PDA

View Full Version : First Glock, how to dress it up and more?

animossity
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Just put a glock 22 in jail, my buddy picked up an LE trade in G22 last week and for what he paid it was an amazing performing pistol. I had to go pick one up for myself. This is my first glock and was wondering what were some ways to dress it up a little bit to make it a little more custom/nicer looking? I'll be filling in the lettering etc.. Are there common trigger upgrades people do for glocks or just leave them stock? I know there is a lot of aftermarket support for these pistols but I don't know much about them yet. Had a few other questions as well.

Whats the best place to get some G22 10 round mags?

Anyone try the Jack Ross 40S&W reloads? His pricing is pretty good

I have a 45ACP boresnake will that work for a 40 or should I just drop another 15 bucks and get one made for a 40?

Best place to get aftermarket glock parts?

this will more then likely end up being my nightstand gun.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Just put a glock 22 in jail, my buddy picked up an LE trade in G22 last week and for what he paid it was an amazing performing pistol. I had to go pick one up for myself. This is my first glock and was wondering what were some ways to dress it up a little bit to make it a little more custom/nicer looking? I'll be filling in the lettering etc.. Are there common trigger upgrades people do for glocks or just leave them stock? I know there is a lot of aftermarket support for these pistols but I don't know much about them yet. Had a few other questions as well.

Whats the best place to get some G22 10 round mags?

Anyone try the Jack Ross 40S&W reloads? His pricing is pretty good

I have a 45ACP boresnake will that work for a 40 or should I just drop another 15 bucks and get one made for a 40?

Best place to get aftermarket glock parts?

this will more then likely end up being my nightstand gun.

If its a HD pistol and not a range pistol, keep the internals as stock as possible budd.

Either way, I'd go with night sights after you buy enough mags and ammo to practice with. You dont "HAVE" to have them but I've been glad a few times in the past few years that I had night sights, no joke. If you like the magazine release and/or slide lock then you probably dont need to upgrade, I'm glad mine came with the extended slide lock.

Nothing wrong with Glock OEM parts, stock and/or OEM is almost always more preferable, although with Glocks they do prove to be very decent even with aftermarket offerings like Lonewolf, Ghost and a few others. Those are the top that come to mind though.

Dhena81
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't go to crazy resist the urge to ruin your pistol

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Don't go to crazy resist the urge to ruin your pistol

Yea I sorta agree.

Mags, Ammo and then nightsights/lights if your so inclined. In any case, I'd keep the slide and finish the same. I think you said you wanted it different OP? Tennifer is the best there is, or for that matter the best a civilian can buy probably haha. :43:

Keep the trigger stock, its a good combat trigger, and even glock doesn't recommend a 3.5 connector for carry use, only competition. That said plenty of people have done it for CCW/Defense pistols. I'm sure its more liability than anything why they say that.

animossity
02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Yea I will prolly end up leaving the internals OEM, it actually does have night sights installed on it already.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Yea I will prolly end up leaving the internals OEM, it actually does have night sights installed on it already.

Good choice! Its easier and better to have it done at the factory. I think Glocks are mepros still, damn fine NS. I prefer them lately over my trijicons but I'll never part with either.

nimbus
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I use a 45 boresnake for my 40s. No problem there.

I go to www.lonewolfdist.com or www.glockmeister.com for general parts that I need.

Don't mess with the gun too much if it'll be your HD gun as others have mentioned.

animossity
02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I use a 45 boresnake for my 40s. No problem there.

I go to www.lonewolfdist.com or www.glockmeister.com for general parts that I need.

Don't mess with the gun too much if it'll be your HD gun as others have mentioned.

Good to know on the bore snake, didn't think there would be to much of an issue since the size is pretty close.

1911ZENSHOOTER
02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
3.5 lb connector, tritium sights, mags, ammo, good holster and mag carrier and you're good-to-go. A mostly stock Glock is ideal. Everything else is superfluous.

knerona
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Night sights, extended slide stop, and extended mag release. All factory Glock parts.

Maybe a 3.5 connector if you're willing.

Fishslayer
02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Dress it up with lots of powder residue!:cool:

kato4moto
02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Love my Third Generation Glock 19, which was my first and (so far) only Glock. (My sister has a 23 that I shoot sometimes.) To me, it was almost disappointing coming from a 1911 background that the Glock needed nothing in the way of enhancements. It shoots fine out of the box. Sure, the trigger isn't crisp like a nice 1911, but the only thing I would possibly want to add to mine is night sights. Spend your money on training, ammo and mags. I've decided to spend money on any aftermarket goodies on my 1911s.

animossity
02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Bad news, Just went to order 1000 rounds of 40 on http://www.jackrossammo.com

He is sold out on all his 40s&w. Gonna have to look elsewhere

I have always been a fan of using grease on my pistols along the rails etc. i find it makes the actions alot smoother and lasts longer. Anyone else run grease for their glocks instead of oil?

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Yup, TW25, same stuff Sig uses and recommends. It works wonders.

In any case most factory .40 I find is cheaper online then some of those reloads.

lugee
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
the best color on a Glock is a holster worn slide, with muzzle/powder residue from putting hundreds of rounds down range.

Alpha 1-4
02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Throw it in some mud, drag it behind your truck then run it through a ball mill, that should add the rugged dress up.

G60
Powder residue is the correct answer.

lugee
there's a ammo group buy going on right now. check the ammo classifieds

llamatrnr
02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Perhaps a rail-mounted light . . .

Low-Pressure
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Dress it up with lots of powder residue!:cool:
^^This one^^ :D

BamBam-31
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Best accessory for a Glock is a Dillon. :)

Actually, for a nightstand gun, night sights and maybe A-grip are all I'd add. That and a $0.25 trigger job (basic polish).

Turo
02-22-2012, 12:08 PM

I have always been a fan of using grease on my pistols along the rails etc. i find it makes the actions alot smoother and lasts longer. Anyone else run grease for their glocks instead of oil?

I use small amount of Moly grease on the rails of my Glock 27. I can't stress enough how little I use. It's such a small amount, I'm rarely able to see it on the rails. And I clean it every time I shoot it, so build up isn't an issue for me.

Cosmetics isn't really the reason most people get Glocks, and not many people here will suggest things to make them look "pretty." I've tried filling in the letters on the slide, and it looks nice right after you do it, but give it one cleaning and you'll be forever touching it up (unless you use something more permanent than the normal paint people use.)

Congrats on the new gun though, Glock pistols in .40 are some of the best firearms around.

HighValleyRanch
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Best way to dress it up is to learn how to shoot ragged one hole groups at 15 yards with it. The better it shoots, the better it looks! When others see your one hole target, they can't but look at your glock with admiration!

Cunha
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Its been said, but dress it up by surrounding it with ammo and magazines.

Stock trigger on the glock is fantastic IMO. Stock everything is great. Non extended slide and mag release will not catch on things and you can adapt to them easily. Just shoot the daylights out of it until you are able to match its accuracy.

Lovin
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
My Glock 22 has an extended slide stop, Talon grips, and an internal polish job done by 2200-2300 rounds of spent ammunition.

That's what I recommend.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv74/randylovin/bb162aa2.jpg

duc748bip
02-22-2012, 1:08 PM
planty you can do to your Glock. :43:
Check out good'old Brownells or Glockworx

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75259&d=1289711887

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75258&d=1289711871

kedenimar
02-22-2012, 1:08 PM
i have always liked the Hogue grip sleeves on my Glocks......
the feeling of it matching up with my palm is better, IMHO, than the stock grip....and they aren't that expensive, around 12 -14$. for the record, i have medium sized hands......if you get one, be sure to put it in boiling water for around 5 min. before trying to stretch it over the grip, makes it a whole lot easier!

BigFatGuy
02-22-2012, 1:29 PM
I love the feel of a stock Glock. The only thing I'd add is human skin oils to the grip and trigger surfaces.

Dhena81
02-22-2012, 1:58 PM
Yea I sorta agree.

Mags, Ammo and then nightsights/lights if your so inclined. In any case, I'd keep the slide and finish the same. I think you said you wanted it different OP? Tennifer is the best there is, or for that matter the best a civilian can buy probably haha. :43:

Keep the trigger stock, its a good combat trigger, and even glock doesn't recommend a 3.5 connector for carry use, only competition. That said plenty of people have done it for CCW/Defense pistols. I'm sure its more liability than anything why they say that.

Agreed

Personally all I would do is add a plug and the Vickers slide stop and mag release and put a set of Trijicon HD's on there and your done. If you want a light its hard to beat a TLR-1 for price though I prefer the x300 be sure to check if your 22 functions like it should with a light. Other stuff like mags and holster I'd try and take a defensive class to.

animossity
02-22-2012, 2:02 PM
Yea its actually an LE trade in G22 so its got the seasoned holster wear to it already lol. I'm on the hunt for a large supply of 40 cal at the moment for it and some more mags. Thanks everyone for the input.

DannyInSoCal
02-22-2012, 2:04 PM
Before you go crazy buying crap -

Put a few hundred rounds through it first.

Personally - I dont like the 40 round.

Twice the recoil of a 9mm with only about 10% more energy...

Lovin
02-22-2012, 2:07 PM
AMMO: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397946

Turo
02-22-2012, 2:40 PM
Before you go crazy buying crap -

Put a few hundred rounds through it first.

Personally - I dont like the 40 round.

Twice the recoil of a 9mm with only about 10% more energy...

Recoil is subjective, but there's no scale that .40 would be twice as much recoil as 9mm. 10-20 percent more, sure, but twice as much is a huge over exaggeration.

Lovin
02-22-2012, 2:41 PM
Recoil is subjective, but there's no scale that .40 would be twice as much recoil as 9mm. 10-20 percent more, sure, but twice as much is a huge over exaggeration.

Yeah, you can't get around physics.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 2:52 PM
Twice the recoil.......no.

12voltguy
02-22-2012, 2:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc&feature=related

paul0660
02-22-2012, 2:54 PM
OP, it will still be a Glock.

SouperMan
02-22-2012, 3:02 PM
....internal polish job done by 2200-2300 rounds of spent ammunition.

I'll have this in about 1K of more rounds in my 22C ;)

Shoot it first, and then determine what needs to be done. Popular upgrades are a extended slide stop release and magazine release.

famas619
02-22-2012, 3:04 PM
I just put bullets in and shoot.

LoadedM333
02-22-2012, 3:54 PM
I just put bullets in and shoot.

Yup, keep it the way it is!

DDRH
02-22-2012, 4:39 PM

Yes, Jack Ross is not taking orders right now:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=516093

discussed on thread above.

Also, you can try Freedom Munitions (freedommunitions.com ??) they got pretty good deals, new and reloads.

I just purchased some 9mm from there. Got my ammo in about a week.

Swoop
02-22-2012, 6:48 PM
I was looking for all kinds of stuff myself and just decided to leave it stock =\

Oceanbob
02-22-2012, 7:06 PM
The Glock 22 is a great weapon. For me a handgun has to have good sights. Second would be some talon grip tape for my hands. Third would be an extended slide release.

Leave the trigger alone.

Shoot it often. Lay off the grease. Just a drop of oil on each frame rail. No oil on the breach face or slide area at all.

Maybe in the future a 9MM barrel.

Have fun.!
Bob

MyGlock17
02-22-2012, 7:15 PM
Check out Glockmeister.com they have most of the stuff you need for your Glock...1st thing i did was buy new Pachmayr Tactical grips..They look and fit awesome...Next thing im getting TruGlo TFO night sights...

MrSlippyFist
02-22-2012, 7:19 PM
Dressing up a glock? Like putting a chandelier in an outhouse.

Mstnpete
02-22-2012, 7:27 PM
If you purchased the Glock used from an LE trade in and would like a cosmetic job done to it.

You can:

1. Have the slide hard chromed if the slide is worn and scratched from holstering.
2. Change front and rear sights.
3. Add extended slide release.
3. Stipple the frame for a better grip.

For HD gun leave it alone.
If you plan to use it for competition shooting, well PM me. :)

ps: I just finished today- working on my G17 for my Steel competition pistol.
Trigger job, sight replacement, frame stippling, mag release lightening and added a magwell, improved recoil system installed " Haarts Reduced Recoil system".

ChaneRZ
02-22-2012, 7:27 PM
Check rockyourglock.com

nrvnqsrxk
02-22-2012, 8:39 PM
Err...was grip stippling a fad, or is it still "in"?

Also, why do you guys recommend keeping a HD pistol bone stock? Is it so that the defense attorney can't get you for making using a weapon that was modified to kill people easier?

Mstnpete
02-22-2012, 9:13 PM

Nope, it's just better than using grip tape :oji:
When you are running and shooting while on the move stippling really is better for gripping. Grip tape comes off easily. Some of us that do not have RTF's stipple our own.....lol

den888
02-22-2012, 9:33 PM
I like Glocks pretty stock (except for adding a grip sleeve). Glocks work pretty well out of the box.

mag360
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
these kinds of posts always crack me up. I usually avoid them but I'm bored. Why modify a perfectly good gun? Are you going to put some lame punisher inspection plate on it lol.

if you need an extended mag release then maybe get one of those. Otherwise not sure what else a glock needs. Good set of 3 dot sights and a light is about it.

animossity
02-23-2012, 12:22 AM
these kinds of posts always crack me up. I usually avoid them but I'm bored. Why modify a perfectly good gun? Are you going to put some lame punisher inspection plate on it lol.

if you need an extended mag release then maybe get one of those. Otherwise not sure what else a glock needs. Good set of 3 dot sights and a light is about it.

I'm glad I can amuse you, i thought i asked some legit questions. I've never owned one before and was wondering if there was any popular upgrades people did to them. Like for my M&P9 everyone did the apex trigger upgrade etc..

gorenut
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm now a big fan of the factory - connector paired with the NY1 spring. Gives it a nice consistent trigger that isn't too heavy or light.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm now a big fan of the factory - connector paired with the NY1 spring. Gives it a nice consistent trigger that isn't too heavy or light.

I think I heard even a few competitors talking about this. Apparently its longer pull but absolutely smooth? And best part is its still OEM parts.

I think I have it in my old 90's Glock armorer manual somewhere that mentioned some people did that.

gorenut
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I think I heard even a few competitors talking about this. Apparently its longer pull but absolutely smooth? And best part is its still OEM parts.

I think I have it in my old 90's Glock armorer manual somewhere that mentioned some people did that.

The best way to describe it is that it feels like a miniature DA revolver pull (length of pull, not the size of the revolver) that is light, consistent, and smooth. I can appreciate that since my first shooting experiences were with revolvers. I know its not for everyone since a lot of people prefer the Glock trigger to be as light as possible and with minimal weight before the trigger breaks. If thats what you're after, you're better off just keeping the standard spring with a - connector.

Indeed one of the best parts is that its all OEM parts.

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
The best way to describe it is that it feels like a miniature DA revolver pull (length of pull, not the size of the revolver) that is light, consistent, and smooth. I can appreciate that since my first shooting experiences were with revolvers. I know its not for everyone since a lot of people prefer the Glock trigger to be as light as possible and with minimal weight before the trigger breaks. If thats what you're after, you're better off just keeping the standard spring with a - connector.

Indeed one of the best parts is that its all OEM parts.

I may just order it for fun for the GF when and if she gets a G19. Which part did I need? Browsing lonewolf OEM part sections.

gorenut
02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Just the - connector and the NY1 springs. The - connector usually comes with G34s and G35s.

greybeard
02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Keep the external stock until you know what you want. Google Glock 25 cent trigger job.

Mr.1904
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I put at least a 4.5 connector in all my Glocks.

Model dependent but i put extended slide stop and extended mag release if the stock ones don't work out. Some do, some don't.

Other than that; Lots of mags, and even more bullets

animossity
02-23-2012, 1:09 PM
So many places out of 10 round mags.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2012, 1:15 PM
We have them $29.99

stix213
02-23-2012, 1:22 PM
I'd lighten the trigger with a 3.5lb connector, and consider adding a light. Purpose of the light is to properly identify what you are aiming at before you could potentially make a mistake in the dark. Looks like you already have night sights covered.

Duracoating or other fancy stuff just comes down to preference.

mag360
02-23-2012, 6:59 PM
op, the "how to dress it up" line made me think you are like some gun owners that feel a gun is like a cabbage patch kid that needs a bunch of dumb additions to be "unique".

a trigger upgrade doesn't fall in the dress it up category, that's functional. my 19 and 26 are bone stock, my 20 has night sights, lone wolf barrels for 10mm and 40 s&w but otherwise stock.

USMC 82-86
02-23-2012, 7:59 PM
Yup, keep it the way it is!

I agree. The only thing I have done on a few was put truglo TFO sights on the G19. I have never had any trigger or accuracy issue's out of a stock Glock. They are what a fighting pistol should be and that is reliable and they have more than enough accuracy.

RONIN.
02-24-2012, 2:59 AM
1. shoot it
2. shoot it
3. shoot it
4. shoot it
5. shoot it

as others have said, polish the trigger the proper way by shooting it..

now on all my glocks, I stipple the frame... but that is just me..

greybeard
02-24-2012, 7:08 AM
1. shoot it
2. shoot it
3. shoot it
4. shoot it
5. shoot it

as others have said, polish the trigger the proper way by shooting it..

now on all my glocks, I stipple the frame... but that is just me..
Just shoot it and than if you fine something you do not like, uou can change it. Like stippling the grip.

jchappies
02-24-2012, 7:24 AM
Took mine down to the Glockstore for a 3.5lbs connector and they also recommended the competition spring kit.

I know one thing the trigger is awesome now...

Hopalong
02-24-2012, 7:41 AM
Seems to me there is an old expression

About putting lipstick on a pig :D

GMANtt
02-24-2012, 8:10 AM
OP where did your friend get a LE trade in?

tuna quesadilla
02-24-2012, 8:26 AM
For a defensive pistol, a weapon-mounted light is a must. Bad things do not only happen in broad daylight. The two big contenders in this category are the Streamlight TLR-1 and the Surefire X300.

Get some night sights. Trijicon and Meprolight are my go-to brands.

Get a ton of ammo and mags.

On top of all that, get some professional training.

That's all the "dressing up" a Glock needs. You already have one of the best fighting handguns ever devised.

Oh, and I also run the factory extended slide stop on my Glocks. I find it makes it a LOT easier to lock the slide open for malfunction clearance drills or to show clear. It's something like ten dollars and takes five minutes to install.

GMANtt
02-24-2012, 8:58 AM
What about the Glock Tactical light?

gorenut
02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
What about the Glock Tactical light?

Works just fine if you already have one. Personally though, if I had to buy one.. at that price I'd probably just get a Streamlight.

JJnArms
02-25-2012, 1:18 PM
I also just got a Glock 22. Picking it up tomorrow. Already purchased and will be installing Meprolights and OEM extended slide.

animossity
02-25-2012, 1:24 PM
OP where did your friend get a LE trade in?

He bought his at professional firearms in Lodi, I bought mine at SBR in Sac. The ones in SBR are in much better shape and cheaper.

RealBarber
02-25-2012, 1:40 PM
if you want to dress something up get a 1911

cmichini
02-25-2012, 1:49 PM

Also, why do you guys recommend keeping a HD pistol bone stock? Is it so that the defense attorney can't get you for making using a weapon that was modified to kill people easier?

To me, firearms are typically perfectly fine as designed and manufactured.

I tend to accessorize my guns with extra mags, lots of ammo and plenty of range time/practice.

I think the prettiest firearm is one I can handle like it's an extension of my body and can put rounds exactly where I want.

I adapt to the weapon and learn it. If there's something I don't like after a reasonable time to gain experience with it, I may consider modding it. However, that is not often. Of the many in my stable, I can think of only 1 with any modifications (SA 1911 that I returned to standard guide rod from the one piece that it came with when purchased).

To each his own. I grew up adapting to lots of things (hand me downs, etc) so I take what life gives me and turn it into success.

YMMV