PDA

View Full Version : Best Store with Most Handguns in Stock: South Bay

vg247
02-20-2012, 7:59 AM
Hi all-

I'm in the process of helping my colleague select a handgun for home defense and would like some recommendations for stores down in the South Bay Area with large inventory where she could see and feel handguns before making a decision as she has really small hands and is quite petite at 5'4" tall.

She going to be getting a 9mm and has tried the P229 said the grip width was still too big and didn't care too much for the Glock 19. I'm hoping we can look at the P239 Sig,
SP2022 Sig, SA XD9, and SA EMP

Thank you for the input fellow CG-ers!

nismoflip
02-20-2012, 8:31 AM
targetmasters in milpitas has a good selection, good prices, and a range. you can rent most of the models they have for sale

there's also reeds in Santa Clara

calif 15-22
02-20-2012, 8:38 AM
Gun Vault in Mountain View has a large selection as well. Very good to deal with.

Nor*Cal
02-20-2012, 8:48 AM
The above mentioned shops along with the Gun Exchange in San Jose. Target Masters will most likely have the most to choose from.

Lead Waster
02-20-2012, 9:31 AM
Agreed on Target Masters, also the range is cheap. Before 4pm, it's $8/hour. BUT the cheapness brings with it ...cheapos. So you'll see guys bringing girls that they want to impress, even though they themselves have barely any firearms sense. You'll see bullet holes in the ceiling and idiots sweeping the bay. Reeds is a much more ..uh, professional? (You pay more, but you are less likely to get muzzled).

If you go to TM, don't go on Fridays when every goes.

MyGlock17
02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
To me Mount Pleasant Arms, Metal Dog Tactical and Target Masters have the best price in the south bay...I've been looking for a handgun for more then 3 months now and Mount Pleasant Arms had the best price on the Glock 17 for $499 and everyone else was $50 more...Also Mount Pleasant Arms i think carry Sigs now...But if you wanna try out the gun 1st go to Target Masters in Milpitas they have a good selection...But me personally i would either go to Mparms or Metal Dog for my next purchase just to spread the money around :)...Target Masters has so much business already that it won't hurt to help the other stores...Have fun shopping and make sure you get the one that fits right in your hand...I was thinking of getting the Glock 19 over the Glock 17 but the Glock 17 felt better in my hands...

Hank Dodge
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Reeds has a great selection of what is commonly available for sale in California. They also have a good amount of handguns to rent so that your friend can likely try something similar out and be certain what they want before they purchase one.

plsmyk
02-20-2012, 11:10 AM
My daughter is of similar stature to your colleague. I bought a Sig P239 for her to use. The gun fits her hand well, but the the DA trigger pull is a bit too long of a reach for her. I have a suspicion that it will be a problem with any DA/SA pistol (or double action revolver) for her.

The search is still on for the perfect gun that will work for her small hands. She likes the feel of my Browning Hi-Power. It doesn't have the DA trigger pull problem the P239, so she's going to try that next.

Also the Sig SP2022 might work. The DA trigger reach seems a bit shorter and the grips are changeable so she can try different sizes to see if one will work best for her. That is also on my daughter's "to try" list.

Reeds is a good place to " try before you buy". The have a good selelction of rental guns.

vg247
02-20-2012, 7:29 PM
You guys have been great, thank you for all the input..will check those out for the models on our "to try" list for her..

vg247
02-20-2012, 7:32 PM
My daughter is of similar stature to your colleague. I bought a Sig P239 for her to use. The gun fits her hand well, but the the DA trigger pull is a bit too long of a reach for her. I have a suspicion that it will be a problem with any DA/SA pistol (or double action revolver) for her.

The search is still on for the perfect gun that will work for her small hands. She likes the feel of my Browning Hi-Power. It doesn't have the DA trigger pull problem the P239, so she's going to try that next.

Also the Sig SP2022 might work. The DA trigger reach seems a bit shorter and the grips are changeable so she can try different sizes to see if one will work best for her. That is also on my daughter's "to try" list.

Reeds is a good place to " try before you buy". The have a good selelction of rental guns.

Thank you for your feedback
..not sure if they make one for the P239, but perhaps you can see if they have the SIG "short trigger" for that model. I have them installed for my P229's and P226 and love them.

den888
02-20-2012, 7:49 PM
+1 on Targetmasters in Milpitas

PandaLuv
02-20-2012, 7:51 PM
sigh, target masters, you will spend an hour on PPT. 11 days DROS.

XYZ
02-20-2012, 7:56 PM
BAGV
Reeds
TM

These would be the three I normally check. SJ Gun Exchange would be next.

plsmyk
02-20-2012, 8:47 PM
vg247,

I don't like the short trigger in the Sigs I shoot. I never thought of putting one in the P239 for her to try. Right now I'm thinking the Hi-Power might do the trick. It will be a trade off between not having to learn the DA/SA trigger transition and having to deal with a thumb safety. Besides that, the gun itself is bigger. Next time she is home from school we'll give it a try.

Best of luck with your search.

vg247
02-20-2012, 8:53 PM
vg247,

I don't like the short trigger in the Sigs I shoot. I never thought of putting one in the P239 for her to try. Right now I'm thinking the Hi-Power might do the trick. It will be a trade off between not having to learn the DA/SA trigger transition and having to deal with a thumb safety. Besides that, the gun itself is bigger. Next time she is home from school we'll give it a try.

Best of luck with your search.

Sounds great, thanks again plsmyk ..just a thought with the Short Trigger suggestion, in my colleague's case it the trigger reach and width of the 229/226 grips were still too far/big. Safe shooting

smarter
02-20-2012, 9:41 PM
Kerney's in Cupertino doesn't have a lot but a nice little shop. Hidden in Cupertino since 1969.

vg247
02-25-2012, 3:49 PM
Just wanted to provide a little update here, in case anyone is shopping for a handgun and from my OP for smaller hands..

After some calls, we ended up going to BAGV as they had all of our top 5 models in stock we we could compare and contrast all of them...the winner for my colleague, from my aforementioned choices is going to be a Sig 229 Enhanced Elite..the contour of the E2 type grip fits his smaller hand perfectly.

..Not sure if all standard CA list P229's come with this new grip profiling as the SIG website indicated this is standard on all their P229's now, (so a basic P229 is a better price option if the enhanced model is a little price heavy at $1050).

....Every staff member at BAGV was extremely kind, helpful (not pushing a sale), and patient to show you anything they offered for sale without the feeling of being rushed. They had many handguns and longarms in stock. A+ for a NorCal seller.

--Thanks again to everyone that chimed in and hopefully this thread can help someone else looking for the ideal "smaller grip" handgun and great store to visit in Norcal..

~~Safe shooting folks!