PDA

View Full Version : returning from Arizona with my RAW

hokshi
02-22-2012, 8:41 AM
I am going to see family in Arizona for a weekend. I am taking my OLL and the high cap magazines I have for it. I am also taking my registered 50bmg. I plan on keeping the OLL configured for california untill Im at the range out there, then using a standard mag release button and 20rd mags. I will configure the rifle back to cali configuration before I leave the range. Ill have some normal stuff too (30-30, 10/22, mini 14) and everything will be locked in hard or soft cases.

My main concern is the 50bmg, can I take it out of state and return with it?

INDABZ
02-22-2012, 9:16 AM
I am going to see family in Arizona for a weekend. I am taking my OLL and the high cap magazines I have for it. I am also taking my registered 50bmg. I plan on keeping the OLL configured for california untill Im at the range out there, then using a standard mag release button and 20rd mags. I will configure the rifle back to cali configuration before I leave the range. Ill have some normal stuff too (30-30, 10/22, mini 14) and everything will be locked in hard or soft cases.

My main concern is the 50bmg, can I take it out of state and return with it?

Well you can travel with your RAW to and from the range.....so you're taking it to the range in AZ....and back is okay...

hokshi
02-22-2012, 9:46 AM
i know its kinda silly, but we do have silly laws here. I just wanted to make sure someone doesn't say once I take the 50bmg out of state it cant legally come back.

CHS
02-22-2012, 9:54 AM
RAW's and Registered 50bmg's can be taken from the state and back. Same goes with large-capacity magazines that you possessed in the state prior to 2000.

Legally, you can even MOVE from California, take up residency in AZ, and then move back in 5 years with those same firearms. Moving from CA doesn't make them no longer registered to you or prevent them from being legally possessed by you.

hokshi
02-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Thank you.

bwiese
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Recasting some of the above posts based on OP's usage/phrasing:

Your OLL is not an RAW. It needs to be in CA legal status (w/BulletButton, or run
"featureless" whenever in California or entering into CA.

The moment you're in a free state (AZ) you can change the mag catch, make it a
'normal' gun, etc. You just have to remember to return it to its CA-legal status
before crossing back into CA. Some people have forgotten and gotten into trouble.
Your "registered 50BMG rifle" is not a RAW either, as '50BMG rifle' is really a separate
entity/category - however, this separate category is treated essentially the same as
RAWs in terms of strictures, allowed behaviors and penalties.

You are free to exit and reenter CA with a RAW and/or 50BMG rifle
that was appropriately registered as such with the DOJ (50BMG
entities had to be specially registered with DOJ by, IIRC, Spring
2005 unless they were already registered RAWs (either SB23 or
Roberti-Roos guns)