PDA

View Full Version : Factory "zero"

The Virus
02-20-2012, 4:04 PM
It seems to me that pistols have no real zero from the factory.
I have seen the same pistols have drastically different zero's
anywhere from 5 yds. to 25 yds. It would be nice if there was a standard or even better an option.

I was at a class and watched one of the instructors fire some of the students guns at 25 yds. The results were dead on to 15" low left to 12" hi right.

Glocks, hi end 1911's and a couple of M&P's

Needless to say there were quite a few surprised people.

Do you know where your gun is zeroed?

Mr.1904
02-20-2012, 4:16 PM
Glocks come factory sighted in at 12 yards.

CCCTTC
02-20-2012, 4:38 PM
Most factory pistols are stuck in a vise and fired for function and "accuracy", which to them is putting rounds in the same group at a reasonable size. Where that is in relation to YOUR eye and YOUR shooting may be completely off. Most rear sites are drift adjustable nowadays, and if you have a Glock, you should get rid of those Polymer pieces of poo anyway. they are a slot holder anyhow, for the most part. My XD's and Sig's were both pretty much "there" but had to do a minor bit of drift to get them spot on. no biggie, just being picky. 99% should be combat accurate for 99% of the population.

The Virus
02-20-2012, 5:12 PM
Glocks come factory sighted in at 12 yards.

Where did u come by this data?

Mr.1904
02-20-2012, 5:53 PM
Vince D'Abreo Via the Glock Store. One of their gunsmiths.

The Virus
02-20-2012, 6:17 PM
There doesnt seem to be any supporting documentation online about glock or any major manufacturer

G-forceJunkie
02-20-2012, 6:29 PM
Considering the manufacturer has no say in what ammo will be shot through it, they really can't.

2nd Shot
02-20-2012, 7:17 PM
I used to obsess over whether my sights were lined up *perfect* or not, but then came to realize that as long as they're mechanically lined up straight, the shooter has much influence on point of impact, even observing good sight picture every time.

If I'm off the mark, I'll scrutinize my sight picture, trigger pull, and grip, and almost always, start hitting on the mark again.

pc_load_letter
02-20-2012, 7:42 PM
Took out my new Ruger SR9 this weekend. Was off about 4 inches at 10 yards. Thankfully the SR9 comes with fully adjustable rear sights for elevation and windage.

mixicus
02-21-2012, 8:57 AM
In the last year, I've shot several dozen of the same model duty pistol with the same ammo. They each put the rounds in the same place. Per the manual, they are mechanically zero'd at 25m POA/POI. As mentioned above, the manual also states; your zero may vary depending on ammo and style of shooting. I definitely see this when the pistol get in the hands of individuals.

When I see a quality brand pistol shooting (from a rest or my hands) somewhere I didn't expect, I starting looking/asking about 'who did what to this pistol?" If it's simple vertical displacement at 25 yards, it maybe ammo. But accounts for a difference of less than few inches, at most, for a 300fps difference (+P v. a light target 9mm). Again I'll also look at the size of a 5 shot group as maybe there's an issue with the lock-up if the group is too big. Typically, somebody was 'adjusting' the sights because they were 'off' when actually it was the shooter (despite how much they jump up and down and swear 'it's the gun!').

jakuda
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
some manufacturers like ruger will specify in their manual. others don't. as a bullseye shooter I'm extremely sensitive to sight adjustments. for some reason when I shoot other shooters pistols I have to adjust 4" to the right at 50 yards (yes yards). I usually don't have to change their elevation.

Blackhawk556
02-23-2012, 1:08 AM
Man, what are you trying to shoot with a handgun at fifty yards? :)

chim-chim7
02-23-2012, 3:57 AM
I see instructors at the range all the time giving great advise on stance, hold, and trigger disclipine. Sometimes they are only good with their own gun.

mnh2obuff
02-23-2012, 5:52 AM
I just read this article in American Handgunner that covers this point. The article starts on page 52, POA vs POI:

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHMA12/

jakuda
02-23-2012, 9:03 PM
Man, what are you trying to shoot with a handgun at fifty yards? :)

Nra conventional pistol competition aka bullseye shooting
33% of the score is hitting a 8" bullseye at 50 yds. 10-ring is 3.3"

Olympic free pistol is 22lr at 50 meters