PDA

View Full Version : What actually happens during the 10 day wait?

jvpark
02-22-2012, 12:46 AM
What happens during the 10 day waiting period?
I'm assuming there is a background check on the buyer but is there the same for the seller or does the ATF also check the status (ownership of the Handgun or Rifle?) of the firearm being transferred? Does the process actually take the full 10 days?
Is the process to create a cool down period so someone does not do something irrational?

tenpercentfirearms
02-22-2012, 5:44 AM
What happens during the 10 day waiting period?
I'm assuming there is a background check on the buyer but is there the same for the seller or does the ATF also check the status (ownership of the Handgun or Rifle?) of the firearm being transferred? Does the process actually take the full 10 days?
Is the process to create a cool down period so someone does not do something irrational?

The CA DOJ checks the buyer's background. It really should only take 20 minutes, but they have also turned it into a cooling off period and they might do a few more checks than that feds do.

The seller is only checked in a PPT and only if the buyer is denied for some reason.

We usually hear back from the DOJ on a denial after 2-6 days.

therealnickb
02-22-2012, 6:59 AM
They hope your neighbors dog will stop talking to you.

Infiniti87
02-22-2012, 7:12 AM
They sit back and watch us wait impatiently for our beloved firearms while they laugh for 10 days.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.