PDA

View Full Version : Importing a gifted XDm from Mother in Ohio

warkaj
02-21-2012, 8:57 AM
So Mom bought me a Springfield .45 XDm in Ohio recently for my birthday... she wants to mail it to me here but I said I am not sure I can even have it here since it's non-rostered and California is about stupid on gun laws.... then I hear you can have non-rostered handguns interfamily transferred and I'd have to DROS it here obviously.

so anyone have an idea on this? asked and answered already? Does she need to come all the way here to transfer it to me or can I have her mail it from her gun shop to my gun shop? Obviously, I will never be able to sell it here in California but oh well... Im still stoked Mom bought me a new .45 for my b-day :)

SJgunguy24
02-21-2012, 9:11 AM
She can ship it, she needs to include a letter stating that it's a gift to you from her and it'll need to be entered in the DROS system under the interfamilial exemption.

keenkeen
02-21-2012, 9:16 AM
So Mom bought me a Springfield .45 XDm in Ohio recently for my birthday... she wants to mail it to me here but I said I am not sure I can even have it here since it's non-rostered and California is about stupid on gun laws.... then I hear you can have non-rostered handguns interfamily transferred and I'd have to DROS it here obviously.

so anyone have an idea on this? asked and answered already? Does she need to come all the way here to transfer it to me or can I have her mail it from her gun shop to my gun shop? Obviously, I will never be able to sell it here in California but oh well... Im still stoked Mom bought me a new .45 for my b-day :)

Good news on this...once you get it here an in your name you can sell it at any point. The Roster does not apply to PPT sales in CA.

She has to ship it to an FFL-

The FFL has to be one that understands the rules for this type of transfers and agrees to do it- Call around.

As stated above you will need a letter stating it's gift and that she is your Mom.

warkaj
02-21-2012, 9:17 AM
Thanks! I'll let her know, her gun shop there had no idea and basically said "heck I didn't know California still permitted guns out there, haha"... they're not far off but oh well that's how the rest of America thinks of us.

I'll talk with my gun shop today and see about the procedure as well and update if I find anything out of the ordinary from what you said. I figured the letter and ship would be fine.... just asking :)

warkaj
02-21-2012, 9:18 AM
Good news on this...once you get it here an in your name you can sell it at any point. The Roster does not apply to PPT sales in CA.

Well ... then ... anyone wanna buy a XDm .45? lol

Mssr. Eleganté
02-21-2012, 9:19 AM
One thing to remember, your mom can't send assembled "large capacity" (over 10 round) magazines to you in California.

warkaj
02-21-2012, 9:22 AM
One thing to remember, your mom can't send assembled "large capacity" (over 10 round) magazines to you in California.

Oh...... of course she can't.... but 'repair kits' on the other hand.

warkaj
02-21-2012, 9:46 AM
Now, can I do that with anything other than handguns? Say grandpa wants to gift me his german MG42 he brought back from WWII? lol

sd_fox_racer
02-21-2012, 3:55 PM
Well ... then ... anyone wanna buy a XDm .45? lol

just curious....how much and what size is it? bi tone?

al8550
02-21-2012, 6:03 PM

You could sell it as a PPT, once here in CA.

Quiet
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh...... of course she can't.... but 'repair kits' on the other hand.

It will need to be shipped with at least one working permantely altered 10 round magazine.

The mandatory safe handling demonstration requires a working magazine, the safe handling demonstration needs to be done before a CA FFL dealer can legally release the handgun to you. [PC 26850(a)]

77bawls
02-22-2012, 1:01 AM
It will need to be shipped with at least one working permantely altered 10 round magazine.

The mandatory safe handling demonstration requires a working magazine, the safe handling demonstration needs to be done before a CA FFL dealer can legally release the handgun to you. [PC 26850(a)]

Interesting, I've never had that happen.

Seesm
02-22-2012, 1:04 AM
OP I can make your mags 10 rounds fairly easily... PM me if you need me to help you..

Quiet
02-22-2012, 1:19 AM
Interesting, I've never had that happen.

Persons who are exempt from the HSC requirement are also exempt from the safe handgun demonstration.

If you are not an exempt person and the CA FFL dealer did not make you do this it's a violation that they've committed and it can result in them losing their FFL. The CA FFL dealer should have made you sign an affidavitt stating you performed the safe handgun demonstration. If you signed it without performing it, then it's evidence of purgery on your part. If they did not make you sign it, it's proof of them violating state law which can result in them losing their FFL.

Quiet
02-22-2012, 1:29 AM
I initially read the OP's post thinking he said he was getting a .40 XDM. :o
But, it's a .45 XDM. :facepalm:

The XDM-45 uses the same magazines as the XD-45.

So, factory 10 round magazines are available for the XDM-45.
Just get the 10 round XD-45 magazines.