PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a rifle from big 5 sporting goods

03ephatch
02-22-2012, 4:48 AM
i'm new to calguns & fairly new to this hobby. i would like to get some personal input from those who have dealt with them. i was looking at a .30 cal remmington. any advice? thanks guys.

AlliedArmory
02-22-2012, 5:15 AM
Bought a shotgun from there and was perfectly fine aside from the 11 day wait instead of 10. I still generally prefer the smaller stores though.

MA2
02-22-2012, 5:19 AM
That's where I get my running shoes :)

Never bought firearms nor ammo there, but I would cross check pricing with local shops or online...

Solid Foundation
02-22-2012, 5:30 AM
If the price is right, why not?
Ultimately comes from the same place.

cdtx2001
02-22-2012, 5:34 AM
Their prices on shotguns and rifles are pretty good. I wouldn't buy ammo from them simply because it's too expensive.

My first gun was a Marlin model 70 from Big5. Paid $120 for it and I still have it.

toby
02-22-2012, 5:50 AM
NO! I buy my firearms at gun stores that cater to selling guns and not tennis shoes and basket balls, or private sales. There is no one at any Big-5 that knows dink about guns anyway, and if you have questions or concerns who's gonna help ya? IMO

Milsurps
02-22-2012, 5:53 AM
i'm new to calguns & fairly new to this hobby. i would like to get some personal input from those who have dealt with them. i was looking at a .30 cal remmington. any advice? thanks guys.

I've bought Milsurps and shotguns from them when the price was right. Yes they have a 11 day wait. No big deal. The cashiers n sales folks are pretty clueless about the guns, but the "managers" aren't to bad. YMMV

Bukowski
02-22-2012, 5:57 AM
I have bought from them in the past. They are OK if you want a cheap 10-22, shotgun, or crusty mil-surp. Just wait for a "sale" on the gun you want, everything goes on sale about once a month lol.

NapaCountyShooter
02-22-2012, 6:02 AM
Only if it was a deal that I couldn't get anywhere else.

VegasND
02-22-2012, 6:14 AM
I've bought from them on occasion. They only sell rifles and shotguns, but if you watch their sales you can get a good deal. Regular prices suck.

Last thing I bought there was a Rossi .44 mag lever action.

negolien
02-22-2012, 6:24 AM
I also have purchased firearms from the 5 and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

TNP'R
02-22-2012, 6:25 AM
Bought a mossberg persuader, 2 mosin nagants and a marlin 795 from them and all work perfectly so i'd recommend them.

CDFingers
02-22-2012, 6:26 AM
Heck ya! Have, and will again. Of course it depends on the gun. The ones I've bought are milsurps.

CDFingers

dieselpower
02-22-2012, 6:27 AM
NO! I buy my firearms at gun stores that cater to selling guns and not tennis shoes and basket balls, or private sales. There is no one at any Big-5 that knows dink about guns anyway, and if you have questions or concerns who's gonna help ya? IMO

I agree to a point. I like small shops who generally have more knowledgeable employees, but I can say this about 90% of the things we all buy, yet you have no trouble buying those items. Walmart employees tend to be uneducated about many things Walmart sells...that doesn't mean you go buy that item from someone else does it? Do you expect the guy in the electronics department to have an Electronics Engineering degree?

Why do people believe a salesman must be an expert? This failure in logic leads to the next flaw ... all salesman ARE experts so if the guy doesnt know then the item is bad?????? Most gun store employees know very little about guns. Some know a lot about some guns, some know a lot about a type of gun, some know how to take your money after BSing you into thinking they are experts. In the end its the expert salesman who will win.

Its only when that expert salesman is on a web-forum and starts his sales BSing where a real expert can chime in and expose the BS. We all know and read the threads that start out... "I heard in a gun store.... blah blah blah." It ranges from funny to maddening...from obscure to unsafe.... but rarely is it correct.

There are exceptions of course. Many small shops do in fact have experts, but all I need from a store is inventory.

No employee of the store is going to be 100% honest with you. They will (at most) divert your attention away from something THEY don't like. Little story to back that up... I was in a small shop that sells consignment guns (guns brought to the shop by customers for the shop to sell for the customer). Another customer asks a salesman to see a handgun. The salesman says, "That thing is a POS, five other guys have asked about it and I told them not to buy it. I sold them one of these." then the salesman tries to hand the customer another firearm. The customer says, "No I want to see that handgun." Again the salesman proclaims the used firearm to be worthless junk and calls over a second salesman to back him up...and the second salesman agrees. The customer asks to see the owner. As it turns out the customer is the owner of the used handgun and has been paying a monthly fee to "rent" space under the glass. The POS handgun is actually a very collectible firearm. I never saw the employee again, but I did see a Help Wanted sign in the door the next day.

Once again, all you should need from a store employee is them to hand you an item for inspection. At that time you should not have to ask questions. If you do, don't think everything you hear is accurate. Big 5, Turners, WalMart, Kmart, Target, Sears, Cabelas, Bass Pros are all the same.

acegunnr
02-22-2012, 6:37 AM
Bought two shotguns in the past from two different stores. As long as you know what you want and have shopped around, they are good to go. Don't expect fast processing of paperwork and knowledgeable help unless you luck out and get a gun person as a clerk.

sephy
02-22-2012, 7:20 AM
If they have the best price then go for it. They do an 11 day wait as mentioned, but that's not a big deal for the right price. Also, big chains like this (at least in my experience) tend to take longer to get through the transaction. Once again, not a big deal.

carmad
02-22-2012, 7:36 AM
Bought a Marlin 795, Mossberg 500 and Mosin 91/30, all on sale the price was right. My local store manager seems pretty knowledgable. If you know what you want and they have it go for it.

Paper Boy
02-22-2012, 7:57 AM
I have bought a rifle there, sometimes they have sales that are hard to beat.... If they have it why not?

bloodhawke83
02-22-2012, 8:16 AM
Yes, I've bought 2 mosins there. Sometimes they have great deals.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

longhairchris
02-22-2012, 9:22 AM
Bought a Marlin 795 and a few Mausers back in the day. Years ago, I bought a Turk Mauser during a black friday sale - $40!!! Should have bought all of them. They have good prices on shotguns all the time.

If you buy from Big5, know what you're getting first and don't ask questions they won't know the answers to. And buy your ammo at WalMart.

Malmon
02-22-2012, 9:22 AM
Bought a rifle that was on sale, they sometimes have good deals.. My observations are: ammos are really expensive there, they have an 11 day wait period instead of 10, and they will not give you a copy of the DROS unless you ask for a manager.

5shot
02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Yep, bought guns there when they've been on sale. Usually very good sale prices. I know what I want or need, so I don't need a sales person to be a expert on the guns. Very few are now days anyway.
They're not the small neighborhood gun shop, but I like supporting them anyway. In a time when all the major sporting goods and department stores have long given up on gun sales, Big 5 is still selling guns.

Wodsworthy
02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I bought my 10/22 and my 91/30 there. I'd only buy stuff if it were on sale. Haven't bought ammo there yet though. Everything seems a bit overpriced.

Bought a Marlin 795 and a few Mausers back in the day. Years ago, I bought a Turk Mauser during a black friday sale - $40!!! Should have bought all of them. They have good prices on shotguns all the time.

D: Man, I wish I was around when that was happening :P

berto
02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Know what you want, what they have, and go when it's on sale.

I miss the days when firearms weren't excluded from most of their coupons.

raddogz
02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I just purchased and picked up my 10/22 from them. Helpful sales staff, but unfortunately very short-staffed. The folks who man the firearms, man the scope area as well so it's lot of walking around and waiting.

It's okay for me - as long as I get service in a reasonable amount of time and they aren't rude no biggy. I bought .22 ammo and it was reasonably priced even it was on sale. I could certainly get cheaper but I would have to drive farther (I'm in SF) - no ammo can be purchased in the city & county of SF (boo for me)

polo.45
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah!!! I got a rifle from then on presidents day..easy fast and the kid helping me knows more about guns then some guys that work at big gunshop name paxxxxxxxtrs... If they could sale handguns that will be my gunstore.

CessnaDriver
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I did last year, no problems.

gl0ckc0ma
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I bought a Savage .22 and had horible feeding isues, and I tried every .22 round out there. They exchange it with no hassle and I traded it for a Marlin 795, which I am much happier with. Also everything else I by there ie hunting supplies, sons baseball equipment, etc. They never give me any problrms with returns if it's needed. IMHO they have great customer service there.

Fishslayer
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM

You get your firearms information from gun store employees?:rolleyes:

stix213
02-22-2012, 1:09 PM
I've bought a mossberg 500 and an M91/30 from Big5. No problems. I'm considering getting a Sig 522 from them too.

Don't go in there expecting some wealth of firearms knowledge from them. In fact, ignore any legal advice they give you. Just go in, look at what you are interested in buying, and decide on your own while ignoring anything they tell you.

If you need hand holding and want to actually discuss the firearm with the dealer, go somewhere else.

TheBest
02-22-2012, 1:17 PM
I have before and will do it again!

echo6cavedog
02-22-2012, 1:23 PM
YES! I've bought a few rifles and shotguns from Big 5. If you join their e-club, they'll send you coupons for discounts. Most coupons exclude firearms and ammo, but when they do include firearms and ammo, I'm all over it.

wolfy
02-22-2012, 1:51 PM
Yes I bought my first firearm for 199 about 4 years ago. It was a 1022 and knew what I wanted. Local stores wanted 230-240 for the same rifle. Just do your own info and know what you want. As been said wait for a sale but if you talk to the manager he is capable if giving you the sale price even if it's not on sale.

PressCheck
02-22-2012, 1:57 PM
Sure - Bought a 10/22 from them.

voiceofreason
02-22-2012, 2:20 PM
What .30 cal Remington are you thinking of? 30-06?

RedFord150
02-22-2012, 2:44 PM
I bught my Mossberg 500 from them. The manager of the Chino Store Gun Dept. was pretty knowledgeable. He took the time to let me shoulder a whole bunch of SG's before I picked the 20" 8 shot model.

Jel
02-22-2012, 3:26 PM
Bought 2 rifles from them and wouldn't hesitate to buy there again. I don't expect the people there to be experts on the guns they have in stock. I DO expect them to know the process of DROS'ing the firearm and making sure that that process goes nice and smoothly.

duggan
02-22-2012, 3:38 PM
Better to go into it having a reasonable suspicion they aren't going to know jack about guns than to walk in somewhere and deal with a know-it-all blowhard. My local Big 5 has fairly knowledgable employees at the firearms counter (for the most part).

jmpgnr24k
02-22-2012, 3:39 PM
I agree to a point. I like small shops who generally have more knowledgeable employees, but I can say this about 90% of the things we all buy, yet you have no trouble buying those items. Walmart employees tend to be uneducated about many things Walmart sells...that doesn't mean you go buy that item from someone else does it? Do you expect the guy in the electronics department to have an Electronics Engineering degree?

Why do people believe a salesman must be an expert? This failure in logic leads to the next flaw ... all salesman ARE experts so if the guy doesnt know then the item is bad?????? Most gun store employees know very little about guns. Some know a lot about some guns, some know a lot about a type of gun, some know how to take your money after BSing you into thinking they are experts. In the end its the expert salesman who will win.

Its only when that expert salesman is on a web-forum and starts his sales BSing where a real expert can chime in and expose the BS. We all know and read the threads that start out... "I heard in a gun store.... blah blah blah." It ranges from funny to maddening...from obscure to unsafe.... but rarely is it correct.

There are exceptions of course. Many small shops do in fact have experts, but all I need from a store is inventory.

No employee of the store is going to be 100% honest with you. They will (at most) divert your attention away from something THEY don't like. Little story to back that up... I was in a small shop that sells consignment guns (guns brought to the shop by customers for the shop to sell for the customer). Another customer asks a salesman to see a handgun. The salesman says, "That thing is a POS, five other guys have asked about it and I told them not to buy it. I sold them one of these." then the salesman tries to hand the customer another firearm. The customer says, "No I want to see that handgun." Again the salesman proclaims the used firearm to be worthless junk and calls over a second salesman to back him up...and the second salesman agrees. The customer asks to see the owner. As it turns out the customer is the owner of the used handgun and has been paying a monthly fee to "rent" space under the glass. The POS handgun is actually a very collectible firearm. I never saw the employee again, but I did see a Help Wanted sign in the door the next day.

Once again, all you should need from a store employee is them to hand you an item for inspection. At that time you should not have to ask questions. If you do, don't think everything you hear is accurate. Big 5, Turners, WalMart, Kmart, Target, Sears, Cabelas, Bass Pros are all the same.

Hit it on the head. I went through almost the same thing at Turners, ammo bros and Gunrunners. If you see a gun on sale or at a good price do your own research and buy it if you like it. Doesn't matter what store is selling it.

Irish Gunner
02-22-2012, 3:42 PM
If you know what you want then yes. I have had the gun store guys take the "better than tho" attitude. In the end a Remington is a Remington, it is not about the store you buy it at. Having said that I like to build a relationship with the gun store and give them m business. Unfortunately the local yahoo's won't get my business.

Deadbolt
02-22-2012, 3:45 PM
bought a m24/47 mauser from them. It was the 7th one i looked at, and it was found in the 3rd store i went to looking for the m24/47.

Their milsurps are generally beat to snot but sometimes you can find a good one.

If you goto Bg 5 - know what you want before you enter the store. Its not a gunshop so don't go in expecting correct answers to your questions

as long as you satisfy the bolded part - big5 is great if they have a sale item you want

toby
02-22-2012, 4:34 PM
You get your firearms information from gun store employees?:rolleyes:

It was meant for newbs actually or those who have never. I need no info on firearms, all the same I don't buy firearms from Big5 or Walmart, and even if it was to save a hundred bucks I still go elsewhere, no I'm not rich it's just the way I do thing's....;)

bambam8d1
02-22-2012, 4:47 PM
yessir I have bought several from them. Shotguns and a 30-30. kinda miss seeing there ads and browsin through to see what deals they have. Although now I dont have to wait to buy a firearm, just walk in and out about 20 minutes later with whatever u want. gotta try that still havent gotten anything out here yet.

Agent 0range
02-22-2012, 9:27 PM
My first firearm purchase was a Remington 870 shotgun from Big 5. I had already done my research, knew what I wanted, and went in an hour before closing on the last day of the sale. I had just moved, so the address on my license was out of date. The manager let me come in 2 days later with my DMV drivers history printout and pick it up for the sale price. Would buy from them again, but as suggested by many, know what you want when you walk in as opposed to relying on their sales staff to give you straight answers.

Hot Brass
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes!

Merc1138
02-28-2012, 3:23 AM
It was meant for newbs actually or those who have never. I need no info on firearms, all the same I don't buy firearms from Big5 or Walmart, and even if it was to save a hundred bucks I still go elsewhere, no I'm not rich it's just the way I do thing's....;)

So you like simply throwing away money because the knowledge of the employees, that you don't need isn't up to your standards?

That'd be like if I went to an electronics store to buy RAM for my computer and walked out because the guy behind the counter didn't know how many layers the PCB was, so I decide to leave and pay 20% more at a smaller shop just because the guy behind the counter can give me information that I already knew or don't need.

If big5 has exactly what I want in stock at a better price and with less attitude than the "good ol' boys" at the local gun shop, yeah I'll go to big 5.

toby
02-28-2012, 5:50 AM
Yeah thats it exactly..........I like the way people try so hard to make things the way they want them to be........

kablooie
02-28-2012, 8:02 AM
i think their ad in the sunday (2/26) paper had a coupon for firearms... but my local big5 is lax on the firearm exclusion. they let me buy my moss500 using a 10% off coupon while it was on sale. i have also used the 10% off coupon for ammo, which the clerk forced the register to accept the coupon (as she explained what she was doing... i wasnt trying to pull a fast one). if they are going out of their way to make the sale sweeter for me, then i'll keep shopping there. OR maybe they dont want to lose the sale to turners which is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET! LOL.

OP: if you know what you want, check the classifieds and see which is a better deal. why pay tax and why not help out a fellow CG'r? my 2 cents.

rudigan
02-28-2012, 8:09 AM
Yes I have, ammo and other stuff also. Would not hesitate to do it again for the right item at the right price.

TNP'R
02-28-2012, 8:28 AM
bought a m24/47 mauser from them. It was the 7th one i looked at, and it was found in the 3rd store i went to looking for the m24/47.

Their milsurps are generally beat to snot but sometimes you can find a good one.

If you goto Bg 5 - know what you want before you enter the store. Its not a gunshop so don't go in expecting correct answers to your questions

as long as you satisfy the bolded part - big5 is great if they have a sale item you want

This, the internet is full of useful information.

MyNamesMeToo
02-28-2012, 8:38 AM
i plan on purchasing a long gun there. they're the only shop in my area. i've purchased ammo there. theres always a sale on at lease one the of calibers i shoot.

Rhythm of Life
02-28-2012, 8:49 AM

Blanket statement....
Assumption.....

I was raised to look out for people like you. People say some were born in a barn but I never met one til now.

xrMike
02-28-2012, 9:28 AM
Most definitely I would and have bought firearms from Big5. I love supporting a big box-style store that still has the ballz to sell guns and ammo in California. One of the few left!

And as far as the knowledge thing, who goes into ANY gun store knowing LESS than the salespeople that work there? I am not that kind of shopper. By the time I'm ready to make a purchase, I've ALREADY done my research and know WAY more about what I want to buy than anybody in the store. So that is never an issue for me.

toby
02-28-2012, 4:31 PM
Blanket statement....
Assumption.....

I was raised to look out for people like you. People say some were born in a barn but I never met one til now.

Just for you......:sarcasm:

03ephatch
04-26-2012, 11:28 PM

lol. funny thing is, i actually met a legitimate gun fanatic who happens to be the front end supervisor tonight. it's a one stop sport shop. lol. i just don't shoot guns. i play sports (ie. football, basketball and softball equipment), that's why i asked the big question.

mosinnagantm9130
04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Yep. I've bought three rifles there, and another of my rifles that I got through a private sale was also from Big 5.

Scratch705
04-26-2012, 11:39 PM
would i? well i already answered that question by buying my first gun a .22lr rifle there.

would i buy there again? only if they got some good deals (like mosins for $100 or just cheap shotgun as a trunk gun.)

KandyRedCoi
04-27-2012, 2:38 AM
just like turners, big5 here in socal is only worth dropping by their store and giving them business when stuff goes on sale

JNunez23
04-27-2012, 8:48 AM
If you've done your homework and don't have pre-purchase questions. Knock yourself out!

Otherwise, the price better be right.

NOTABIKER
04-27-2012, 8:49 AM
being that i like 22s i like big 5. at turners most people are looking at guns i will never own. i feel at home at big 5. i just bought a savage 22 simi and scope combo for 159 bucks. i bought 2 22s at ammo bros and they were nice to me. i sure wish wall mart sold guns in Calif.

Kelster1574
04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I purchased a Colt Umarex M4 Ops a year or so ago......saved about $150 by buying it from them while it was on sale compared to my other local shops.

dbo31
04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Their prices on shotguns and rifles are pretty good. I wouldn't buy ammo from them simply because it's too expensive.

This^

I got a great price on a Mossy 500 there..and quickly went elsewhere to buy ammo for it. They manage to have great sales on some shotguns and rifles but for some reason I guess they're trying to make back that money on ammo

Squid
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
only one $25 DROS per long guns purchase transaction, and that $25 becomes a high % of price for your "starter" guns.

No limit to number of long guns!

Here is what you need:

a) 22lr (Ruger 10/22, Savage or Marlin)

b) Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 which ever you like best (20 or 12 gauge, 'security' or long field...just get one)

c) Mosin (at least two! 91/30 or shorter new "M-44" or even M-38)

d) Maybe even a starter scoped combo bolt action, something cheap and easy to shoot like a .223, but I don't know enough to recommend anything.

rp55
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I have bought several long guns at Big 5: several Mosin's M1891/30 and a M-38, Remington 870, Puma 1892, Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14.

Since we're on the topic of Big 5. Here's a 2 day coupon for Today (Friday 4/27) and Tomorrow (Saturday 4/28). It's for for $10 off any firearm over $100. $20 off any firearm over $200 or $30 off any firearm over $500, and that's good off the "lowest ticketed price." One rarely sees these kinds of coupons from Big 5 and if you thinking about something there I'd day jump on it.

Big 5 2-Day coupon (http://images.emaildir2.com/clients/Big5537/2012/04_2012/0427_2DaysOnly/coupon_2days.jpg)

Socalmedix
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Big 5 treated me better than Turners... Oh and big 5 has a paper system that works 100x better than the "computer system" that Turners claims to have...

dbo31
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Another great thing is there's almost never a wait. If you know what you want to buy you can go in..even on a Saturday...take a look at the gun without having to take a number..ask questions and get out of there in under an hour. Almost impossible at Turners or any of the other shops here in San Diego

insik
04-28-2012, 10:47 AM
I've got my MP15-22 and Mossy 500 from Big5. Turners is cheaper at that time (MP15-22) but then I have to travel 40 miles twice. Besides, they don't usually have a line. 11 days wait is not a big deal for me.

busta00
04-28-2012, 4:54 PM
just bought an ati gsg522sd for 405 out the door. pick up is tomorrow. They gave me sale price of 389 plus 10 percent off, so i cant complain. Every where i looked had it for about 400 plus tax and dros. in sf bay area

FalconLair
04-28-2012, 6:56 PM
why expect a salesman working for a store to have solid information about everygun they have in their counter or on the rack? Before I purchase a firearm I do my own research, there are plenty of avenues on the web that can probably give you better, more detailed information, then a salesperson. The rest comes down to your own examination of the firearm and the feel you get with it.

As far as purchasing from Big 5, whats the difference? If its the gun your looking for then its the same gun your LGS is carrying too. Only difference is price.

RED VASQUEZ
04-28-2012, 8:56 PM
I've bought most of my long guns at Big 5 in Madera. Twice I've gone in to look at a particular gun and have had the staff honor the sale price even a couple of days after the fact. I plan on going back when work picks up and see what kind of deal I can get on a Marlin 60, so's I can get into the rimfire game.

Just-in
04-28-2012, 9:08 PM

Meh not true the managers at the San Leandro store I assume they are management regardless the two ladies I've come across there are very knowledgeable I was down right shocked initially. Fremont it is hit or miss who is working that day. Regardles they are big box stores I choose to support the little guy and yes there are many bad apples in the barrel.

I say go for it to stay on topic. If you know it is what you want I've bought a few shotguns from them never a rifle yet.

bob_e95482
04-29-2012, 9:01 AM
Bought my Mossberg 500 there, asked for the sale price even though the sale was over, and got it. Also bought my Yugo 59/66, Turkish Mauser, and Enfield there. I even bought one of the infamous CASAR AK's there, and I must have got one of the few good ones.

MudCamper
04-29-2012, 9:26 AM
Yes, absolutely. Every firearm purchase I've made at a Big5 has been positive - much more so than most gun stores. The sales people have been casual, friendly, helpful, and really quick with the paperwork. Plus they only charge $25 for DROS. They don't add any BS fees.

rimfire78
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Make sure you give it the once-over-twice before committing.

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 10:12 AM
If the price is right, why not?
Ultimately comes from the same place.

totally agree. I got some pretty good deals there. i take that back, unbelievable good deals there. But that's really once in a half moon. you have to check for there once in a great a5s while sales. sometimes they only last 2 days

jaebunz
04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I bought my Marlin from them, but recently I bought a Mossberg pump and they didn't fill out the paperwork correctly during pick up. Apparently of the forms needed a signature and date. I had to drive 30 miles in traffic and back. I asked them how they were going to make it right since it was their fault for not checking if all the documentation was filled out in full. They gave me a $10.00 gift card... that didn't even cover the gas money I spent to get there

deadcoyote
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd buy a new rifle like an H&R single shot or an 870 etc. I would not buy a C&R from them. They're stuff is low grade and over priced. Jusy my two cents.

d33pt
04-29-2012, 10:56 AM
i got my mosin and savage 64 there. for $100, i got a hex mosin that was in great condition. can't beat that.