PDA

View Full Version : 1911 firing pin issues.. Normal?

Laser Sailor
02-20-2012, 8:39 AM
I was showing a few people my 1911, a Springfield Loaded, and letting them shoot it when the firing pin got jammed. It wasn't sticking out into the chamber, nor was the rear of it extended so the hammer could strike it.

This was mildly embarrassing as I had been praising the virtues of the .45 cartridge.

When I got home I field stripped the gun and with a little persuasion managed to remove the firing pin. It was undamaged so I cleaned out the firing pin hole and put it back. I did a function test and everything seems to be in order.

It wasn't super dirty, so my question is, should I be overly concerned? I had been considering using this gun for duty carry, but I'm rethinking that now.

Sent from my iPhone while crashing my mountain bike.

fanof1911forlife
02-20-2012, 9:02 AM
May be the firing pin spring needs a good cleaning or possibly replacing?

greybeard
02-20-2012, 9:21 AM
I would probably hold off on the carry part, until it becomes reliable again.

1nickatnite1
02-20-2012, 9:26 AM
Definitely test it some more before tryin to carry it. Give springfield a call to see if they heard of this malfunction and let them take care of you

jpscoot_21
02-20-2012, 9:27 AM
I took my Springfield Loaded to Kings in Glendale because it was light-striking with a light-weight titanium pin. They told me it uses a. 38 Super firing pin. I ended up replacing it with a new steel pin.

MA2
02-20-2012, 9:41 AM
Could be a loose pin stop, making it not aligned with the pin, would check that as well.

Also function test it at home a few times:
Dry fire it with a pencil (eraser side), and the pencil should fly out.

redcliff
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Not normal, in 37 years of 1911 useage and many, many thousands of rounds of .45acp fired I've not experienced a firing pin getting stuck.

How many rounds through the pistol? Have you cleaned the firing pin channel before or replaced the spring? Did you find any fragments of a blown primer in the channel or is there any erosion or damage around the firing pin hole on the breach face?

Laser Sailor
02-20-2012, 1:02 PM
The gun is fairly new, I'd say about 500 rounds through it. I did not find evidence of a blown primer. Upon reading another thread entitled "How often to clean firing pin" it seems that the likely problem is the lube I put in the FP hole on my first detail strip. I'll clean it all out and function check with the pencil eraser tonight. Then go shoot a few hundred rounds to make sure everything is kosher.

Sent from my iPhone while crashing my mountain bike.

sammy
02-20-2012, 2:21 PM
Take the pin out and roll it on a table top. Make sure it does not wobble. A bent firing pin is easy to miss. Chances are it is titanium. If it is bent replace it with a carbon steel unit. I have bent 2 titanium pins and since they have been replaced there have been no problems.

If you want a new firing pin spring PM me your address. I am happy to send you one.

Jason762
02-20-2012, 2:31 PM
I had a similar problem with my Colt 1911.

Turns out the trigger overtravel screw needed adjusting. The firing pin plunger lever wasn't raising up enough to depress the plunger and so it blocked the firing pin from moving.

MyGlock17
02-20-2012, 8:01 PM
maybe your putting to much oil and some how it got in the firing pin...

buffybuster
02-20-2012, 8:45 PM
Springfield Armory uses a Titanium Firing Pin and Extra Power FP Spring to meet the CA Drop Test requirements.

My advice: Bin those parts and get a Steel FP (Springfield spec diameter), standard FP spring, clean the FP tunnel and reinstall those parts.

buffybuster
02-20-2012, 8:46 PM
I had a similar problem with my Colt 1911.

Turns out the trigger overtravel screw needed adjusting. The firing pin plunger lever wasn't raising up enough to depress the plunger and so it blocked the firing pin from moving.

Springfield 1911's don't have those "Series 80" parts.

Don Edmondson
02-20-2012, 9:39 PM
The only time I ever seen a1911 firing pin stick, was when a primer burned through and metal particles jammed it Don

Jason762
02-21-2012, 8:45 AM
Springfield 1911's don't have those "Series 80" parts.

Oh? Then how is it CA legal? I was under the impression that the S80 safety is what made it permissible in CA.

redcliff
02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh? Then how is it CA legal? I was under the impression that the S80 safety is what made it permissible in CA.

They typically use a titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring to make it drop safe for the tests. Additionally they were added to the Safe Handgun Roster before some of the new requirements like loaded chamber indicators and magazine disconnects.

Kruzr
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM

There are quite a few guns on the roster that aren't a Series 80 or have any firing pin block. The gun has to pass a drop test, not have a FP block.

BTW, not all FP blocks on 1911's are a Series 80. The FP blocks on 1911's by S&W and Kimber do not use a S80 system.

To the OP, make sure the FP spring didn't break and coil on top of itself. That is sometimes hard to see.

littlejake
02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
My advice: Bin those parts and get a Steel FP (Springfield spec diameter), standard FP spring, clean the FP tunnel and reinstall those parts.

I have a SA 1911A1 loaded model that's NIB. I'd like to avoid that firing pin problem by replacing it with a steel FP and standard spring. Looking at what's available in 38 Super Auto 1911 FPs, they say they won't fit the SA. (might just be a disclaimer)

Do you have a specific part in mind?

ojisan
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
The .38 Super / 9mm firing pins are often smaller in diameter to match the small pistol primers than the 10mm / .45ACP guns that use large pistol primers.
I don't think every manufacturer uses two sizes of pins, though.
I'm guessing .40S&W would use the smaller pin too?
Any .40 1911 owners here who can comment?

Kruzr
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Springfield uses a proprietary sized firing pin, just like the internals to the MSH. The Springfield firing pin is 0.075". Ed Brown makes them in steel as does EGW.

Bentot
02-21-2012, 4:29 PM
Replacement firing pin for Springfield 1911 is Brownells part number 087-205-826. Its steel and made by Ed Brown.

buffybuster
02-21-2012, 7:10 PM
I have a SA 1911A1 loaded model that's NIB. I'd like to avoid that firing pin problem by replacing it with a steel FP and standard spring. Looking at what's available in 38 Super Auto 1911 FPs, they say they won't fit the SA. (might just be a disclaimer)

Do you have a specific part in mind?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26865/Product/1911-AUTO-FIRING-PIN

Springfield uses a 0.075" diameter FP for all their models, regardless of caliber for at least the last 10-12 years.

buffybuster
02-21-2012, 7:14 PM
Springfield uses a proprietary sized firing pin, just like the internals to the MSH. The Springfield firing pin is 0.075". Ed Brown makes them in steel as does EGW.

Bin those parts too. Change it all back to the way it's suppose to be. The short, super heavy main spring that Springfield uses, so you can lock it, does no favor to getting a good trigger.

littlejake
02-23-2012, 7:47 AM
Bin those parts too. Change it all back to the way it's suppose to be. The short, super heavy main spring that Springfield uses, so you can lock it, does no favor to getting a good trigger.

I have a SA MSH that I bought from SA thinking I might like to put it in a Kimber. Interesting thing is -- it came with an alternate plunger to use with non SA 1911's.

That MSH ILS seems insecure as it has two holes for their spanner type key. I bet I have a dozen tools that would turn that without the "key."

I wonder if the SA has a different length hammer strut? Anyone know?

(Yeah, it's topic creep) But still on the SA subject.