PDA

View Full Version : 1911 smith in/near san diego?

jonjonkills101
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
so ive had my RIA 1911 for about 8 months and have about 1200 rounds through it. i love 1911s but this one would have its share of malfunctions (mainly FTF round stuck on the feedramp) i have tried swapping followers, and different mags up to wilson combats, lightly polishing the ramp, and switching out recoil springs and still have the same problems. (with standard ball ammo)

so i decided to try and get a better picture and measure feed ramp angles of my dads springfield 1911. i searched and it seems the optimum angle is 31.5 degrees +/- 5. i measured about 32 degrees with a makeshift rig so it seems spot on. when i did the same measurement with my RIA, it measured about 27 degrees, so it is a much steeper ramp compared to the springfield which is in spec.

i was just wondering if any san diego calgunners know of a good smith that can work on 1911s or even maybe an enthusiast with the right tools to alter the angle of the ramp? if i can't find anybody, im going to hit up arnel or ivan at rock island to see about shipping the gun over there.

thanks

modls7
02-22-2012, 8:14 AM
Ask JoJo Vidanes of JV Dynamics in Corona. I called up for some reliability work and his quotes were inexpensive and FAST.

Flintlock Tom
02-22-2012, 8:47 AM
Don Gussler, in Santee, is a good all-around smith. 619-258-2543. (Closed on Wednesday)

gun toting monkeyboy
02-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Dave up at Cal Customs in Fallbrook. (760)728-5230 They are open Wed-Sat. He is a retired USMC armorer, and knows 1911s backwards and forwards.

-Mb

jonjonkills101
02-22-2012, 2:03 PM
Thanks guys I'll give those guys a call and see what's up...

jonjonkills101
02-22-2012, 2:40 PM
update*...totally overlooked the fact that i have a lifetime warranty and called rock island and even though i lightly polished the feed ramp, there is a chance it will still be honored. so its worth a shot

now i just have to figure out an FFL to ship for me or maybe us UPS or something. time to research my best/cheapest option to ship it over there...

mikaarce
02-22-2012, 3:44 PM
Overnight it with ups, not at regular stores, should be main office of sorts

c good
02-22-2012, 6:42 PM
Hugo at Duncan's in San Marcos. Top notch smithy. 760-727-0515

tankerman
02-22-2012, 9:59 PM
update*...totally overlooked the fact that i have a lifetime warranty and called rock island and even though i lightly polished the feed ramp, there is a chance it will still be honored. so its worth a shot

now i just have to figure out an FFL to ship for me or maybe us UPS or something. time to research my best/cheapest option to ship it over there...

There is no cheap shipping option for handguns.
You'll end up paying for shipping both ways and maybe any work they do too.

Shipping wil end up costing you the price of a new aftermarket barrel.

It'll be cheaper to take it to a local reputable gunsmith. What you're wanting done is not difficult and shouldn't cost much, assuming you're just wanting work on the feed-ramp.

You might just want to do it yourself.

jonjonkills101
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
There is no cheap shipping option for handguns.
You'll end up paying for shipping both ways and maybe any work they do too.

Shipping wil end up costing you the price of a new aftermarket barrel.

It'll be cheaper to take it to a local reputable gunsmith. What you're wanting done is not difficult and shouldn't cost much, assuming you're just wanting work on the feed-ramp.

You might just want to do it yourself.

yeah thats what im afraid of...im still gonna give them a call and see the exact details of the warranty, (1911forums seem to praise rock island for their warranty work) but if it seems too risky, i'll look into some of the shops you guys suggested, it should not be too bad labor-wise. i mean i'd give it a go if i had remotely the right set of tools haha

thanks again for everyones input. at least i have a plan now