PDA

View Full Version : How to ship a firearm to a buyer?

Moress
02-21-2012, 2:16 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to sell a Yugo SKS, and the buyer is rather far away so he asked if I could ship. Well I've never shipped a firearm within the state, and I'm not sure how I can get the info, so here I am asking. How do I sell a firearm by shipping it to his/her ffl?

saki302
02-21-2012, 2:45 AM
Keep a copy of their FFL for your records, toss a copy in the box (I do it just in case), and ship it.

Long guns can go through USPS I belive, as well as UPS/FedEx ground. Pistols must go UPS/FedEx overnight, or an FFL (01) has to ship it USPS.

-Dave

GOEX FFF
02-21-2012, 2:57 AM
If the rifle is NOT a Curio & Relic, you need to get a signed copy of the buyer's local dealer's 01 FFL. Once you have received it you can verify the number by going here to verify the license is valid. https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Once all looks good, you may ship the rifle via USPS, UPS or FEDEX to the dealer's address on the FFL.
UPS and FEDEX requires you to tell them you are shipping a firearm.

If the Long gun IS a Curio & Relic (which in CA, has to have been made 50 years or older from the current year) and the buyer is at least 18 years of age, is another CA resident instate and you have no reason to know or believe that they are prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition, you may ship him/her the rifle directly. But before doing so, it would be prudent and wise for you to get a copy of the buyer's DL, for proof of age and residency along with a singed and dated copy of a firearm bill of sale, such as this - http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf outlining that they certify they are not prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition. Then keep it all for your records. Some don't feel kosher to ship a C&R long gun to a fellow instate CA resident non licensee. But it is perfectly legal as long as they are of age and not a prohibited person. The outline I gave above having them sign a sworn statement, is fine for peace of mind.

If they have an 03 C&R FFL, after receiving a singed copy of their license, then you may ship the C&R long gun directly to their premises address on their license, again via USPS, UPS or FEDEX.

Moress
02-21-2012, 10:55 AM
The gun is not C&R.

Can I just get his/her FFL's phone number and verify their legitimecy over the phone and just ship it straight there once I have the address?

I thought for ppt, both parties need to sign paper work, how does this work if I'm shipping?

paul0660
02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
you need to get a signed copy of the buyer's local dealer's 01 FFL.

No, you just need the FFL's license number, verify it on the ATF website, and mail to that address. And yes you can MAIL it.

It is not a PPT if you ship it.

one*eyed*jack
02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I thought some FFLs didn't accept shipments from private parties. If you didn't contact them how would you know if they would accept it?

paul0660
02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought some FFLs didn't accept shipments from private parties. If you didn't contact them how would you know if they would accept it?

Good point.

Moress
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM

That's why I would just call them myself, give them the down low and mail it to their address. :)

paul0660
02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
That's why I would just call them myself, give them the down low and mail it to their address. :)

You do need their license number to check that their license is current. I think my original point was that you don't need a copy of the license. Most FFL's won't give you a copy anyway.

Moress
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Okay, thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.

dinosauraphael
02-21-2012, 7:40 PM
Do you need to ship a non c&r gun through your ffl dealer to the buyers ffl? Or can you just bring a long gun into a ups store in a case and ship it?

GOEX FFF
02-21-2012, 9:47 PM
Do you need to ship a non c&r gun through your ffl dealer to the buyers ffl? Or can you just bring a long gun into a ups store in a case and ship it?

No, but some 01 FFL dealers have a policy of not accepting firearms from a private person. But there is no law that says the seller has to use an FFL to ship to an FFL. It's up to the discretion of the particular dealer. And if you ever ship a Firearm, make sure you always use a box and not just it's case. It's not wise to make it obvious that it's a firearm, since you don't know who the individuals are taking care of the package along it's way. An obvious package containing a firearm can be a target for theft. Even though UPS and FEDEX need to know that you're shipping a Firearm, they can't put any labels or other things disclosing it's content as such.

dinosauraphael
02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your reply!!!
No, but some 01 FFL dealers have a policy of not accepting firearms from a private person. But there is no law that says the seller has to use an FFL to ship to an FFL. It's up to the discretion of the particular dealer. And if you ever ship a Firearm, make sure you always use a box and not just it's case. It's not wise to make it obvious that it's a firearm, since you don't know who the individuals are taking care of the package along it's way. An obvious package containing a firearm can be a target for theft. Even though UPS and FEDEX need to know that you're shipping a Firearm, they can't put any labels or other things disclosing it's content as such.