PDA

View Full Version : Original seller necessary for Re-DROS after 30 day period?

kwansao
02-21-2012, 2:17 PM
Hi Guys, I hope someone can help me out with an informed opinion. I need to re-DROS three firearms at an out of town shop. It is a bit of an ordeal getting down there and to avoid wasing a day or two driving to fresno,

basically I need to know if the orignal seller's presence is necessary for when I Re-Dros these weapons. I am not a prohibited person, I was simply unable to pick them up during the first 30 day period for the dros when i purchased the firearms (through a ppt)

thanks... :cool2:

explorerdude
02-21-2012, 3:08 PM
I would say yes, since after that 30th day, that DROS is invalid; therefore the seller would have to sign the NEW DROS...

kwansao
02-21-2012, 3:21 PM
Explorerdude, are you an FFL? not to try to invalidate your input, but I would like to make sure for the sake of saving time and not wasting an entire day driving.

explorerdude
02-21-2012, 3:40 PM
If you would like to double check, ten percent has a lot of info, he always answers a lot of questions here on the FFL forum.

kemasa
02-21-2012, 3:48 PM
I am a FFL and I did not know the answer as that had never happened to me, so I called the CA DOJ. The person who answered did not know, so he had to ask someone else. The answer is that since the original DROS has the seller's signature (like a DROS worksheet), the second DROS does not need the seller's signature, but the original DROS should be attached to the new DROS.

That is not to say that the FFL will agree, but they should be able to call the CA DOJ and get the same answer. Mentioning treating the original as a DROS worksheet might also help convince the FFL that it is acceptable. I would call the FFL before going there though. It is possible that the FFL could have returned the firearms to the seller.

kwansao
02-21-2012, 4:24 PM
thank you!! unfortunately it's not possible to reach the FFL at this time. anyone else have experiences doing this?

halifax
02-21-2012, 5:06 PM
Treating the first DROS like a worksheet is the first thing that crossed my mind also.

PlacerTactical
02-21-2012, 5:42 PM
Treating the first DROS like a worksheet is the first thing that crossed my mind also.

My thoughts too.

tenpercentfirearms
02-22-2012, 5:49 AM
I never thought of attaching the old DROS before. I would have just said, "Nope, bring the guy in again or have him swing by".

However, I doubt the DOJ is going to care if you made a copy of the old DROS (I wouldn't attach the original to this DROS because it is in its own packet already filed away) and attached it to the new DROS and just left the seller's signature blank.

That sounds like a good solution for everyone.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
+1 on using the old DROS in lieu of a DROS worksheet. This would have been my first assumption and I'm glad to hear it was verified as ok by DOJ. If the FFL balks, direct him to this thread so he can see what his (well informed) counterparts are doing.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650)969-GUNS

kwansao
02-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Good to know. I will do my best. Thank you everyone.

kwansao
02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
They didn't want to do it without the original seller present. I asked if we could treat the form as a worksheet, I asked if the seller could come in at a later time, and neither option was acceptable to them. Luckily I was able to get ahold of the seller on short notice and he signed the paperwork.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
FFL fail.

If DOJ says its ok, it's ok.

Glad it worked out.

kwansao
02-29-2012, 1:04 PM
Big fail actually. Epic, hair pulling, screaming out loud, fail.

tenpercentfirearms
02-29-2012, 1:27 PM
FFL fail.

If DOJ says its ok, it's ok.

Glad it worked out.

I would not be so quick to blame the FFL. Just because the DOJ says you can do it over the phone is no guarantee against them writing you up for it later. I do not blame FFLs for being cautious on these gray areas especially when it is the customer's fault they didn't get in to the shop in time to pick up their firearms. The customer's inconvenience perpetrated by the customer is not worth me losing my business over.

It is just one of those things that some FFLs might do it and others might not. I think an FFL is justified in stepping lightly in this case.

oldsmoboat
02-29-2012, 3:35 PM
Big fail actually. Epic, hair pulling, screaming out loud, fail.
Did you pay the $10,000 or whatever it is they were asking?

keenkeen
02-29-2012, 6:20 PM
Did you pay the $10,000 or whatever it is they were asking?

Come on man! Stop making things up...it was only $5,000!

:p

kwansao
04-13-2012, 3:39 PM
No. I didnt have them shipped.