PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to drive around with an unloaded rifle in its case in the backseat?

mbaerg
02-20-2012, 9:35 PM
any ideas?

mbaerg
02-20-2012, 9:38 PM
My case doesnt fit in my trunk

paul0660
02-20-2012, 9:40 PM
If your momma says it is ok, you are good to go.

I assume you asked her, right?

BassNut
02-20-2012, 9:43 PM
Yes, You are allowed to drive around with a cased UNLOADED rifle in your backseat. DO NOT have any ammo attached to it in any way though. Including a butt-stock ammo sleeve

Mssr. Eleganté
02-20-2012, 9:52 PM
If you are going to drive within 1000 feet of a school then the case needs to be locked to comply with the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law.

...DO NOT have any ammo attached to it in any way though. Including a butt-stock ammo sleeve

Only if he is a gang member or hanging out at the Capitol building or Governors mansion. See People v. Clark, (1996).

paintballergb
02-20-2012, 9:58 PM
Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

Straight from Calguns Foundation Wiki.

mbaerg
02-20-2012, 9:58 PM
Ahh I see, thanks

Capybara
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I have to be careful, I live just around the corner from a school that my wife works at. I always have all guns in locked cases when I leave the house. I have a truck so I have the guns in the backseat, it seems crazy to leave them in the bed of the truck when I drive, but what about the ammo? Is it okay to have ammo in a separate bag/case from the guns in the cab or do I have to put the ammo in the bed of the truck?

Thanks,

Dan

chillincody
02-20-2012, 10:14 PM
I have to be careful, I live just around the corner from a school that my wife works at. I always have all guns in locked cases when I leave the house. I have a truck so I have the guns in the backseat, it seems crazy to leave them in the bed of the truck when I drive, but what about the ammo? Is it okay to have ammo in a separate bag/case from the guns in the cab or do I have to put the ammo in the bed of the truck?

Thanks,

Dan

you can have ammo in the same case as your guns you said you lock the gun case so dont see a problem here

i lock my rifles up just in case in pass through a school zone or 1000 ft of k12

SocomM4
02-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Wonder if those 3 rounds tucked in someone's magpul grip are legal .

mbaerg
02-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks,

Dan

Check the CGF Wiki for transportation.. You are allowed to have ammo in the locked container with the unloaded firearm.

Librarian
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Yes, You are allowed to drive around with a cased UNLOADED rifle in your backseat. DO NOT have any ammo attached to it in any way though. Including a butt-stock ammo sleeve

Actually, that exact example is the basis of People vs Clark, 1996; it's the case that redefined 'loaded', and ammunition in a buttstock carrier is explicitly 'not loaded'.

See the wiki on loaded -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Defining_loaded_in_California

There are no transportation regulations on ammunition or proximity to guns (except actually in the gun); there are a few places where ammunition is illegal.

JagerDog
02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
For the record, F&G considers unloaded to be an empty chamber. If you're driving anywhere other than where you can hunt/shoot, best be completely empty. Shells in a butt stock carrier, etc., is NOT loaded and ammo need not be stored separated from the firearm.

xrMike
02-21-2012, 2:19 PM
If you are going to drive within 1000 feet of a school then the case needs to be locked to comply with the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law.Can a sheriff's deputy or city cop charge you with this crime, or would it have to be some kind of federal officer (since it's a federal crime)?

It's a dumb question probably, but I have to ask.