PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork for new firearm owners?

djgtek
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Can anyone inform a new firearm owner what type of paperwork I should be receiving (and keeping on personal file) from my FFL upon receipt of my firearm? Should I have paperwork stating the firearm is registered in my name?

Nor*Cal
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
A receipt for your purchase and you could ask for a copy of the DROS. You are not required to carry any paperwork for your handgun.

JNunez23
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
What NorCal said. That is what I care to keep from my gun purchases.

djgtek
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the input. Since each firearm is uniquely registered to an individual, how would one prove that the firearm is indeed legally registered to them in the case of being asked by LE? Would the DROS state that?

halifax
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
If the officer has a reason to question your possession of your new handgun they can radio in the serial number and it should come back as registered to you. Long guns, for now, aren't registered to a specific owner.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
02-20-2012, 1:30 PM
Nor are handguns per se. The DROS is still technically just a record of sale. There are a great many handguns that changed hands in California prior to the private party transfer requirements and there are no mandatory requirements for these guns to be registered. What has happened over the years is the creation of de facto registration via the DROS system, but not a true handgun registration system.

As for documents, a receipt is always a good thing to have and a copy of your DROS is available upon demand from your FFL at the time of purchase. You don't need either of these however to possess your gun nor do you have to carry or present them to anyone.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650)969-GUNS

A-J
02-20-2012, 1:43 PM
Personally, I keep the a copy of all the paperwork from the transaction (DROS plus a copy of the receipt) in my document safe, and make an electronic copy of the gun info (type, serial number, DROS number, date and place of purchase) on a spreadsheet. I do not carry any of the paperwork with me though.

acegunnr
02-20-2012, 1:50 PM
I also ask for a copy of the 4473.

Librarian
02-20-2012, 2:56 PM
See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration

littlejake
02-21-2012, 8:47 AM
A receipt for your purchase and you could ask for a copy of the DROS...

You should ask for a copy of the DROS if the dealer does automatically offer it.

I keep all paperwork and make copies. I store a copy both onsite and offsite.

I recently started carrying a copy of the DROS when transporting any firearm -- it's not technically a registration document -- but, it's the closest thing.

Keeping good records is useful. I've requested AFS printouts from CA DOJ/BOF and have found errors. With documentation, I have been able to straighten them out; although I dislike having to do their job.

Also keep all records you can get from a disposition -- and file an NLIP even though it should come off your AFS printout; sometimes it just doesn't get done. (the path through you never goes away; but, it should not show up after proper disposition.)