PDA

View Full Version : Is the Colt Rail Gun legal in California?

ColtCalifornian
02-20-2012, 3:38 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum. My local dealer recommended I join as I've recently caught the bug for firearms & popped a question at him today that he didn't know the answer to.

Colt seems to be the red-headed step-child in California, most of the local shops I've been to only carry one or two of them, in the most generic configurations imaginable.

Anyway, as for my question that seems fairly obvious from the title: I was wondering if anyone on here knows whether the Colt Rail Gun in S/S or Cerakote finish is legal here? I've been getting the run-around from different dealers as to whether the model I want is off-list or not.

Any help for a noobie to the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the "questionable" models:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtRailGun.aspx

HK4113
02-20-2012, 3:46 PM
Wow you got me all excited for nothing. I thought Colt was releasing a real rail gun, not just another 1911 with a rail like the hundreds of other ones in existence.

HK4113
02-20-2012, 3:47 PM
oh and to answer your question check the doj site for legal handgun status

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

edit: doesn't look like it is on the list to me

CSACANNONEER
02-20-2012, 3:49 PM
Of course it is LEGAL here. Now, getting an off roster gun into the state takes a little extra effort. Contact EBR Works and see if he can help you. I bet he can.

G60
02-20-2012, 4:02 PM
Yes, it is legal, but it is not (nor will it ever be) on the roster.

It's a fine pistol, and one worth SSE'ing.

ColtCalifornian
02-20-2012, 4:06 PM
Of course it is LEGAL here. Now, getting an off roster gun into the state takes a little extra effort. Contact EBR Works and see if he can help you. I bet he can.

I'm confused. What would EBR Works be able to do for me that a regular FFL couldn't?

keenkeen
02-20-2012, 4:09 PM
I'm confused. What would EBR Works be able to do for me that a regular FFL couldn't?

Read the SSE sticky at the top of this forum page and all will become clear...

"Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread"

ColtCalifornian
02-20-2012, 4:21 PM
Yes, it is legal, but it is not (nor will it ever be) on the roster.

It's a fine pistol, and one worth SSE'ing.

I agree! I looked on the list of dealers performing the modifications and I'm in luck! I live less than an hour away from the shop.

Read the SSE sticky at the top of this forum page and all will become clear...

"Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread"

Thank you! That explained everything in simple terms. You guys have been a big help!