PDA

View Full Version : Hard case for rifle $0-$100?

BucDan
02-20-2012, 3:14 PM
Looking for a hard case less than $100. Is that possible?

If not, what soft cases would you guys and gals(if any) suggest?

I'm looking for a 42" case, 1 or 2 rifles and some accessories, non "im tacticool with a gun in this case look" but not so discrete like a guitar case.

I posted this in the accessories sub forum, but it is dead in there.

Thanks.

XYZ
02-20-2012, 4:30 PM
You can find a used Pelican 1700 series from time to time in the for sale section. It is worth it.

SocomM4
02-20-2012, 4:34 PM
Music shop. Lots of guitar cases work awesome and a couple band stickers and Music brands logos do great at making a gun case discreet .
Some foam and your all done.

Merc1138
02-20-2012, 5:20 PM
The missing information is, what is your idea of a hard case? There are plenty that can be had new for $30-$80 easily, but most of them aren't something that would actually take a beating.

Then of course there is the issue of bulk. Hard cases tend to be quite a bit bulkier and can't compress/fold like a soft case can to put away when they aren't actually being used.

And then there is the matter of how much protection you need. If you're just driving back and forth from the range you don't need to drop the cash on a pelican. If you're going to be flying and want something that can't be busted open as easily... you're going to want a pelican case or similar.

dwtt
02-21-2012, 4:53 AM
Music shop. Lots of guitar cases work awesome and a couple band stickers and Music brands logos do great at making a gun case discreet .
Some foam and your all done.

OP, this is the best route to take. I know from experience since I used to carry my Colt Sporter to the High Power matches in a guitar case on my motorcycle. Also, if you want to meet cute girls, riding along with a guitar case slung over your shoulder will get you smiles and waves from cute girls. They like musicians, for some reason.

CS25
02-21-2012, 7:48 AM
check ebay or amazon

Fishslayer
02-21-2012, 9:29 AM
The missing information is, what is your idea of a hard case? There are plenty that can be had new for $30-$80 easily, but most of them aren't something that would actually take a beating.

Depends on your definition of "a beating." I bought the cheapo Flambeau single rifle case at my LGS for $22-ish. No, I wouldn't want to drive over it with a loaded cement truck but I'd be comfortable chucking it down a flight of stairs or some such.

It's just for a 10/22 with a scope. If I had a BIG $$$ rifle I'd probably get something more robust.

Merc1138
02-21-2012, 9:47 AM
Depends on your definition of "a beating." I bought the cheapo Flambeau single rifle case at my LGS for $22-ish. No, I wouldn't want to drive over it with a loaded cement truck but I'd be comfortable chucking it down a flight of stairs or some such.

It's just for a 10/22 with a scope. If I had a BIG $$$ rifle I'd probably get something more robust.

Well that's exactly why I asked. The OP didn't give any information other than a price range and being a hard case. Is it going to get tossed around in a truck bed, in the trunk of a car, taken on a plane, etc. Most people can do just fine with a $30 hard case, but without knowing what the OP actually needs the case to do, the question is impossible to answer.

jemrey81
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I just ordered a $20 Plano rifle case from Walmart yesterday... Shipping was .97 so with tax it was a little over $21. It will only be used to keep my M&P 15-22 safe to and from the range, and it has a spot for a lock (I live next to a school). I figured that it is worth the $20 risk to see what it is like.

BucDan
02-22-2012, 7:23 AM
Sorry, I was caught up with Build Party stuff :D.

Yeah, it is just to drive to and from the range, and the occasional BLM. I was looking for a hard case because my trunk isn't big, and I may end up stacking cases on top of my guns like ammo cans and etc. Nothing like a cinder block.

No airplane trips either! But it would be nice to know that it is lockable.

Also it is so I can transport my new build from the party comfortably and confidently, back then I use to use a dufflebag for the range trip with my DD M4V7.
I will look around.

Though I said no to a guitar case, I'll look into it.

db42
02-22-2012, 7:48 AM
Looking for a hard case less than $100. Is that possible?

If not, what soft cases would you guys and gals(if any) suggest?

I'm looking for a 42" case, 1 or 2 rifles and some accessories, non "im tacticool with a gun in this case look" but not so discrete like a guitar case.

I posted this in the accessories sub forum, but it is dead in there.

Thanks.

BucDan,

Look for the higher end Plano cases; they're reasonably priced and rank fairly close to Pelican.

http://www.tnmoutdoors.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=1289

kaligaran
02-22-2012, 9:19 AM
I picked up a hard rifle case at an army navy store back home for $40. It held 2 rifles and worked great for the cross country move.

You can buy a similiar one from Walmart for $50 and it has straps to secure your rifles:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Protector-Pro-Max-Pillared-Gun-Case/4303558

BucDan
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, though I've been looking for ones in the 40" range, the one kaligaran posted would seem to fit my bill well. Can anyone match that case?