View Full Version : Handgun Shooting Rest

02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm looking to purchase a front handgun shooting rest for sighting in my handguns while at the range. Would like something affordable, well made, easy to store and carry to the range, and won't damage the bluing on my barrels. I've looked at many offered by Midway but would like to see what you guys are using, what works and what doesn't prior to purchase?

02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Most guys I've seen shooting handguns from a rest just use sandbags. You can probably make your own for free.

02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
try caldwell products

02-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, I'm aware of sandbags, they aren't the most convenient to carry, especially to an indoor range. I'm aware of the caldwell products as well.

Just looking for a little feedback from the users and what they like and don't like about the rest they use.

02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Sucks to not have a decent range both the ranges I go to albeit outdoor have free bags and blocks :p I will +1 caldwell though very nice products for the $$$. Most won't be easy to carry though so just be prepared to carry your stuff.

02-22-2012, 1:33 PM
When someone asks me to check their pistol out for zero or accuracy, I'll usually just grab a sandbag at the range or I'll use my range bag. I don't usually rest the front of the gun (barrel/dustcover) on the rest, but just support my arms/hands. It takes a bit more patience and concentration, but it is more representative of what you can expect from the gun.

Shooting from the rollover prone position is just as accurate as from a rest out to 50 yards..it just isn't as fun as shooting standing

02-23-2012, 4:57 AM
I use the Caldwell Pistolero Pistol Shooting Rest. It is not too expensive, around $34, and is very light for carrying to the range.