PDA

View Full Version : AK Pistol receiver question

smokeie
02-22-2012, 1:00 AM
Hello all, this is my first post and I'm looking to NOT get in legal trouble with this. My question deals with having an AK pistol built, I've searched the forums and I cannot find a definitive answer to my question and that is; If a gunsmith offers to build me a AK pistol, what receiver must you use in order for a build to be legal? Specifically can you use a Nodak NDS-3 marked with a serial number and 7.62x39 after they DROSs it to me as a long gun for the build? In this case the receiver would not say "pistol". I understand the single shot/sled and bullet button requirements but am unclear on the receiver requirements. I appreciate any advice you could share with me on this and apologize for this post if this question has been answered before.

chillincody
02-22-2012, 1:13 AM
Rule #1 pistols can never be a rifle in its life
you or your gunsmith (if he is legally allowed to) would need to bend and make your own rec. from a flat from what I understand some one will correct me if im wrong .

smokeie
02-22-2012, 5:12 AM
Rule #1 pistols can never be a rifle in its life
you or your gunsmith (if he is legally allowed to) would need to bend and make your own rec. from a flat from what I understand some one will correct me if im wrong .

This is a brand new receiver straight from Nodak and would be DROS to me from him as an FFL.

Purple K
02-22-2012, 7:40 AM
It must be DROS'd to you as a pistol using a Single Shot Exemption.

chillincody
02-22-2012, 7:47 AM
This is a brand new receiver straight from Nodak and would be DROS to me from him as an FFL.

yes but from what i understand he must be a 07 ffl to change it from a rifle rec to pistol via single shot exemption . your average gun shop is only 01ffl normally , someone with a lil more knowledge will chime in and correct me but thats how i understand our confusing laws lol

smokeie
02-22-2012, 8:58 AM
So, and forgive my ignorance here, the other threads gave me the impression that when you "personally build" a AK pistol by using a receiver flat, the pistol does not have to be registered as a pistol (provided it's build to spec; single shot, only build one ect.) because it it doesn't say "rifle"?

However a gunsmith can not take a receiver that doesn't say "rifle" (It's my understanding that Nodak NDS-3's are marked just with a serial number and 7.62x39) that has been DROS'd as a long gun and then build it up as a pistol, because that Nodak receiver must be first be DROS'd to me as a pistol using a Single Shot Exemption by a class 07 ffl?

Just trying to be clear, I'd really rather not spend years in prison for possessing a SBR.

CHS
02-22-2012, 9:58 AM
yes but from what i understand he must be a 07 ffl to change it from a rifle rec to pistol via single shot exemption . your average gun shop is only 01ffl normally , someone with a lil more knowledge will chime in and correct me but thats how i understand our confusing laws lol

There is no such thing as a "rifle receiver".

Receivers are receivers. They are Title 1 "other" firearms. They can be built into rifles, pistols, shotguns, or other "others".

So, and forgive my ignorance here, the other threads gave me the impression that when you "personally build" a AK pistol by using a receiver flat, the pistol does not have to be registered as a pistol (provided it's build to spec; single shot, only build one ect.) because it it doesn't say "rifle"?

It doesn't have to be registered as a pistol because there is no law requiring that you register home-built pistols. It has nothing to do with it possibly being a rifle or not. Rifles have nothing to do with this.

However a gunsmith can not take a receiver that doesn't say "rifle" (It's my understanding that Nodak NDS-3's are marked just with a serial number and 7.62x39) that has been DROS'd as a long gun and then build it up as a pistol, because that Nodak receiver must be first be DROS'd to me as a pistol using a Single Shot Exemption by a class 07 ffl?

Technically, the receiver CAN say rifle. As long as it was transferred as a receiver, it's still a receiver no matter what it says on it. This is why "pistol"-marked receivers are worthless in the eyes of the law. Granted, it's a bad idea to take a receiver marked "rifle" and build a pistol out of it. It's legal, but a stupid idea.

If your FFL is an 07, he can take an NDS-3, build it into an AK-pistol, and then transfer it to you once it has been rendered roster-exempt through the single-shot exemption.

smokeie
02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
If your FFL is an 07, he can take an NDS-3, build it into an AK-pistol, and then transfer it to you once it has been rendered roster-exempt through the single-shot exemption.

You confirmed my initial understanding of the "home build" and "rifle receiver" issues thanks! :) Basically as long as I am in line with your above quote the only other two points that I need to ensure here is that:

A) The the gunsmith that is building the pistol is indeed a class 07 FFL

B) That the class 07 FFL then has it registered with California it to me as a pistol. (because technically it's not a "home build")

CHS
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
A) The the gunsmith that is building the pistol is indeed a class 07 FFL

Correct. He's not technically a gunsmith, he's a manufacturer. But in this case it's close enough.

B) That the class 07 FFL then has it registered with California it to me as a pistol. (because technically it's not a "home build")

Right. And that would be accomplished by the DROS process where he transfers it to you as a pistol.

If you can find an FFL who will do this, the proper way would be to:

1.) Purchase your parts kit and receiver, having them delivered to the FFL.
2.) The FFL assembles your kit on your receiver, manufacturing a pistol.
3.) The FFL then makes any neccesary modifications to bring the pistol in line with the single-shot roster exemption (barrel extension if needed, mag lock, single-shot sled, disabling gas system, etc etc).
4.) You can now walk in and have the pistol DROS'ed to you as a single-shot roster-exempt AK pistol.
5.) Pick it up 10 days later. Un-do the single-shot modifications when you like.

smokeie
02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Excellent, that's something I understand. Thanks! :)

SJgunguy24
02-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I get people asking me this all the time. CHS is 100% correct, if the receiver is already in your possession then it can only be built up as a rifle. If you really want an AK pistol on a 100% receiver then get a kit, take it to your 07 FFL and order a receiver to build that up with. DROS and 10 days later enjoy.

There are a couple ways to work around that but I will not discuss that here. It's gets complicated and can cost more money then it's worth, but it can be a nice way to stick it to the man.

chillincody
02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks CHS thats kinda where i was going with it but guss reading my post should of clarified a bit more

ke6guj
02-22-2012, 1:21 PM
There are a couple ways to work around that but I will not discuss that here. It's gets complicated and can cost more money then it's worth, but it can be a nice way to stick it to the man.
one being setting up an NFA trust and spending $200 for an AOW tax stamp before you assemble it as a AOW:43: