PDA

View Full Version : Violent crime in DC surges

NoJoke
02-20-2012, 1:41 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/19/violent-crime-dc-surges-2012/

Some interesting stats in the story beginning with...

"Violent crime so far this year in the District has spiked sharply a 40 percent increase that includes twice as many robberies at gunpoint than at this time last year."

njineermike
02-20-2012, 1:43 PM
I can't wait for them to blame it on Heller

WokMaster1
02-20-2012, 4:33 PM
I was talking to a US Capitol police officer & asked him how many LE agencies are there in DC & he said about 85 agencies. I am shocked that with that many badges & guns running around in DC, there is still such a high rate of crimes:facepalm:

Side note:Are there really that many agencies in DC?
All I see is from this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_enforcement_agencies_in_the_District_o f_Columbia

CessnaDriver
02-20-2012, 4:50 PM
Hope and change come home to roost.

CS25
02-21-2012, 8:06 AM
i debate gun laws at school with my professors all the time. restrictive gun laws, like in D.C., doesn't mean there isn't going to be less crime. The argument is also coming from professors who don't know any of the procedures of buying/selling a weapon. How a weapon functions, or the proper fire arm safety protocols. Since liberals don't like guns, they demonize them. I told the teacher I have guns, locked up, at home...does that make me more likely to commit a crime? of course she tried to change the subject. The unfortunate truth is that if no one challenges liberal professors then the students will adopt the same "ideas" because they are all zombies in the class. Thus producing more gun hating people in society.

dwtt
02-22-2012, 7:01 AM
I was talking to a US Capitol police officer & asked him how many LE agencies are there in DC & he said about 85 agencies. I am shocked that with that many badges & guns running around in DC, there is still such a high rate of crimes:facepalm:

You shouldn't be surprised at all. Many of the people in these agencies are federal agents. They are charged with enforcing some federal law their agency is responsible for. FBI covers many intrastate crimes, domestic terrorism, ...etc. BATFE enforces firearms, alcohol, tobacco, and explosives laws. The ICE enforces the immigration and customs laws. Secret Service goes after bank robbers and protects the president ... and so on. These federal agencies do not enforce the local DC laws like traffic laws or street crimes, since that is left to the metro cops. Every day beginning around 4PM many of these federal agents commute out of the city and into Maryland and Virginia, leaving the city to the metro cops and resident criminals. If a federal agent sees a crime in progress, he can stop it and detain the criminal, but the criminals know better than to commit crimes in the down town area during the day.

tyrist
02-22-2012, 8:40 PM

Side note:Are there really that many agencies in DC?
All I see is from this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_enforcement_agencies_in_the_District_o f_Columbia

Agencies does not equal boots on the streets or detectives investigating street crimes.

Vanguard
02-23-2012, 8:07 AM
Guns aren't the reason DC has a high crime rate.