PDA

View Full Version : "Voluntary" Registration

Irish Gunner
02-22-2012, 3:38 PM
I have seen a couple of posts here that conflict with my understanding from DOJ site.

I just registered my handgun (moved from NM with it), filled out the form and sent in my $19. I didn't list any of my long guns.

My understanding is that handgun registration was MANDATORY and had to be completed shortly after you (or the gun) enter the state. Long gun registration was VOLUNTARY.

Is my understanding right? Did I waste $19? :facepalm:

paul0660
02-22-2012, 3:45 PM
You did it just right.

Librarian
02-22-2012, 3:50 PM
Until 2014, long gun registration is voluntary; now and after then, registering is just silly in almost all cases.

But you did the right thing; moving here with handguns means you are a Personal Handgun Importer, and registering those handguns is mandatory.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-22-2012, 4:35 PM
There is a form for voluntary registration and a different form for mandatory registration by new residents importing handguns.

Irish Gunner
02-22-2012, 4:48 PM
There is a form for voluntary registration and a different form for mandatory registration by new residents importing handguns.

Well that wasn't clear on the form or the website. Hopefully I sent them the right form. :oji:

POLICESTATE
02-22-2012, 4:51 PM
Welkome to Kalifornia Komrade!

Yeah it's all whacko here. Whacko Jacko!

Mssr. Eleganté
02-22-2012, 5:11 PM
Well that wasn't clear on the form or the website. Hopefully I sent them the right form. :oji:

Here's the link to the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report...

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

And here's the link to the Firearms Ownership Record (voluntary registration)...

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf?

They both basically ask for the same information and charge the same fee per firearm, except the volreg form allows you to register long guns. If you used the wrong one it will most likely not cause any problems. A worst you will get a phone call from CalDOJ asking for clarification.

Irish Gunner
02-22-2012, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I did send in the "wrong form", but as you point out, they both have the same information. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Update in the future....

CSACANNONEER
02-22-2012, 8:40 PM
Handgun registration is not mandatory. However, it is mandatory to register all handguns when moving into the state or at time of transfer. However, there are many legally owned unregistered handguns in Ca.

Irish Gunner
02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Handgun registration is not mandatory. However, it is mandatory to register all handguns when moving into the state or at time of transfer. However, there are many legally owned unregistered handguns in Ca.

I guess I was coming from the new resident "Mandatory" registration.

Irish Gunner
03-06-2012, 9:25 AM
Update, Even though I sent the wrong form, they cashed the check so I am assuming that is accepting my registration.