PDA

View Full Version : New "Costa Catalyst" (it's an m&p mag release)

G60
02-20-2012, 7:17 PM
21st Century Gunfighter has just released an extended magazine release for the m&p platform, with input from Chris Costa. They call it the "Costa Catalyst." I guess the name drops 10ths off your reloads or something.

I've ordered one, as I've got stubby little thumbs, and find myself switching back and forth between the S and M backstraps, and my mag release on both sides, and I still find myself shifting my grip more than I'd like to hit the mag release no matter how I have the gun set up. I'm hoping this product will allow me to keep my strong hand grip in place, otherwise, look for it in the classifieds.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/02161221stcentmagrelease059.jpg
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/x02161221stcentmagrelease021.jpg

The Virus
02-20-2012, 9:27 PM
a far better solution is to remove the ridge ramp leading up to the mag release

Sam
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I ordered some for my stable of M&Ps. If I like em, great. If I don't, oh well. I have to shift my hand just a little to reach the stock release with a large backstrap. I think the stock part is pretty good but there's no harm in trying the extended version.

Fate
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Interesting. Seems like it's hanging an awfully long way out there at first glance. Please post a range report!

Shenaniguns
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm going to pass...

Black Majik
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Looks like a great way for my left palm to release magazines unexpectedly.

Dreaded Claymore
02-21-2012, 1:03 PM
It looks like either a great aftermarket part, or a catalyst to accidental magazine releasing, but I can't tell just by looking. We eagerly await range reports! :)

civilsnake
02-21-2012, 2:50 PM
These ex-Magpul guys sure didn't waste time getting their own names on products, did they?

barca101
02-21-2012, 3:05 PM
I'll pass also. I like the way the OEM mag release on my MP9 FS feels and how its flush.

G60
02-21-2012, 3:37 PM
These ex-Magpul guys sure didn't waste time getting their own names on products, did they?

Yeah. It's good and bad for the industry as a whole. Stupid name, but it looks like a good product for people like me who can reach everything fine except the mag release.

I do think the industry is going to be saturated with crappy products with whiz-bang HSLD names on it just to make $$, I'm hoping this isn't the case here.

In other news, Daniel Defense just unveiled a new line of "muzzle climb mitigators" today. I suppose they're that much better than the crappy old compensators we've been using up to this point.

jcaoloveshine
02-21-2012, 3:39 PM
the biggest catalyst is for their bank account

in all seriousness though, i'm sure its a quality product. but the name does have a premium.

the haley skimmer trigger for the glock is $150, but ive heard it works well.

Matt P
02-21-2012, 3:59 PM
I have a Costa-Underhammer, Haley-Ruger No 1, and a CosHal-Ariska for sale. I thought I might as well jump on that cash train.................hehe

Hey G60, it would be great to see a comparison photo for us newb to the M&P series. My 10 days on my little M&P 22 has not started yet.......

G60
02-21-2012, 6:01 PM
These images give a represensation of the size difference:
Should be able to be trimmed and stippled if it's too big.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/02161221stcentmagrelease063.jpg
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/21st-century-gunfighter-mag-release/02161221stcentmagrelease059.jpg

stormvet
02-21-2012, 8:49 PM
I myself am thankfull for the magpul guys, Vickers and all the others. If not for them our almost unlimited supple of some usefull, some silly aftermarket parts would be nowhere near what it is today. The stock M&P mag release buttom works great for me. Although this part may have a silly name and a Costa tax on it, I can see how it would be usefull for some.

echang86
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I like it. But not enough to pay for the Costa price tag. I'll wait for someone to come out with a variant in a more appropriate price range.

Dreaded Claymore
02-24-2012, 2:47 PM
I myself am thankfull for the magpul guys, Vickers and all the others. If not for them our almost unlimited supple of some usefull, some silly aftermarket parts would be nowhere near what it is today.

I agree. I guess they sort of blazed the market trail for everybody else, by proving that you could make lots of money by inventing new AR-15 parts instead of just cargo-cult-engineering Colt crap. (Example of Colt cargo cult crap: there is no logical reason whatsoever that the stock AR-15 hammer is so heavy.)

beretta929mm
02-24-2012, 3:37 PM
When does M&P Gen II come out?

JockItch
02-24-2012, 6:15 PM
Ill pass! I don't just run out and buy something just because a Tool like Chris Costa is involved with the design. I refuse to run out and buy an AR or 1911 just because he slaps his name on the side.

LBDamned
02-24-2012, 6:24 PM
I concur with several others, it looks like accidental mag drop is inevitable.

Ub3rDorK
02-24-2012, 7:56 PM
forget the mag release, where do i get the grip tape without making a cut out myself?

G60
02-27-2012, 7:26 PM
I'll copy and paste my initial impressions from another forum:

"Mine arrived today, only had a few seconds to try it out on my lunch, half of which I was crawling around trying to find where a flying buffer retainer landed.

Initial impressions bring two things to mind. It works. For me. I do not have to shift my grip at all to drop a mag. I noticed I was still trying to manipulate my thumb and grip even more than I actually need to with the new mag release, being so used to having to shift it so much. (I'm not going to refer to it as the 'catalyst')
Second, it pokes out quite a bit, enough that I noticed it with the palm of my strong hand #2. I will not have a chance to get any live fire in until Friday, where I will definitely test if that might result in any accidental magazine drops while shooting. A pretty big concern right there.
I am not concerned with inadvertent release while holstered, as carry would be with the magazine release against my body, though I can see how inadvertent release while carrying may be of some concern to those who carry with mag release away from the body.

Shaving frame material looks like a great idea, but at this time I would rather not make permanent modifications to the frames on my m&p's.

I'll update when I get some live fire on Friday as to the concerns I have with being able to feel the mag release with my strong hand #2 palm."

Sam
03-01-2012, 3:38 PM
I'll copy and paste my initial impressions from another forum:

"Mine arrived today, only had a few seconds to try it out on my lunch, half of which I was crawling around trying to find where a flying buffer retainer landed.

Initial impressions bring two things to mind. It works. For me. I do not have to shift my grip at all to drop a mag. I noticed I was still trying to manipulate my thumb and grip even more than I actually need to with the new mag release, being so used to having to shift it so much. (I'm not going to refer to it as the 'catalyst')
Second, it pokes out quite a bit, enough that I noticed it with the palm of my strong hand #2. I will not have a chance to get any live fire in until Friday, where I will definitely test if that might result in any accidental magazine drops while shooting. A pretty big concern right there.
I am not concerned with inadvertent release while holstered, as carry would be with the magazine release against my body, though I can see how inadvertent release while carrying may be of some concern to those who carry with mag release away from the body.

Shaving frame material looks like a great idea, but at this time I would rather not make permanent modifications to the frames on my m&p's.

I'll update when I get some live fire on Friday as to the concerns I have with being able to feel the mag release with my strong hand #2 palm."

I installed one on one of my fullsize M&Ps and I have the same thoughts as you. It makes it easy to drop a magazine and even though I don't have to alter my grip anymore I still find myself doing it (I had to alter it just a bit with the factory part). I tried to push the extended release with my support palm using a shooting grip but couldn't. I haven't shot with it yet but the extended mag release seems like a winner.

Sam
03-01-2012, 3:39 PM
forget the mag release, where do i get the grip tape without making a cut out myself?

Talon grips.

http://talongungrips.com/

I installed a set on one of my M&Ps and they seem to work well, haven't shot with it yet though.

Ub3rDorK
03-01-2012, 8:47 PM
Awesome! I just ordered one! Thanks!