PDA

View Full Version : I would like to express my gratitude to the Great State of California

nick
02-20-2012, 2:08 PM
I was always a bolt action guy. I was raised on them, and while I would occasionally use an "inferior" semiauto rifle, it would still have the traditional hunting stock. Semiauto belonged in handguns (and I still prefer semiauto handguns to revolvers for most uses). My only experience with the AR platform was with the (mostly) worn out M16A2s and M4s, which I didn't hold in very high regard. My experience with the AK platform was equally limited to being unable to hit a minute-of-barn with those poorly maintained specimens, and I'm actually grateful for that lack of accuracy.

If it wasn't for the Great State of California, I would still be shunning these two (and many other) great platforms. First (for me) came a magazine ban. I couldn't afford to buy a lot of guns at the time, but I figured I'd, at least, buy the mags for the guns I wanted to buy in the future, or the mags that were dirt cheap. Luckily, both AR and AK mags were dirt cheap at the time, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them, as I didn't see many ARs and AKs in my future. Hell, I even bought Beretta 92FS mags, and I can't stand that gun (and still don't own it. I have about 10 15-rnd mags for it though. Maybe there'll be some other gun using them that I might like, who knows).

But my special thanks to California are reserved for the "assault weapons" ban. As I became more active in gun rights movement (mind you, I'm still not nearly as active as I should be, but I'm working on it :)), I discovered a long list of guns that the morons in charge of CA didn't want me to have. Well, I happen to hate being told what to do by the people who have no business doing so, and whom I have no respect for. So I bought my first sort-of black rifles - the 3 Saigas, in .223, 7.62x39, and .308. Until then, the only semiauto rifles I had were a stock 10/22 and a Remington 742. Those turned out to be some fun ammo wasters, and much more accurate than I expected them to be. So, how about an AK then? Well, at about the same time I discovered yet another one of the moronic bills CA legislature amuses itself with every year - the then-failed long gun registration bill. So building, rather than buying, an AK was a nobrainer. I attended CSA's BP, and my then-girlfriend and I built our first AKs. I gotta tell you, building guns is FUN! And those AKs turned out to be much more accurate than I expected, as well (although my expectations were higher by then, since I've already had the Saigas).

So, at this point, I was already into AKs, and building guns, all thanks to CA legislature. Then the summer of 2008 came along. At that point, the Obama/Clinton buying craze was about to begin, and in order not to be left behind (and since at that point I was pretty much done with my disdain for semiauto rifles), I bought a couple of AR-15 pattern lowers via a group buy (they were about $100 each, not a bad price for the time). I then bought a couple more, through another great buy. Soon thereafter I discovered 80% AR lowers... And you know, building guns is FUN! Thus I discovered the versatility of the AR platform, and I love the ergonomics.

Other projects followed...

I now own a bit over 10 AR-15 pattern rifles, a few DPMS LR-308 pattern rifles, not sure how many AK/RPK variants, and a bunch of other semiauto rifles/pistols/AOWs built by me, and I have a lot of projects in the pipeline. Handguns are coming up next - a bunch of 1911s, and a SIG P228, once I find the parts for it. And aside from the great people who taught me how to build these, helped me along the way, shared their knowledge with me, and were just plain fun to hang out with while building something, my thanks also belong to the Great State of California. I don't know, if I'd have gotten interested in these great platforms without the meddlesome influence from this great state of ours. And so, I wish (with gratitude) that this state continues being bitten by the laws of unintended consequences, again, and again, and again, until it once again becomes what it once was - the freest state in the Union. That, or may it rot to hell. I'd prefer the former, of course.

And thank you to those people who got me this deep into this hobby. I hate you all :rockon:

gadjeep
02-20-2012, 2:32 PM
That's no post... its a manifesto! :D

Capybara
02-20-2012, 9:25 PM
I'm right there with you Nick. I have always been a shotgunner and I own a couple of pistols. 20 years ago, I never had much interest in AKs, ARs. I shot them, I thought they were inaccurate and mostly for poseurs. My how the times have changed. Now that the Great State that I was born in and have lived my entire life in has decided that they don't want me to have these guns, I am very interested in them.

I pick up my first AR, a Windham SRC this week as it comes out of jail and I am seriously interested in an AK now. I once got to shoot an FA UZI and now, even though it has been neutered to be Ca compliant, I am going to buy a 16" barreled, pinned stock, welded magazine Vector UZI.

I too have discovered how versatile a platform these guns are, how much fun they are and best of all, owning as many of them as I can afford is my special salute to the idiots in our state legislature who think that they need to babysit me and take away my 2nd Amendment rights. Thanks ladies and gents up in Sacramento.

Dan

nick
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm right there with you Nick. I have always been a shotgunner and I own a couple of pistols. 20 years ago, I never had much interest in AKs, ARs. I shot them, I thought they were inaccurate and mostly for poseurs. My how the times have changed. Now that the Great State that I was born in and have lived my entire life in has decided that they don't want me to have these guns, I am very interested in them.

I pick up my first AR, a Windham SRC this week as it comes out of jail and I am seriously interested in an AK now. I once got to shoot an FA UZI and now, even though it has been neutered to be Ca compliant, I am going to buy a 16" barreled, pinned stock, welded magazine Vector UZI.

I too have discovered how versatile a platform these guns are, how much fun they are and best of all, owning as many of them as I can afford is my special salute to the idiots in our state legislature who think that they need to babysit me and take away my 2nd Amendment rights. Thanks ladies and gents up in Sacramento.

Dan

Build that AK! That way you'll control the quality, know that rifle as well as possible, and it's fun, too. not to mention the satisfaction of using the rifle YOU built.

Come on, how can you resist this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136201&stc=1&d=1329810973

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136202&stc=1&d=1329811005

Dead*Reckoned
02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Pick up a featureless KT sub 2000 for your beretta mags :)

chillincody
02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeap this website does "good" stuff to you lol

LikeAllGuns
02-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Same thing here ....I fought the AR for years, I said to myself I don't need one of those, I have plenty of guns..... But I finaly bought one and built another and another and another..... And loved it....I'm hooked now.

Databyter
02-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I was always a bolt action guy. I was raised on them, and while I would occasionally use an "inferior" semiauto rifle, it would still have the traditional hunting stock. Semiauto belonged in handguns (and I still prefer semiauto handguns to revolvers for most uses). My only experience with the AR platform was with the (mostly) worn out M16A2s and M4s, which I didn't hold in very high regard. My experience with the AK platform was equally limited to being unable to hit a minute-of-barn with those poorly maintained specimens, and I'm actually grateful for that lack of accuracy.

If it wasn't for the Great State of California, I would still be shunning these two (and many other) great platforms. First (for me) came a magazine ban. I couldn't afford to buy a lot of guns at the time, but I figured I'd, at least, buy the mags for the guns I wanted to buy in the future, or the mags that were dirt cheap. Luckily, both AR and AK mags were dirt cheap at the time, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them, as I didn't see many ARs and AKs in my future. Hell, I even bought Beretta 92FS mags, and I can't stand that gun (and still don't own it. I have about 10 15-rnd mags for it though. Maybe there'll be some other gun using them that I might like, who knows).

But my special thanks to California are reserved for the "assault weapons" ban. As I became more active in gun rights movement (mind you, I'm still not nearly as active as I should be, but I'm working on it :)), I discovered a long list of guns that the morons in charge of CA didn't want me to have. Well, I happen to hate being told what to do by the people who have no business doing so, and whom I have no respect for. So I bought my first sort-of black rifles - the 3 Saigas, in .223, 7.62x39, and .308. Until then, the only semiauto rifles I had were a stock 10/22 and a Remington 742. Those turned out to be some fun ammo wasters, and much more accurate than I expected them to be. So, how about an AK then? Well, at about the same time I discovered yet another one of the moronic bills CA legislature amuses itself with every year - the then-failed long gun registration bill. So building, rather than buying, an AK was a nobrainer. I attended CSA's BP, and my then-girlfriend and I built our first AKs. I gotta tell you, building guns is FUN! And those AKs turned out to be much more accurate than I expected, as well (although my expectations were higher by then, since I've already had the Saigas).

So, at this point, I was already into AKs, and building guns, all thanks to CA legislature. Then the summer of 2008 came along. At that point, the Obama/Clinton buying craze was about to begin, and in order not to be left behind (and since at that point I was pretty much done with my disdain for semiauto rifles), I bought a couple of AR-15 pattern lowers via a group buy (they were about $100 each, not a bad price for the time). I then bought a couple more, through another great buy. Soon thereafter I discovered 80% AR lowers... And you know, building guns is FUN! Thus I discovered the versatility of the AR platform, and I love the ergonomics.

I now own a bit over 10 AR-15 pattern rifles, a few DPMS LR-308 pattern rifles, not sure how many AK/RPK variants, and a bunch of other semiauto rifles/pistols/AOWs built by me, and I have a lot of projects in the pipeline. Handguns are coming up next - a bunch of 1911s, and a SIG P228, once I find the parts for it. And aside from the great people who taught me how to build these, helped me along the way, shared their knowledge with me, and were just plain fun to hang out with while building something, my thanks also belong to the Great State of California. I don't know, if I'd have gotten interested in these great platforms without the meddlesome influence from this great state of ours. And so, I wish (with gratitude) that this state continues being bitten by the laws of unintended consequences, again, and again, and again, until it once again becomes what it once was - the freest state in the Union. That, or may it rot to hell. I'd prefer the former, of course.

And thank you to those people who got me this deep into this hobby. I hate you all :rockon:

We should also make a point to thank our current President, without whom, our Country would be buying and practicing with far fewer weapons.

Thanks Obama for encouraging us all to buy more guns and ammunition, you go boy! No, REALLY, go.

nick
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Pick up a featureless KT sub 2000 for your beretta mags :)

I thought, they only used Glock and 1911 mags? I see more research in my future.

It's interesting how tastes change. I picked up quite a few hi-cap mags for the guns I thought I'd buy, and decided not to buy those, like 92FS and SIGs (well, I'm building a SIG P228 though, so, at least, I'll have the use for those mags). On the other hand, I wish I bought the hi-cap mags for, say, Walther P99/SW99, or P2000 (Springfield xD's predecessor). On the other hand, S&W 59 and Ruger mags came in handy for Marlin and Ruger pistol caliber carbines.

Is there anything, other than Ruger Mini-14, that uses Mini-14 mags? I have a few, and I have no desire to get a Mini-14 anymore.

saki302
02-21-2012, 2:43 AM
Things I wouldn't own if not for CA laws:

Several registered assault weapons (okay, maybe I'd have one or two)
.50BMG rifle
Crapload of hi-caps, some of which they don't even make guns for anymore

-Dave

J.S.Riesch
02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
That's no post... its a manifesto! :D

Wow. No sh*t. Damnů After reading OP I feel like I'm right at home here! Beautifully put! :oji:

23 Blast
02-21-2012, 3:58 PM
I always held that California's high rate of gun sales would plummet if not for our restrictive laws.

I never had any particular desire to own a motorcycle, but if California made noises that they were going to ban the future sale of them, I'd probably get one just because.

rdubya
02-21-2012, 6:56 PM
4 complete AR builds, 2 OLL waiting in the safe.
1 AK built, at least one more in the future.
2 80% 10-22 receivers waiting in the safe for a build party
waiting for 80% 1911 to show up, I will go very broke when it happens
As long as "they" tell me I can't, I guess I will be forced to do.

helpme
02-21-2012, 8:05 PM
Definitely a post worth reading bud.

Now... you :rockon:!

Mr.Sandman
02-22-2012, 6:36 PM
Just wait until it becomes full blown cancer. Soon you will be setting up an NFA trust for AOW's :cool:

Bobby Ricigliano
02-23-2012, 5:23 AM
Guns are a helluva drug.

Lumpia is sarap!«
02-23-2012, 7:49 AM
Finally, someone said it!

Sunwolf
02-23-2012, 9:15 AM

I was a bolt man also until the moronic law passed,then I started buying ARs(a platform that I absolutely hated,M1A was my love) and subsequently was amazed at the varmint type accuracy of some of the ARs.I will keep buying the AR platform until the cows come home.

Mikedril
02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
+1. I'd like to buy or build every firearm, that I can legally own, that would make Boxer and the rest of the California Nazis cringe at the sight. :D