

Fumbling around with what? Cutting your fingers on the slide serrations? Are you kidding me? You obviously have never handled an M&P.

Why do people feel the need to talk others into buying what they bought?

Whichever gun you decide on will serve you well. They are both great guns. Just go with the one you are more comfortable with.

em9sredbeam
02-23-2012, 9:11 AM
If you can't decide.... Dual wield....Who needs accuracy when you have 20 rounds instead of 10. Just kidding. You didn't mention which one you feel more comfortable with and shoot better with. That should be the deciding factor assuming they are both reliable and one is not a lemon that happens to jam all the time.

Moto4Fun
02-23-2012, 9:55 AM
It seems that some people are missing the fact that he already owns a p226.

My question for the OP is: are you considering adding to the collection or replacing?

Adding the M&P and using it as your nightstand gun is a fine option. Keeping the p226 as a collector and range gun would be cool. You wouldn't have to worry about the DA pull since you would only be shooting it for fun, and could purely enjoy the SA trigger.

If you are going to be replacing the p226 with the M&P, there are a lot more variables to consider. How often you shoot, what kind of practice you do, and what training you get will matter. If you ever plan to carry it (even around the house or somewhere where LTC isn't required) the weight of the pistol will be a factor. I think carrying a 226, while doable, is a bit more cumbersome than the M&P. IF LTC is in your future, both platforms have a more carry friendly variant that you could buy as a second gun.

RRichie09
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
It seems that some people are missing the fact that he already owns a p226.

My question for the OP is: are you considering adding to the collection or replacing?

Adding the M&P and using it as your nightstand gun is a fine option. Keeping the p226 as a collector and range gun would be cool. You wouldn't have to worry about the DA pull since you would only be shooting it for fun, and could purely enjoy the SA trigger.

If you are going to be replacing the p226 with the M&P, there are a lot more variables to consider. How often you shoot, what kind of practice you do, and what training you get will matter. If you ever plan to carry it (even around the house or somewhere where LTC isn't required) the weight of the pistol will be a factor. I think carrying a 226, while doable, is a bit more cumbersome than the M&P. IF LTC is in your future, both platforms have a more carry friendly variant that you could buy as a second gun.

You bring up a great point. I wouldn't replace the P226. In fact my P226 is the only pistol I have therefore it is my default nightstand gun. I would like to eventually like to get a polymer pistol, M&P or Glock to add to my pistol collection at which point the P226 will be relegated to range duty.

I really hope the OP is thinking of adding a M&P not replacing the P226. Everyone should have a P226, like everyone should have a 1911 IMO.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
You bring up a great point. I wouldn't replace the P226. In fact my P226 is the only pistol I have therefore it is my default nightstand gun. I would like to eventually like to get a polymer pistol, M&P or Glock to add to my pistol collection at which point the P226 will be relegated to range duty.

I really hope the OP is thinking of adding a M&P not replacing the P226. Everyone should have a P226, like everyone should have a 1911 IMO.

Amen. +1.

nyc71
02-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a 45c as a nightstand gun but I have FS 9mm fo IDPA. I have no experience with the Sig.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Below.Zero
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
http://amendment2guns.com/images/manufacturers/sig_sauer.jpg

elberettas
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I was thinking of adding the M&P. My P226 is NOT replacable! ;)

k1dude
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I have an M&P 45 and a Sig P228. My recommendations are:

Keep your P226.

Buy an M&P.

Use the M&P as your nightstand gun.

I absolutely love my P228 and it is probably my single favorite handgun. I also shoot it better than my M&P. But, in times of stress/crisis, I don't want a decocker (Sig) or manual safety (some M&P's) getting in the way. I want as simple a platform as possible. That means guns like Glocks and M&P's (the ones without a manual safety).

Sure, the DA first shot might be better if you're a police officer to prevent a high stress negligent discharge. But unless you're highly trained with that decocker, it can mess you up. Especially during a mag change with the slide release being behind the decocker. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone try to release the slide with the decocker. And these are people that know Sigs and should know better (me included). Sure you can train to ALWAYS slingshot, but some weapons recommend against using that technique (like Kahr).

So IMHO, the bottom line in times of stress/crisis is KISS (keep it simple stupid). And that means a Glock or M&P. That's why my primary concealed carry gun is a Kahr. No safeties, no decockers, no DA/SA. Just draw and pull the trigger. No thinking or fumbling. I figure my fine motor skills will already be bad enough in a situation like that. I don't need any additional manipulations to think about and deal with. But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

battleship
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Brian5271 lighten up would you, clearly I was having some fun with my comment I guess you took it to heart. Still go with the P226 unless your wearing gloves.

Lovin
02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
That is EXACTLY what got me into considering a less expensive pistol for H.D.

IMO, if you're involved in a H.D. situation where you have to use a firearm, confiscation of said firearm is the LEAST of your concerns.

doug-y-doug
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
IMO, if you're involved in a H.D. situation where you have to use a firearm, confiscation of said firearm is the LEAST of your concerns.

+100

Common sense. This should NOT be a primary factor in your decision.

fullrearview
02-23-2012, 1:00 PM
Sure, the DA first shot might be better if you're a police officer to prevent a high stress negligent discharge. But unless you're highly trained with that decocker, it can mess you up. Especially during a mag change with the slide release being behind the decocker. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone try to release the slide with the decocker. And these are people that know Sigs and should know better (me included). Sure you can train to ALWAYS slingshot, but some weapons recommend against using that technique (like Kahr).

I don't want a weapon that I can't "slingshot".

If a weapon can't handle a slingshot then how the hell is it going to stand up to real abuse from thousands of rounds cycling through it? Besides, the slingshot is a gross motor skill, which is why it is taught.

As for the decocker, the only time it's used is right before the gun goes into the holster. The gun is already out, so there is no rush to decock or get into the holster.

You can certainly keep things simple, but unless you practice often, the most simple things become near impossible.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 1:04 PM
Even though I'm a Sig guy, if you already have a P226, you dont HAVE to have another, but you should ;).

I see nothing wrong with the M&P if you really like it, and it already comes with a rail. Myself I lean Sig but a M&P is very affordable and you can get Night Sights, mags ammo and even some other goodies or APEX kit for the price of a stock SIG. That said Sig is to me, the cadillac of semi automatic pistols. Atleast in DA/SA form. Striker/constant trigger systems, thats a different story......

k1dude
02-23-2012, 1:12 PM
I don't want a weapon that I can't "slingshot".

If a weapon can't handle a slingshot then how the hell is it going to stand up to real abuse from thousands of rounds cycling through it? Besides, the slingshot is a gross motor skill, which is why it is taught.

As for the decocker, the only time it's used is right before the gun goes into the holster. The gun is already out, so there is no rush to decock or get into the holster.

You can certainly keep things simple, but unless you practice often, the most simple things become near impossible.

My Kahr works fine slingshotting. I think they just tell you that for break-in. And slingshotting is considered to be a fine motor skill. All gun manipulations are considered fine motor skills. So the fewer you use, the better.

You missed my point on the decocker. It becomes a problem when reloading, not holstering. You think you're releasing the slide to chamber a round, but instead you just flail away at the decocker and nothing happens. You waste a split second before you figure out your mistake. And if you've ever been in a firefight, reloading is when you are most vulnerable. You want your reloads to be fast and simple.

And regarding slingshotting vs the slide release, different manufacturers recommend different techniques. Some recommend manipulating the slide, some say use the slide release. So there is no single correct method. Use what works for you.

KeithG
02-23-2012, 1:12 PM
^^^ This

KeithG
02-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Even though I'm a Sig guy, if you already have a P226, you dont HAVE to have another, but you should ;).

I see nothing wrong with the M&P if you really like it, and it already comes with a rail. Myself I lean Sig but a M&P is very affordable and you can get Night Sights, mags ammo and even some other goodies or APEX kit for the price of a stock SIG. That said Sig is to me, the cadillac of semi automatic pistols. Atleast in DA/SA form. Striker/constant trigger systems, thats a different story......

I meant ^^^ This. Too slow on the draw I guess.

brian5271
02-23-2012, 1:17 PM
Brian5271 lighten up would you, clearly I was having some fun with my comment I guess you took it to heart. Still go with the P226 unless your wearing gloves.

LOL – You caught me before my morning coffee – guess I was a little irritated. All better now.

I guess it goes to show If you’re the bad guy, it does not matter if the good guy has a M&P or a Sig, just don’t screw with him before his morning cup of joe!

AeroEngi
02-23-2012, 1:18 PM
My Kahr works fine slingshotting. I think they just tell you that for break-in. And slingshotting is considered to be a fine motor skill. All gun manipulations are considered fine motor skills. So the fewer you use, the better.

You missed my point on the decocker. It becomes a problem when reloading, not holstering. You think you're releasing the slide to chamber a round, but instead you just flail away at the decocker and nothing happens. You waste a split second before you figure out your mistake. And if you've ever been in a firefight, reloading is when you are most vulnerable. You want your reloads to be fast and simple.

What's the point in confusing the slide stop for the decocker if you're using the sling-shot method? That becomes irrelevant.

therza2071
02-23-2012, 1:23 PM
M&P

Accessory rail and better capacity.

k1dude
02-23-2012, 1:26 PM
What's the point in confusing the slide stop for the decocker if you're using the sling-shot method? That becomes irrelevant.

Sorry, I was writing an addition to my post during your post. I was adding this last sentence:

And regarding slingshotting vs the slide release, different manufacturers recommend different techniques. Some recommend manipulating the slide, some say use the slide release. So there is no single correct method. Use what works for you.

AeroEngi
02-23-2012, 1:30 PM
Sorry, I was writing an addition to my post during your post. I was adding this last sentence:

Cool, got it. I'm not sure what method Sig recommends but I've been using the sling-shot method on my P220 for years. I can see how some people can confuse the slide stop with the decocker, especially in a high stress situation but I think using the sling shot method would take care of that.

Ventura_Yak'r
02-23-2012, 3:01 PM
Go with the P226R. You're already used to the trigger from owning a W. German model. You don't wanna have to learn a whole new trigger for a HD gun.

+1:iagree:

Gryff
02-23-2012, 4:17 PM
Either. Both have been proven by law enforcement agencies. Choose the one you shoot the best.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 4:22 PM
M&P

Accessory rail and better capacity.

Maybe in a free state, not here though. (relating to the capacity).

The rail is a good thing though, that said most people end up getting the P226R anyways which has one.

InGrAM
02-23-2012, 4:23 PM
Maybe in a free state, not here though. (relating to the capacity).

The rail is a good thing though, that said most people end up getting the P226R anyways which has one.

Or for LEO's :rolleyes:

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 4:24 PM
I meant ^^^ This. Too slow on the draw I guess.

Thanks. Yea I'm not trying to push him to anything he wouldn't want.

For the other members saying he's already used to DA/SA, they have a valid point. If its a P226R, same gun just a rail, and the SP2022 option is practically the same thing with a rail. M&P striker, rail and constant trigger. Depends what he's comfortable with.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 4:25 PM
Or for LEO's :rolleyes:

True......eh I love the LEO community but thats one thing I never got. I cant stand they can buy w/e mags they want.

InGrAM
02-23-2012, 4:36 PM
True......eh I love the LEO community but thats one thing I never got. I cant stand they can buy w/e mags they want.

I was just being an *** but I agree with you, it makes no sense but nothing in CA makes sense.

Bw511
02-23-2012, 5:25 PM
How could anyone who has trained with their weapon, whether recently or not, confuse the slide release for the de-cocker? Nevermind that slingshot/powerstroke seems almost universally recommended as the preferred memory to train, my humble opinion is that if the gun's features are not second nature, it doesn't belong on your nightstand.

Shouldn't your HD be your most familiar weapon?

fullrearview
02-23-2012, 5:49 PM
I can see how some people can confuse the slide stop with the decocker, especially in a high stress situation but I think using the sling shot method would take care of that.

And that was the point I was trying to make... I was taught that way for two reasons... Lefties can't manipulate the slide release with their left hand unless they have alien fingers. Lefties are forced to slingshot with a Sig and many other weapons.

The second: Not every gun has the same slide release, nor is it in the same place, which makes it a fine motor skill. Think about a lefty who has used the slide release his whole life on a M&P, then picks up a Sig... He will have issues until he retrains.

Using the slingshot is gross motor skill. If you grab and pull the slide just enough to chamber a round, or hard enough to rip the slide off, your going to get the same result.

fullrearview
02-23-2012, 5:51 PM
How could anyone who has trained with their weapon, whether recently or not, confuse the slide release for the de-cocker? Nevermind that slingshot/powerstroke seems almost universally recommended as the preferred memory to train, my humble opinion is that if the gun's features are not second nature, it doesn't belong on your nightstand.

Shouldn't your HD be your most familiar weapon?

Pretty much... Another reason, is it's used for loading, and malfunction clearing as well.

fullrearview
02-23-2012, 5:53 PM

We don't like it either. Does nothing but waste ink and pages in books.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 6:07 PM
We don't like it either. Does nothing but waste ink and pages in books.

Amen.

Sorry about it going off topic OP, what have you chosen?

al8550
02-23-2012, 6:12 PM
Get both you have two hands!!!
:gunsmilie:

RT13
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I own both a P226 9mm and P220 but my night stand gun is an MP45. The Sig is supposedly a better gun than the M&P, but the M&P to me is more of a no non sense reliable workhorse or daily driver like Glock while the Sigs are more refined or a weekend sports car.

PandaLuv
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I own both a P226 9mm and P220 but my night stand gun is an MP45. The Sig is supposedly a better gun than the M&P, but the M&P to me is more of a no non sense reliable workhorse or daily driver like Glock while the Sigs are more refined or a weekend sports car.

some use sports cars to go to work :cool2:

Gnome
02-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I think you're good with either one...

AWARCORP
02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
I sleep with a p226R to my right, a wife on the left :)

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 6:42 AM
Even for someone who uses and practices with a Sig on a regular basis, it wouldn't be that hard to confuse the decocker with the slide release, but I don't think that's a big deal. The only time I use it is to lock the slide back, not release it.

It is my understanding that some manufacturers recommend using the slide release rather than sling shot method not because of wear or damage to the gun, but because people inadvertently ride the slide causing FTRTB. Think about it. When you shoot the gun, there are much greater forces at work than when you rack the slide.

elberettas
02-24-2012, 8:38 AM
Amen.

Sorry about it going off topic OP, what have you chosen?

Well, Like I said in my initial post, I already have a P226 as my "Nightstand" gun. The M&P has just been growing on me more and more lately. I really like the way they feel in my hand, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I was thinking of picking one up as a kind of "Beater" pistol. I know that if I were to use my gun in a H.D. situation, it would be taken from me as evidence. The way I see it, in a real H.D. situation, you're not going to do a mag change or have to manipulate the slide. I keep a full magazine + 1 in the chamber. If 11 rounds of 147 Gr. Federal HST can't get the jobe done, then I've got bigger problems. Here's what I like about the M&P for this role vs my P226:

-M&P has the same trigger pull, each and every time.
-M&P can be easily replaced, meaning still in production (W. German P226's are getting harder and harder to find).
-M&P has a rail. My W. German P226 doesn't (I like it that way).
-M&P costs less

I guess I'm just looking for an "Excuse" to buy an M&P, but I'm going to hold off for now. Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 9:07 AM
All good reasons. Go buy it!

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 9:20 AM
Even for someone who uses and practices with a Sig on a regular basis, it wouldn't be that hard to confuse the decocker with the slide release, but I don't think that's a big deal. The only time I use it is to lock the slide back, not release it.

It is my understanding that some manufacturers recommend using the slide release rather than sling shot method not because of wear or damage to the gun, but because people inadvertently ride the slide causing FTRTB. Think about it. When you shoot the gun, there are much greater forces at work than when you rack the slide.

Even when I first started with them I never had that problem. Its in a whole different spot. If anything the Sig Pro could be argued to have more of an issue since the controls are slightly closer.

And if its a quality pistol slingshot method shouldn't harm your pistol at all. If it was constantly on a empty chamber, over and over again, that would be one thing. And it would be the opposite, the more you use the slide release by manual thumbing it down to go back into battery is more likely to wear out that piece.

Well, Like I said in my initial post, I already have a P226 as my "Nightstand" gun. The M&P has just been growing on me more and more lately. I really like the way they feel in my hand, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I was thinking of picking one up as a kind of "Beater" pistol. I know that if I were to use my gun in a H.D. situation, it would be taken from me as evidence. The way I see it, in a real H.D. situation, you're not going to do a mag change or have to manipulate the slide. I keep a full magazine + 1 in the chamber. If 11 rounds of 147 Gr. Federal HST can't get the jobe done, then I've got bigger problems. Here's what I like about the M&P for this role vs my P226:

-M&P has the same trigger pull, each and every time.
-M&P can be easily replaced, meaning still in production (W. German P226's are getting harder and harder to find).
-M&P has a rail. My W. German P226 doesn't (I like it that way).
-M&P costs less

I guess I'm just looking for an "Excuse" to buy an M&P, but I'm going to hold off for now. Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

I know, but you gave the P226R as an option and it was already established that the M&P is cheaper. And Keep in mind that trigger is horrid until you get apex or atleast put a few hundred rounds through it. Even then APEX is the only cure. Keep in mind we can only point out what we prefer and from what you want the pistol to have.

That said nothing wrong with a M&P, for me there still to new to consider and recommend to people, but if alot of departments have switched and been happy, smith may have found what people want.

That said good hunting.

BoJackUSMC
02-24-2012, 9:55 AM
How about Smith and Wesson 1911:43:

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
How about Smith and Wesson 1911:43:

They do make a pretty damn good 1911 from what I've read and seen up close. Never shot one though.

1911ShooterPhil
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Go with a SIG. You can safely have a loaded chamber with the handy, dandy SIG decocker. Of course, safety first...keep it in a biometric gun box or something which is both secure and quick to access, just in case. And, obviously, if it's a nightstand gun, keep a flashlight handy too (Surefire to the resue). Plus, you got to practice with whichever piece you get...but you already know that.

The S&W M&P is a good gun all the same, but I'm partial to SIG since I own and professionally carry 2 different SIG pistols (P220, P225). Either the SIG or S&W will be a good nightstand gun. It's just up to you and your wallet. :gunsmilie:

PandaLuv
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
They do make a pretty damn good 1911 from what I've read and seen up close. Never shot one though.

I shot one ! Matter of fact that was my first 1911 I've ever shot when I was 19. As I remember, the finish and details were really aggressive than any other SS guns I've shot. Very beautiful.

Kinda pricey though.

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Even when I first started with them I never had that problem. Its in a whole different spot. If anything the Sig Pro could be argued to have more of an issue since the controls are slightly closer.

I respectfully disagree. The decocker and slider release on the p-series guns are fairly close together, and the decocker is actually in a location where many other guns put their slide release which is more forward of where the Sig slide release is.

The Sig Pro, on the other hand, has a different shaped decocker and it is located lower than on the P-series. This seems to differentiate it from the slide release more than the P-series.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTUcRyWbBNq7GQTeTUixbK4IBoRQ-_eoOUADLkX1TRlNAdmik-

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/switzerland/1287727304.jpg

With all of that said, it isn't really a problem until SHTF and you are trying to release the slide under stress and hit the decocker. But that is resolved with lots of training or using a different method (such as the slingshot) to release the slide.

The other option that hasn't been discussed is that the OP could get a DAK version of the p226r or p229r for a night stand gun. That would be something to add to the collection. The weight and feel of the gun would be what he's used to, the slide release would be in the same spot, there would be no decocker to worry about, and the trigger pull would be the same on every round. Some don't like the DAK trigger, and others love it. If I had a W.German 226 with standard cap mags, and if I were looking for a nightstand gun with a constant trigger; the DAK would be where I would look since it could utilize those mags.

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634276874322794390iswwki3h.jpg

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I respectfully disagree. The decocker and slider release on the p-series guns are fairly close together, and the decocker is actually in a location where many other guns put their slide release which is more forward of where the Sig slide release is.

The Sig Pro, on the other hand, has a different shaped decocker and it is located lower than on the P-series. This seems to differentiate it from the slide release more than the P-series.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTUcRyWbBNq7GQTeTUixbK4IBoRQ-_eoOUADLkX1TRlNAdmik-

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/switzerland/1287727304.jpg

With all of that said, it isn't really a problem until SHTF and you are trying to release the slide under stress and hit the decocker. But that is resolved with lots of training or using a different method (such as the slingshot) to release the slide.

Theres a plastic gap piece or depending on your grip, rubber in-between the standard P series where is nothing what so ever with the Sig Pro series, its just a lower shelf. That said just practice more and you wont hit the wrong control. Theres more in-between the decocker, I can see clearly in that picture. In fact, depending on the model grips the slide release at times is slightly more recessed in the grip, it all depends.

That said I'd only use the slide release if the other hand was holding a light or my hand was busy. Slingshot is pretty universal and you even get the added benefit that it has a little more space to go back and ensure it goes back in battery. That said in the tens of thousands of rounds I've shot I've only 1-3 time (on a glock as I recall), fix it since the round for whatever reason didnt seat when using the slide lock. Putting the round back in the mag and slingshoting did. Too many variables though.

Moto4Fun
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
That said in the tens of thousands of pistols I've shot ....

Nevermind my opinion, you have shot WAAAAYYYY more pistols than I have. Unless you are referring to rounds.

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
OP take a look at this model M&P 9.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_770007_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y.

I'd be all over that pistol if it was cheaper.

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Nevermind my opinion, you have shot WAAAAYYYY more pistols than I have. Unless you are referring to rounds.

I meant rounds, typing on a iphone is very difficult :).

That said there is more in-between the levers and there lower profile or as low profile as it gets.

Dont get me wrong I've been a strong supporter of the SIG pro. Wish there were more up here.

cfusionpm
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Having owned a P226R and now an SP2022, I never found myself accidentally hitting the decock on either.... ever. Training and muscle memory is everything. No need to think about it if your thumb goes to the right spot on its own.

Sturnovik
02-24-2012, 1:45 PM
Exactly ^

Saym14
02-24-2012, 4:03 PM
honestly I would get neither. (althought I voted Sig)
if I wrote your poll it would be

HK USPc
or
XD9

Voo
02-24-2012, 4:27 PM
I own both and would feel completely comfortable with using either for home protection.. It's just that I have high capacity magazines for my SIG P226.

mr00jimbo
02-24-2012, 5:05 PM
If you shoot the P226 well, get the P226. If you can rent an M&P and shoot it BETTER, get that, but it sounds like you've got more experience behind the P226.
I like the idea of a heavy first pull if you're using it after waking in the middle of the night.