PDA

View Full Version : GOING CCW in Vegas P229 .40 or SA LW Champion Operator

650bail
02-22-2012, 1:45 AM
I'm moving to Vegas and obviously going to CCW. I already shoot a 226 9mm and love it and I m used to shooting Sigs but my first pistol and love was a 70s series mkIV Colt.
From a firepower perspective the .40p 229 elite will have the SA beat cold in capacity but the .45...well its a .45 AND the LW Champion Operator has all the goodies I want: night sights with white outlines which Sigs could really use.. a rail for a weapon light and a Sig Esque look that turns me on. I doubt I'd CCW with a weapon light anyway but I like rails... Your thoughts? Thanks

Quiet
02-22-2012, 2:37 AM
Why not both and alternate depending on weather/clothing options.

When I'm in NV/AZ, I'm usually carrying...
... my Kel-Tec P-32 in a Desantis pocket holster.
... my Glock 39 in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck IWB hoslter.
... my Glock 30 in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck IWB holster.
... my S&W Model 325PD in a Galco high-ride OWB holster.
... my Draco in a 5.11 Select-Carry Pack.
... a combination of two to three of the above.

high_lander
02-22-2012, 5:45 AM
Just make sure you list what weapons you want to carry, the NV permits has each weapon and SN on it. When you shoot your qual, use a semi auto.

Quiet
02-22-2012, 7:07 AM
Just make sure you list what weapons you want to carry, the NV permits has each weapon and SN on it. When you shoot your qual, use a semi auto.

Not anymore.

NV CCW change that went into effect on 10-01-2011.

Two categories.
1. Semiautomatic firearm
2. Revolver

Qualify with one revolver can carry any.
Qualify with one semiautomatic firearm can carry any.

NV CFP issued after 10-01-2011 use the two category system and handguns are no longer listed on the NV CFP.

People who have a valid NV CFP prior to the change are "grandfathered in" under the new system.
So, if you have at least one revolver listed, you can now carry any revolver and if you have at least one semiautomatic firearm listed, you can now carry any semiautomatic firearm.

In addition, NV residents with a valid NV CFP issued after 07-01-2011 are exempt from the NICS check/fee when acquiring a firearm from a NV FFL dealer.

davbog44
02-22-2012, 7:12 AM
Personally I would choose (and in fact have chosen for carry for myself) the P229, but they really are different enough pistols that you'll have to go with what really appeals to you.

FWIW and along the lines of what was mentioned above, you might want both, and if not, at least have, qualify with and get on your permit more than one weapon.

It is possible at some point down the road that your carry gun (even a SIG) might need to go to a gunsmith or something, so having at least one alternate is just sound preparedness IMO. Plus it's an excuse to buy TWO guns! :)

650bail
02-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Agreed. Probably the only other gun Id consider is the M&P 40c but generally I dont like polymer guns ESP Glocks and wont buy a sub compact till have at least some rendition of a 1911. Draco in a duffel bag?!!! AWESOME!

650bail
02-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Any reason on a modern 1911 that I should not go with an alloy framed 1911? I doubt the commander frames of 25 years ago were made of forged billets which is where most of the bad talking emanated from that I recall

Heiko
02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Two of my carry guns consist of a Springfield Loaded Champion Lightweight (non-Operator version) and a USP Compact .40. I think these compare to the two options you present. I prefer the Champion for a variety of reasons. It is thinner than the USP so for IWB carry is more comfortable. The 8 rounds of .45ACP weigh less than the 13 rounds of .40 so there is less weight in the grip with the 1911 and because of that, I feel that the 1911 is more comfortable even OWB because my USP grip tends to weigh me down more. I always wear a proper gun belt like a Wilderness Tactical reinforced instructor's belt.

Aside from carry comfort, I feel that I shoot the Champion better so that is perhaps a more important factor. Luckily for you, you can have both.

kingkev
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Out of curiosity, I tried IWB'ing my P229 and found it quite heavy and a bit too substantial for comfortable CCW. If you're looking for a Sig'esque pistol, have you considered FNH or a polymer Sig?

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I prefer Sig in almost every catagory as a service pistol but CCW is another story.

Granted I dont know the weight of that 1911, but if you confident in the SA trigger system, and its reliable, I'd go with that. Its flat and looks like a 4 inch barrel? Its preferable. Lighter and you still get a good .45 slug to use.

P229 is to heavy for CCW use, at-least it would be for me and I'm sure most of us on here. I'd much rather have a P239 or even that new P224.

650bail
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
It's a commander sized frame 4.25 not sure of weight.

Sturnovik
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Well it will be thinner and its single stack. You'll take a loss with rounds, but honestly you'll probably end up carrying it alot more if its lighter and I'd think it is. Sigs are heavy. For a holster in the open thats one thing, but not CCW.

Sunday
02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
The most important thing to consider is that size matters. A J frame or a small 9mm semi auto will almost seem to disappear when carrying. There are so many people with CCW that go mall ninja and carry a double stack hi cap 9mm or full size or compact 1911 to only after a period of time will downsize for the ease of carry. Also remember that if you use the gun in self defense the gun may go into the evidence locker so would you want your $1500.00 1911 or a $400.00 to $600.00 for a revolver or a plastic semi to be locked up?