PDA

View Full Version : Question about 2nd form of identification for handgun

authorization66
02-21-2012, 4:25 PM
hi all,
I have an HSC and a driver's license however I live in a large house (without a lease agreement). The utility bills are not in my name, they're in my roommates' names.

What forms of secondary ID will do?

Thanks!

weekend_plinker
02-21-2012, 4:27 PM
Dmv car or motorcycle Registration

authorization66
02-21-2012, 4:37 PM
Dmv car or motorcycle RegistrationThanks, but currently have vehicle registered under father's name.

I'll just request an official lease from my landlord. Or is an informal agreement (signed by both parties) good enough?

littlejake
02-22-2012, 7:57 AM
Some will accept other "government issued" licenses that have your address (must match your DL address.)

I recently had a gun store clerk who wanted to know if I had the original for my auto registration (I always carry a copy). Never been an issue before -- so, I presented my guard license and he photocopied that too.

BTW -- there's nothing wrong with presenting a copy of your registration.

For the OP, the lease agreement has worked in the past for other people. You might consider having your name added as a second person on a utility bill.

The 2nd form of proof of residency for a handgun is the law -- but it's a B.S. law. The DL should be good enough.

waylonrobert
02-22-2012, 3:50 PM
When I purchased my XD40 last Saturday, all I had to show was my CDL and my car registration. My CDL didn't have a current address, but all I needed was my vehicle registration. Does your vehicle registration have your name on it at all, or is it just your father's name? Do you have a passport?

littlejake
02-23-2012, 7:27 AM
When I purchased my XD40 last Saturday, all I had to show was my CDL and my car registration. My CDL didn't have a current address, but all I needed was my vehicle registration. Does your vehicle registration have your name on it at all, or is it just your father's name? Do you have a passport?

Passport is only useful for showing citizenship -- it doesn't have an address on it.

A-J
02-23-2012, 8:54 AM
Your best bet is to ask at the gun store where you will be purchasing.

sephy
02-23-2012, 9:49 AM

That will work with some shops, but some freak out about an incorrect dl address. OP: Talk you your shop. I know River City here in Sac has a 1-page proof of residency form that you and whoever you live with can fill out.

Another option is going down to the DMV and have them print your record. If you changed your address it will show on there. This option costs money though.

MyGlock17
02-23-2012, 9:56 AM
Get a residential lease agreement...

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 9:57 AM
That will work with some shops, but some freak out about an incorrect dl address. OP: Talk you your shop. I know River City here in Sac has a 1-page proof of residency form that you and whoever you live with can fill out.

Another option is going down to the DMV and have them print your record. If you changed your address it will show on there. This option costs money though.

Yea always good to talk to the shop.

A DMV correction paper and your last Tax return does count.

Chrushev
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
W2 or any other type of Tax paper that shows that you are paying taxes to CA works.

I am in the same situation as you. Car registered under my father, dont have any electricity or gas bills in my name. The guy at the gun store pulled out some sort of manual and read off things that would work for me.. he said bills other than utility wont work because they are not tied to an address... in other words.. insurance bill goes wiht you when you move. While a utility bill for a specific address stays there.

But anyways.. W2 was one of the things that work. And right now is the season for W2's with tax season :)

A-J
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
he said bills other than utility wont work because they are not tied to an address... in other words.. insurance bill goes wiht you when you move. While a utility bill for a specific address stays there.

What's sad is that, if you really think about that, it should work, since it goes with you when you move.

To the OP - I forgot in my oiriginal reply that one of the vendors on this site made up a nice long list of acceptable items. I don't recall who it was but they had "ten" in their name IIRC>

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 4:07 PM
W2 or any other type of Tax paper that shows that you are paying taxes to CA works.

I am in the same situation as you. Car registered under my father, dont have any electricity or gas bills in my name. The guy at the gun store pulled out some sort of manual and read off things that would work for me.. he said bills other than utility wont work because they are not tied to an address... in other words.. insurance bill goes wiht you when you move. While a utility bill for a specific address stays there.

But anyways.. W2 was one of the things that work. And right now is the season for W2's with tax season :)

Indeed. +1.

segfault
02-23-2012, 4:08 PM
What about a credit card or bank account statement? Or your last paycheck? I know they move with you but the criteria is to just provide a recent form of identification. Car registrations are often not updated but bank statements and paychecks should be considered up to date. Direct deposit paychecks still contain your address in the statement.

acegunnr
02-23-2012, 4:12 PM
I had a gun store recently turn down my car registration renewal bill. :(

Sturnovik
02-23-2012, 4:16 PM
What about a credit card or bank account statement? Or your last paycheck? I know they move with you but the criteria is to just provide a recent form of identification. Car registrations are often not updated but bank statements and paychecks should be considered up to date. Direct deposit paychecks still contain your address in the statement.

I almost sure paychecks and bank statements dont work. In fact a few years back I thought thats all I needed for my 870 and he said sorry budd, I need something different.

In any case, I dont have my home address but PO box on my DL, so I had to change it online and show the printed copy that it changed. The Tax return is the second (eh I'm out of it, if I'm forgetting something remind me).

1)DL, showing your face name etc......
2)DMV change of address confirmation and/or printed from account as recently as possible. (makes up for not having normal address on the DL).
3) Tax statement.

That said, ASK your shop before you commit or put money down. Its their store and there rules. He/she might just say I dont take this or that and I dont care if its on the DOJ or approved. Always good to know before hand. Not worth the hassle.