PDA

View Full Version : Green Card Holders and BLM land

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 9:58 AM
I'm a Green Card holder(my goal is to start my process towards the US citizenship no later than March, I've been putting it away for so long). One of the members told me that permanent residents can not transport guns in their cars unless it's a set destination, such as gun range, gun store, home and other people's houses.

BLM land is technically not a set destination, and according to him, I am not allowed shoot in the BLM land. Could someone please clear that up for me?

He showed me the article and I couldn't really comprehend.

Thanks!

Panda

Untamed1972
02-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I believe that only applies for RAWs and NFA registered weapons.

Otherwise.....how would people ever go hunting?

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I believe that only applies for RAWs and NFA registered weapons.

Otherwise.....how would people ever go hunting?

I thought hunting was different because of licensing and regulations.

pepsi2451
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Never heard of that before. Why wouldn't a shooting spot on BLM land count as a destination? What was the article from?

Untamed1972
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I thought hunting was different because of licensing and regulations.

But you're still transporting guns to "unspecified locations" when you go hunting aren't you? There are no laws in CA except RAWs and federally for NFA stuff that have destination/transport restrictions.

There is of course the locked container or in the truck requirement for handguns in CA and for the federal GFSZ.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
But you're still transporting guns to "unspecified locations" when you go hunting aren't you? There are no laws in CA except RAWs and federally for NFA stuff that have destination/transport restrictions.

There is of course the locked container or in the truck requirement for handguns in CA and for the federal GFSZ.

good point. I know hunting is legal for US nationals, but not sure if target shooting is.

Hope someone can chime in as well.

Thanks, Untamed!

stix213
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm a Green Card holder(my goal is to start my process towards the US citizenship no later than March, I've been putting it away for so long). One of the members told me that US nationals can not transport guns in their cars unless it's a set destination, such as gun range, gun store, home and other people's houses.

BLM land is technically not a set destination, and according to him, I am not allowed shoot in the BLM land. Could someone please clear that up for me?

He showed me the article and I couldn't really comprehend.

Sounds like you are talking about the "citizen" language used in PC 25610. It only applies to concealable firearms (handguns) by the way.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=25001-26000&file=25600-25655

PC 25505 - 25595 have the destination specific exemptions for reference, that don't mention "citizen."

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=25001-26000&file=25505-25595

There's been previous threads that have debated whether "citizen" has already been expanded to include legal residents, based on case law unrelated to firearms. I don't remember the outcome of that discussion, but you can probably find it with a search (good luck! :p)

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 1:03 PM
Sounds like you are talking about the "citizen" language used in PC 25610. It only applies to concealable firearms (handguns) by the way.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=25001-26000&file=25600-25655

PC 25505 - 25595 have the destination specific exemptions for reference, that don't mention "citizen."

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=25001-26000&file=25505-25595

There's been previous threads that have debated whether "citizen" has already been expanded to include legal residents, based on case law unrelated to firearms. I don't remember the outcome of that discussion, but you can probably find it with a search (good luck! :p)
hmmm.

Munk
02-22-2012, 4:05 PM
Take a map, put an X on it. That's your destination? It seems like a bit of unnecessary confusion being inflicted upon you.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 4:15 PM
Take a map, put an X on it. That's your destination? It seems like a bit of unnecessary confusion being inflicted upon you.

I know it sounds stupid, but the person telling me this was pretty convinced that permanent residents are not allowed to do for some reason.

I assume that I'm good then, but I would appreciate more input.

a1c
02-22-2012, 4:25 PM
We're talking about a poorly worded California PC section, which instead of mentioning "individuals" like all others, mentions "US citizens."

Do not worry about it.

I transport firearms all the time, I go hunting (which sometimes involves carrying a handgun concealed driving to and from my hunting spots), and I'm applying for my CCW permit this month. And I was already transporting firearms and going hunting even when I was a non-immigrant (but holding a hunter's license).

If I'm ever arrested by some cop trying to show off his knowledge of California PC obscurities, I'll be more than happy to be a test case for the RKBA of non-US citizens in California.

BTW, you keep talking about "US nationals" when referring to non-citizens. "US nationals" are US citizens. You, and I, are NOT "US nationals." You should update your posts and your thread's title to avoid confusion.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 4:32 PM
We're talking about a poorly worded California PC section, which instead of mentioning "individuals" like all others, mentions "US citizens."

Do not worry about it.

I transport firearms all the time, I go hunting (which sometimes involves carrying a handgun concealed driving to and from my hunting spots), and I'm applying for my CCW permit this month. And I was already transporting firearms and going hunting even when I was a non-immigrant (but holding a hunter's license).

If I'm ever arrested by some cop trying to show off his knowledge of California PC obscurities, I'll be more than happy to be a test case for the RKBA of non-US citizens in California.

BTW, you keep talking about "US nationals", meaning non-citizens. "US nationals" are US citizens. You, and I, are NOT "US nationals."

sorry, I will correct that, I thought that US national means Permanent resident.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

stix213
02-22-2012, 4:41 PM
BTW, you keep talking about "US nationals" when referring to non-citizens. "US nationals" are US citizens. You, and I, are NOT "US nationals." You should update your posts and your thread's title to avoid confusion.

That's incorrect, there are many "US nationals" that do not hold citizenship. For example, anyone born in American Samoa is a US national but not a US citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_nationality_law#Nationals_who_are_no t_citizens

I have no idea if this has anything to do with Panda's status though.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 4:51 PM
That's incorrect, there are many "US nationals" that do not hold citizenship. For example, anyone born in American Samoa is a US national but not a US citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_nationality_law#Nationals_who_are_no t_citizens

either way, I'm a Permanent Resident. I should have probably worded it better, but I did fix the OP and the title.

mattt
02-22-2012, 4:55 PM
I thought you had to be a us citizen to own a firearm here?

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 5:24 PM
I thought you had to be a us citizen to own a firearm here?

I have 5 legally owned, used to have 7.

mattt
02-22-2012, 5:28 PM
My bad I thought you had to be citizen to vote or own guns here.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 5:32 PM
My bad I thought you had to be citizen to vote or own guns here.

To vote yes, to own guns no. I just have to go through an extra step to buy guns requiered by the federal law.

mattt
02-22-2012, 5:39 PM
Wow I am not up to date on the laws. So could a large group of poeple not from here all buy rifles here around the same time?

ogarcia_02
02-22-2012, 6:12 PM
Wow I am not up to date on the laws. So could a large group of poeple not from here all buy rifles here around the same time?

Negative to buy any firearm you still have to have proof of state residency, you cannot just show a green card and buy one.

a1c
02-22-2012, 6:43 PM

My bad, you're correct. Some US nationals are not US citizens.

mattt
02-22-2012, 6:49 PM
So we arm anyone that is in this state but wont let them vote?Could someone fill me in on this?

a1c
02-22-2012, 6:58 PM
So we arm anyone that is in this state but wont let them vote?Could someone fill me in on this?

Non-US citizens have basically the same rights as citizens, except for the right to vote. There are a few other things here and there, but basically, when it comes to the Bill of Rights, it applies to all.

Remember that the Constitution starts with "We the People", and that at the time, the concept of citizenship wasn't clearly defined. It became progressively defined through several court cases and legislations, and the trend has been to progressively grant the same rights to all - the people - except for voting rights.

Remember also that there are tens of thousands of non-US citizens in the US armed forces. I believe the first US fatality of the Iraq War was a Mexican national.

mattt
02-22-2012, 6:59 PM
Iran would love to know about this !!!

keenkeen
02-22-2012, 7:58 PM

:rofl2:

ogarcia_02
02-22-2012, 8:38 PM

Yes Mattt, the Iranian government is going to spend $$$ to 1) get US visas 2) fly their secret agents here 3) have them live in CA for at least 3 months in order for them to buy 10 rd glocks and some remington 870's :facepalm:

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 8:43 PM

well, I am disappointed.

bloodhawke83
02-22-2012, 8:48 PM
Did you keep your Soviet passport? Those are cool collectible items.

PandaLuv
02-22-2012, 8:50 PM
Did you keep your Soviet passport? Those are cool collectible items.

i have the commie birth certificate.

bloodhawke83
02-22-2012, 9:34 PM
i have the commie birth certificate.

If the paper is acid free, get it framed. If not, you should get it treated to remove the acid. Would be a cool item to pass down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PandaLuv
02-23-2012, 9:38 PM
so I assume I'm good?

zfields
02-23-2012, 9:40 PM

I think its time just to let the big boys and girls talk, and go back to playing with your toys.

roushstage2
02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes Mattt, the Iranian government is going to spend $$$ to 1) get US visas 2) fly their secret agents here 3) have them live in CA for at least 3 months in order for them to buy 10 rd glocks and some remington 870's :facepalm:

Tisk, tisk. Don't forget the fancy bullet buttons! A must-have item! :p

dieselpower
02-24-2012, 4:47 AM

Maybe if you believed in the 2nd Amendment this wouldn't surprise you. There are many here...like 99%...who believe ALL people have the right to self defense...not just the ones the government says can. You obviously feel firearms and defending oneself is a privilege granted by the State.

You should read a little more before commenting in threads.