PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions.. .45 Ammo/Shopping around

Mr.1904
02-20-2012, 2:50 PM
Alright, so especially with all this election BS around the corner i want to try and stock up on ammo starting now so i can have a little cushion if things get sticky. I also just got my G30SF last week and am still enamored with it and want to go shooting every other day.

I want to buy 500 rnds of .45 now.

I can either get 500 rnds of Aluminum cased CCI for 154.00 to my doorstep from Palmetto State Armory. I have ordered the identical thing a month or two ago and i am now starting to get to the end of it. It was decent but shipping took forever and i feel like the aluminum case doesn't shoot the same as brass case (call me weird, i don't know).

OR

500 rnds reloaded from Freedom Munitions for a couple extra bucks in shipping.

Now this is really turning into a reloads VS. Aluminum cased thread but still. The aluminum cased stuff is factory new and therefore if god forbid something ammo related catastrophic happened i'd have a finger to point somewhere (hopefully). Now with reloads i feel like you're SOL if something were to happen. At least most manufacturers will void the warranty if you break your stuff shooting reloads, at least that's my understanding.

I could also go with the "factory new" brass cased stuff from Freedom Munitions for an extra 10-12$ but is it the same quality of larger manufacturers factory new ammo? Furthermore anyone have any experience with these guys? I know their realitively new along with Jack Ross, so i'm skeptical.

Any inputs appreciated. Thanks guys!

NapaCountyShooter
02-20-2012, 3:34 PM
I would never buy factory reloads. I've seen too much inconsistency. I'd go Blazer aluminum if you want to go cheap, or UMC/Federal/WWB cheapo brass if you wanted to spend some more for brass.

paul0660
02-20-2012, 3:47 PM
I have given up on aluminum, and factory reloads. Patience will find you factory on sale for close to the same price. The less expensive stuff is ok to run through at the range, but does have a percentage of failures. Good for teaching noobs proper clearing, if anything.

bearstatearmory.com
02-20-2012, 4:01 PM
I don't have anything that cheap; however, a fair amount ready to ship out.

http://bearstatearmory.com/catalog/speclookup.asp?spectype=Caliber&specvalue=45ACP&category=10

Oceanbob
02-20-2012, 4:09 PM
Glock 30SF...? You picked a perfect weapon...:)

I can't believe how accurate and reliable mine is..!

Think about the future and getting into reloading. I reload .45 auto on my Dillon 1050 and can pump out about 1000 rounds per hour.

I bought 4000 primed cases on the cheap; 8 pounds of powder, 10,000 primers...boolets of all shapes and weights.....gotta be ready.

Take care
Bob

Mr.1904
02-20-2012, 4:20 PM
Glock 30SF...? You picked a perfect weapon...:)

I can't believe how accurate and reliable mine is..!

Think about the future and getting into reloading. I reload .45 auto on my Dillon 1050 and can pump out about 1000 rounds per hour.

I bought 4000 primed cases on the cheap; 8 pounds of powder, 10,000 primers...boolets of all shapes and weights.....gotta be ready.

Take care
Bob

Thank you Sir. It's everything i'd hoped it would be. Drooled over it for more than long enough. Already had the 21 non-SF and love it so the compact version was obviously the next step:cool:

As for reloading i do not have the spacial means to meet such a requirement. I live in an Apt and would have nowhere to set up. But it is something i feel comes with the progression of shooting in general. Definitely on the list. Until then, gun shows and online deal hunting is making the cut.

CCCTTC
02-20-2012, 4:35 PM
I would say wait and check CTD or SG for their "deals of the week". They usually have bulk boxed Federal Brass cased 230gr for REALLY cheap pretty often. That's what I do, and the shipping is usually pretty fast. I thnk SG got me my last order last week in around 4 days and CTD usually takes about a week to get to my door if I order during business hours.

Midway also has deals pretty often, and their shipping (if its in stock) is outstanding as well!

Just some thoughts especially for stock up situations. If you don't need it RIGHT NOW, the shipping of a week or 2 shouldn't be an issue, and making sure you get good, relilable ammo should be the #1 goal there. Having 2000 rounds of cheapo aluminum or factory reloads that don't work when you need them is MUCH worse than spending $50 more and having great ammo that runs and works as it should.

Just my .02 (I don't shop at Turner's but they are ALWAYS having stuff on sale. Had 12ga olin mil-spec stuff $144 case before christmas...YIKES... hard to pass up, but I jsut said no...LOL)

teflondog
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I prefer shooting brass cased ammo for reloading. Even if you don't reload now, you would be doing yourself a big favor if you saved all your spent brass. You may eventually reload and you'll thank yourself for having brass on hand.

Here's a good deal for brass cased .45 ammo:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/500rds-45-acp-auto-federal-american-eagle-230-grain-fmj-ammo-ae45a250

Kodachrome
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Not sure of your location but gun shows are a good place for ammo other than mail order.
Miwall ammo is one of the best suppliers of factory and reloads that I use. Never had any problems with their reloads.
Gun Broker may be an option. Plenty of mail order ammo places out there.
Save all your brass for the day you meet someone who reloads or when you decide to get into it yourself.
Happy Shooting

WWDHD?
02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I bought a RIA tac a few months ago and I'm buying .45acp whenever I find a deal. So far I haven't paid more than $16 for a box of 230FMJ.
First I bought some PMC at a gun show for about $15.50/box. Could have gotten an even better deal if I had bought 1000rds but didn't have that much cash. The best deal I got was during Xmas Cabela's was selling S&B .45 for $15 a box with free shipping and no tax. Bought as much of that as I could. So far I'm paying about the same as I was for .38 special. I'm always on the lookout for deals on ammo and buy more than I think I need. Could be a good investment even if I don't get to use it. Watch the Deals section on this board, people post when they find a good buy. Then theres always Walmart. I think their Federal 50rd box is around $18 or so. Watch the online stores. Palmetto is hard to beat and cheap shipping. Good luck.

Mr.1904
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
So i pulled the trigger on (no pun intended) the CCI.

Going to pick up Miwall reloads for 9mm at the next gun show. 140$ per 1000 rnds

It's all cash dependent.

kelley_aj
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Jack ross?

http://www.jackrossammo.com/.45-Auto/