PDA

View Full Version : Sig custom shop or local ?

chopjaw
02-22-2012, 8:28 AM
Hello all, this is my first official post outside the newbie area...

I have owned a Sig P220 for since 89. I have about 4000 rounds thru it. I have put away my gun for about 5yrs and have not shot it. New baby and life etc… I went shooting with some friends a week ago and the BUG is back in me. SO my question is, it's prolly time to get my Sig some Tender Loving Care, should I send it to the Sig Custom shop for a complete makeover or is there somebody local in SoCal that can do? With asking this question what should I do apart from the usual springs and such. There are so many options to get what really do any of you suggest.

1. SIG SERVICE PACKAGE (SSP)
2. ACTION ENHANCEMENT PACKAGE (AEP)
3. SIG SHORT RESET TRIGGER (SRT) Which I really think I would like..
4. DAK CONVERSION Not sure how this will work with having the SRT done or if I can even have both.. Not sure if I need both….?

Any help or suggestions with this will be greatly appreciated. IF any of you know of a good gunsmith in SoCal that can do this then please let me know.

Thanks
Chop.

dbress
02-22-2012, 8:35 AM
I had TDS GUNS in San Diego install a SRT in my sig P220R and they did a great job and reasonable too.

Striker
02-22-2012, 8:58 AM
I would look at Gray Guns first. A friend of mine owns a P226 that Grays worked over. It is amazing. I would also try Apex Tactical. I heard one of the gunsmiths from Grays works there now. Bruce Gray would be my first choice for any Sig enhancements.

Heiko
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Maybe this is not a realistic option for you but I would leave that '89 P220 unmolested and buy a newer one to mess with. If you were to just change springs out and and do a general tune up that's one thing but to convert it to SRT or DAK just doesn't seem right to me for a Sig of that vintage. Maybe I'm just weird. I have a West German made P220 from about 1993 that I have left stock and have since purchased a P220R and P220 Elite to satisfy my need for a Sig with some different specs like a rails and SRT trigger.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Don't bother with gray guns.

Sig should cut you a discount if you do 2 or more services. I had my 89 p226 sent in few months back and had the slide refinished and the service package with night sights. They even threw in a free ramp polish. The service package is nice if its old and/or has had some wear on it and in it. My P226 looks and feels like new.

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
I've got a P228 that I sent to sig sauer for SRT and the works. It was the best thing I've done to the pistol. I know its vintage, but I actually shoot it so it was money well spent.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
And yea don't go dak on that old of a sig, keep it da/SA, and last I checked it has to be 2004/2005 or later. They may have done it on ocassions though.

KeithG
02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
I understand that forum member Sig Marine is a certified SIG armorer in the San Diego area. You might PM him with questions.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I understand that forum member Sig Marine is a certified SIG armorer in the San Diego area. You might PM him with questions.

I believe he is as well, and if he's local thats a plus.

Otherwise I say Sig Custom shop. There price is excellent honestly and they know what there doing. They treated me much better than Glock or Smith ever did (which who knows, maybe it was a fluke on there part).

Make sure if you have a request though when you send it (if you do to the Sig CS), to have a note for the gunsmith. I asked to keep the items and for him to check certain things, he did.

9mmepiphany
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
The big advantage of of sending it to SIG is their short turnaround time.

If you don't need extensive work or tuning, they do a pretty good job. But don't make the mistake of thinking their level of skill in tuning the SIG action is comparable with that of Bruce Gray at GGI (Fossil, OR) or Scott Folk at Apex Tactical (Los Oso, CA). It is all about what you want done and how soon you want it.

1. SIG SERVICE PACKAGE (SSP) - this package is about updating the spring and pins, while cleaning up the internals. Any SIG Armorer could do this

2. ACTION ENHANCEMENT PACKAGE (AEP) - This polishes the contact areas to insure correct fit and function

You wouldn't get both

3. SIG SHORT RESET TRIGGER (SRT) Which I really think I would like.. - this is the factory version of the GGI Reduced Reset and was designed to answer the S&W Gen 3 pistol's reset in a bid for the CHP contract. I can be very helpful in quicker followup shots if you have the training to take advantage of it. I hope you are not confusing the SRT with their Short Trigger, The SRT is completely internal

4. DAK CONVERSION Not sure how this will work with having the SRT done or if I can even have both.. Not sure if I need both….? - The DAK is an optimized DAO trigger system. It is incompatibly with a DA/SA trigger, much less a SRT

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:19 AM
The big advantage of of sending it to SIG is their short turnaround time.

If you don't need extensive work or tuning, they do a pretty good job. But don't make the mistake of thinking their level of skill in tuning the SIG action is comparable with that of Bruce Gray at GGI (Fossil, OR) or Scott Folk at Apex Tactical (Los Oso, CA). It is all about what you want done and how soon you want it.

+1,000.

chopjaw
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe this is not a realistic option for you but I would leave that '89 P220 unmolested and buy a newer one to mess with. If you were to just change springs out and and do a general tune up that's one thing but to convert it to SRT or DAK just doesn't seem right to me for a Sig of that vintage. Maybe I'm just weird. I have a West German made P220 from about 1993 that I have left stock and have since purchased a P220R and P220 Elite to satisfy my need for a Sig with some different specs like a rails and SRT trigger.

THe build of my Sig is better then what the new ones are coming with ( I think). The only thing I dont have is the Rail. Not sure if I want that anyway. I'm pretty good with my little surefire and Sig if I need to do some night work. If I want to scare somebody then I turn on the laser or just use the night sights... I know that I cannot do the DAK to my version of Sig.. If I buy a gun then it will be a rifle of some sorts. I don't need 5 handguns, I only shoot one at a time. (yes My opinion might change for the FN five seven..:)

Thanks.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
THe build of my Sig is better then what the new ones are coming with ( I think). The only thing I dont have is the Rail. Not sure if I want that anyway. I'm pretty good with my little surefire and Sig if I need to do some night work. If I want to scare somebody then I turn on the laser or just use the night sights... I know that I cannot do the DAK to my version of Sig.. If I buy a gun then it will be a rifle of some sorts. I don't need 5 handguns, I only shoot one at a time. (yes My opinion might change for the FN five seven..:)

Thanks.

Its not "Better", the newer slides have a better finish and take more abuse in the long run. That said, if the W. German model is in good condition, it holds value longer and better for the most part, or so it seems everywhere I look. In the long run it doesn't matter assuming you dont want to sell it lol.

That said yea DAK units, as it stated on the website when I looked, can only be down like 2003/2004/2005 and up, cant remember what year it started on as a option to be converted. The DAK is the only DAO like trigger system with a hammer I'd bother trying again. Its actually very nice, I just know I prefer DA/SA for Sigs. The P239/P224 are very good choices for DAK though.

hyperion.excal
02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Try sig mariner he is in socal might be closer to you he is a certified sig armorer.

chopjaw
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Try sig mariner he is in socal might be closer to you he is a certified sig armorer.

Thanks I'll drop him a line.

Do you mean Sig Marine?

KeithG
02-22-2012, 1:44 PM
SIG Marine is correct.

KeithG
02-22-2012, 1:45 PM
Make that, Sig Marine. :eek:

socalbowhunter
02-22-2012, 1:56 PM
Tom from FirePower Depot is a member of CGN. Talk to him. He has done quite a bit of work on my guns recently. I love having a great gunsmith local. His number is 714-381-7851 and he is in Riverside. I highly recommend him.

Sig Marine
02-22-2012, 3:48 PM
Thanks to all for the referral. PM on its way to Chopjaw.

Semper Fi...Sig Marine (Certified Sig Armorer)