PDA

View Full Version : Buying my dad a birthday gift

xpertpredator
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
So my father's birthday is next month and I have found myself planning on purchasing him a Rock Island Arms 1911 GI. All my life he has said he wants a colt 1911, but me being a broke college student I can't provide that for him. The thing is I have a sig 2022 in jail right now till the 27th. His birthday is the 14th of march and from my understanding of the 1 handgun per 30 day rule I won't be able to dros it until the 17th, which is fine. The problem is that I want to have the slide engraved with his rank, and seabee emblem as he just retired from the Navy after 20+ years of service. I was wondering if it is possible to dros the gun on the 17th of March but take the slide and maybe the grips home with me so I can send it off to be engraved. My ultimate goal is try and give him the gun by the end of March. I am probably gonna send it off to this guy http://www.zipgraver.com/. I called him and he seemed friendly, and his work looks good. I will most likely purchase from cal arms if I can't get it on Ammo Bros. Do you guys know if I could take the slide and grips home with me while the frame is drosed? I did some research but basically have gotten different situations like PPT or it depends on the gun shop. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

winnre
02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Just me thinking, but if he wants a colt, get him a colt.

xpertpredator
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Just me thinking, but if he wants a colt, get him a colt.

The ones I have seen have been a bit out of my price range. If I could afford it I would, but my budget will only allow the RIA 1911 GI. I think he will still love it, especially with the slide engraved.

xpertpredator
02-22-2012, 9:45 PM
anyone?

winnre
02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay I'll say it.

It is NOT out of your price range, you just have different priorities.

You admit to getting yourself a Sig 2022, right around the time to shop for birthday presents for Dad. The sad part is that it is about the price difference between a RIA and a Colt.

A quick online search finds:
SIG2022: $387
RIA1911: $449
----------------
TOTAL..: $836

COLT 1911: $868.

Plus the 30-day wait and an extra DROS fee.

If you opt for the RIA do NOT show your dad your SIG. It'll hurt that he will find that you mean so little to him.

If I were you I'd cancel the sale on the SIG, take a store credit for the COLT and do it right. You only have one dad.

Ponderosa2
02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Okay I'll say it.

You admit to getting yourself a Sig 2022, right around the time to shop for birthday presents for Dad. The sad part is that it is about the price difference between a RIA and a Colt.

----------------

If you opt for the RIA do NOT show your dad your SIG. It'll hurt that he will find that you mean so little to him.

If I were you I'd cancel the sale on the SIG, take a store credit for the COLT and do it right. You only have one dad.

Tough love..... But true. Well said.

disturbed1
02-23-2012, 7:26 PM
ownage!

amtz.zero
02-23-2012, 7:40 PM
I would be happy with the RIA. I say get it! :)

Aspec5vz
02-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Get him what he really wants. Sure he'll probably love the RIA as a gun but if you get him something he's always wanted, that gift will have much more sentimental value to it. If you have too, get him the Colt as a Xmas present and buy him something different for his birthday.

xpertpredator
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Okay I'll say it.

----------------

First off how dare you question my priorities. I have had the sig on layaway for 2 months trying to pay it off. I don't exactly make a lot. My dad is the one who encouraged me to purchase it. Secondly, I just thought of the idea of getting him a 1911, and the only reason he wants a colt is because his dad had one and handed it down to his brother and not him. My father means a lot to me hence why I want to get him one in the first place. I think a personalized engraved RIA from his son will mean a lot more than a colt. Why remind him of that colt when I can hopefully establish a new memory for him. So before you ridicule me for my decisions please be conscious that you do not know the entire story. I really expected better from a fellow Calgunner.

Also, can we please get back on topic and have someone answer my question.

xpertpredator
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I must also add that I believe my dad would much rather shoot along side with me him with his 1911 and me with his sig, rather than him having the 1911 and we share.

Ponderosa2
02-23-2012, 10:33 PM
You did say "he wants......but I can't provide." I think winnre was just pointing out that it was possible. Maybe you should have left out the part about the Colt....... Just saying.

sephy
02-23-2012, 10:37 PM
So my father's birthday is next month and I have found myself planning on purchasing him a Rock Island Arms 1911 GI. All my life he has said he wants a colt 1911, but me being a broke college student I can't provide that for him. The thing is I have a sig 2022 in jail right now till the 27th. His birthday is the 14th of march and from my understanding of the 1 handgun per 30 day rule I won't be able to dros it until the 17th, which is fine. The problem is that I want to have the slide engraved with his rank, and seabee emblem as he just retired from the Navy after 20+ years of service. I was wondering if it is possible to dros the gun on the 17th of March but take the slide and maybe the grips home with me so I can send it off to be engraved. My ultimate goal is try and give him the gun by the end of March. I am probably gonna send it off to this guy http://www.zipgraver.com/. I called him and he seemed friendly, and his work looks good. I will most likely purchase from cal arms if I can't get it on Ammo Bros. Do you guys know if I could take the slide and grips home with me while the frame is drosed? I did some research but basically have gotten different situations like PPT or it depends on the gun shop. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

That's a very good question. I know I've sold AR's and had the buyer take the upper and case home while DROSing the lower. But for that there is no safety demonstration at the end. I think if you went in and explained your situation at a shop you may find one that will allow it. If not then just explain to your dad that you have something good coming. I'm sure he can hold out a few more days.

xpertpredator
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
That's a very good question. I know I've sold AR's and had the buyer take the upper and case home while DROSing the lower. But for that there is no safety demonstration at the end. I think if you went in and explained your situation at a shop you may find one that will allow it. If not then just explain to your dad that you have something good coming. I'm sure he can hold out a few more days.

I think that is what I am going to have to do. I am going to go buy it tomorrow if I receive my income tax money. My main concern is shipping the slide and getting it back in time. I would have no problem bringing the slide back in when I have to pick it up for demonstration. The engraver said it will take 1 to 3 days to engrave, but I have to factor in shipping. I guess I will just have to ask and hope for the best.

winnre
02-26-2012, 12:38 AM
First off how dare you question my priorities.

There is no question about your priorities. You want to have the Sig more than you want your dad to have the Colt.

Or get him a gift cert for the amount of the RIA to go towards the Colt and maybe he will be able to buy the rest of it. Then you have no 30-day issue either since Dad will DROS it.

But to answer your question, you will likely have to pay 100% on any gun you plan to modify and it will likely be non-refundable and the warranty may be voided since you will alter it.