PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have communications with Tactical Innovations? RE: Threaded Pistol Barrels

bigcalidave
02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm trying to buy a short barrel for my 10/22 charger 80% build, but the people at Tactical Innovations refuse to ship threaded pistol barrels into California. I've tried to explain the laws and situation, but I'm getting nowhere. It's another one of those, "well we know California laws and we aren't going to change our policy". I've sent the flowchart, and explained fixed magazine builds, plus the many thousands of AR and AK pistols that our members have built / bought.

It's really too bad, to have a manufacturer that makes some pretty cool stuff (like the best 10/22 magazines) refuse to support the California market.

I'm hoping that someone else has a better chance of getting through to them :)

http://www.tacticalinc.com is the website. sales@tacticalinc.com is the email.

Mute
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I've spoken to them at SHOT. They'd rather not take chances that the recipient will choose to remain legal.

Oceanbob
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Perhaps have one drop shipped to someone out of State...?..a friend or relative..?.

Funny how some of these companies think. Even LoneWolf will ship threaded GLOCK barrels to Kalifornistan. Owning a threaded barrel is not a crime. Duh...

Be well, Bob

bigcalidave
02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, that's what they told me too. However that could be said for every part, piece, gun, knife etc etc etc.... Surprisingly enough, California is the largest or second largest firearms market in the country (depending on who you speak with) and missing out on sales here is a terrible policy. Can you imagine if more manufacturers did business like that? We would have nothing, and any other state with ANY firearms laws would fall into the same bucket.

bwiese
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
There's always gonna be stragglers.

That's one of the reasons I've focused on reeling (or help others to do so) in the Big Boys into CA is simply that there will be quite a bit of carry-along after time.

Ultraspecialty small-volume parts vendors (Knight's) will either come along or be obstinate.

bigcalidave
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Send em a note Bill :)

Rossi357
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
On a semi auto pistol....
Would lock tight..ing a nut on the threaded barrel make it non threaded?
Would JB weld...ing a nut on a threaded barrel make it non threaded?

bigcalidave
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
No, there are very specific ways to unthread a barrel. Silver solder at high temp, blind pin and weld over. It should be very permanent.

Munk
02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I've run into this when trying to get quotes to have an Encore Pistol barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. It's not semi-auto, it doesn't have a magazine so it can't be detachable, so it's good to go on both of the base counts.

Although, the few I've explained the difference to have received the info well and claimed they would follow up on what I told them.

30rdMag
02-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm trying to buy a short barrel for my 10/22 charger 80% build, but the people at Tactical Innovations refuse to ship threaded pistol barrels into California..

PM'ed you

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Cal-FFL will reach out to TacSol in writing soon; CGF/Cal-FFL made real progress at SHOT (news when we can announce) and hoped TacSol would come around.

-Brandon

CHS
02-21-2012, 8:10 AM
Cal-FFL will reach out to TacSol in writing soon; CGF/Cal-FFL made real progress at SHOT (news when we can announce) and hoped TacSol would come around.

Tactical Innovations IS NOT TacSol.

TacSol already ships threaded barrels into CA.

CHS
02-21-2012, 8:11 AM
No, there are very specific ways to unthread a barrel. Silver solder at high temp, blind pin and weld over. It should be very permanent.

Not really. The DOJ has said that threadlockers and a nut without wrench flats are ok. (Walther P22 issue)

You're talking about the federal standards for permanence regarding extending a sub-16" rifle barrel to 16" or more.

cdtx2001
02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I've spoken to them at SHOT. They'd rather not take chances that the recipient will choose to remain legal.

With that sort of flawed logic on their part, why do they even choose to remain in business? How do they know someone won't buy something (a gun) from them and use it to kill someone? Isn't that illegal too? Sheesh! If they're that worried about how a buyer will use a certain part they might as well pack up and close shop now.

12voltguy
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Yes, that's what they told me too. However that could be said for every part, piece, gun, knife etc etc etc.... Surprisingly enough, California is the largest or second largest firearms market in the country (depending on who you speak with) and missing out on sales here is a terrible policy. Can you imagine if more manufacturers did business like that? We would have nothing, and any other state with ANY firearms laws would fall into the same bucket.

calif is also the 6th largest economy in the WORLD ! yes bigger then most whole countrys we have buying power.....guess some dealers have too many customers & can aford to lose sales to calif:rolleyes:

30rdMag
02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
calif is also the 6th largest economy in the WORLD ! yes bigger then most whole countrys we have buying power.....guess some dealers have too many customers & can aford to lose sales to calif:rolleyes:

Ah is this pre Bush or pre Clinton? As its not so strong now days.

wildhawker
02-21-2012, 1:19 PM
Tactical Innovations IS NOT TacSol.

TacSol already ships threaded barrels into CA.

Thanks, my error. In any case, we'll put TI on the list of manufacturers to contact.

-Brandon

12voltguy
02-21-2012, 1:58 PM
Ah is this pre Bush or pre Clinton? As its not so strong now days.

read that this year
I think it's current;)

Munk
02-21-2012, 7:05 PM
read that this year
I think it's current;)

We used to be the FIFTH largest economy, but we lost that place a little while back and so dropped to Sixth.

bigcalidave
02-21-2012, 9:02 PM
Thanks, my error. In any case, we'll put TI on the list of manufacturers to contact.

-Brandon

Thanks B

tenpercentfirearms
02-22-2012, 5:40 AM
I think those guys were a few SHOT Shows back who treated JK Supply and I like chumps and wouldn't sell us lowers. So we bought a ton from YHM no problem.

See if you can find a barrel somewhere else and send them the receipt. After talking to Rock River Arms at this last SHOT Show and telling them it was cool if they didn't want to sell me lowers or rifles because they were one of the few left who didn't, unlike Armalite, Bushmaste, Colt, DPMS, etc. and seeing the look on their face, the tide has changed. I'm done spending a lot of time begging and more time moving on.

Hopefully we can get CALFFL to help educate people.

bigcalidave
02-22-2012, 8:16 AM
I only buy from vendors here, typically, but I don't know anyone else that makes a 4" 10/22 barrel :)

Mesa Tactical
02-22-2012, 8:21 AM
See if you can find a barrel somewhere else and send them the receipt. After talking to Rock River Arms at this last SHOT Show and telling them it was cool if they didn't want to sell me lowers or rifles because they were one of the few left who didn't, unlike Armalite, Bushmaste, Colt, DPMS, etc. and seeing the look on their face, the tide has changed. I'm done spending a lot of time begging and more time moving on.

Wes, you are the wind beneath my wings.

Munk
02-22-2012, 1:03 PM
I think those guys were a few SHOT Shows back who treated JK Supply and I like chumps and wouldn't sell us lowers. So we bought a ton from YHM no problem.

Hopefully we can get CALFFL to help educate people.

Good customer service is never treating a company like chumps. If it were an order scaling issue, like needing a minimum order of 50 lowers or something, then you just politely state your order restrictions, then wish the asking company well in their business endeavors so that one day they may be a valued client who buys at the required unit levels. Alternatively, they could invite you to do a Joint Venture with a few other FFLs, or form a buying Co-Op so that a large group of small FFLs could take advantage of the economies of scale. Seriously, customer service isn't hard.

Glad you're smart enough to buy from people who will serve you without insult. I just wish you were closer to me.

6172crew
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
If you can wait for the barrel for a few weeks I have an address you can ship it to and I will ship it back to you. Lemme know.

bigcalidave
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
I've actually decided to make my own, I've got a few donor barrels to play with, I think I can make it work

Kharn
03-01-2012, 1:52 AM
I only buy from vendors here, typically, but I don't know anyone else that makes a 4" 10/22 barrel :)

I have a High Desert Dog barrel on my 10/22 SBR, but it is 5.5"x0.920" of solid stainless steel and very heavy. They'll make whatever length you need, I requested 5/8" thread length vs the standard 0.4" or 0.5", with matching thread protector and they said no problem. Call them a few days after you place your order, mine sat in purgatory for a few weeks for some unknown reason until I called.