PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Carbine Pistol- CA Legal????

SwPx4
02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
sorry if this is a dupe... tried the search feature...

but,

anyone think this could be legal in California?? there are a few different version in the video... i know the one with the stock would be banned, but the one without... and of course with out a front grip. possibly?

what are your thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IZ_6qm56o

Please embed for me... (couldnt find the instructions on search either :facepalm:)

jrara
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
I think once you put this on your weapon it is considered as a SBR (short barrelled rifle) which would make it illegal. :(

zfields
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
SBR.

SwPx4
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
i would understand that for the LEO version... with the folding stock... but if it is JUST the rail system... would that be okay??? ive got my fingers crossed!!! LOL..

anyone with experience on this one??

Millions-Knives
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
I think once you put this on your weapon it is considered as a SBR (short barrelled rifle) which would make it illegal. :(

True, an SBR permanently if you added a stock to it.

But the OP is asking without the stock.

But the whole 'carbine' name makes me feel uncomfortable.

zfields
02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
i would understand that for the LEO version... with the folding stock... but if it is JUST the rail system... would that be okay??? ive got my fingers crossed!!! LOL..

Why?

jrara
02-19-2012, 11:28 PM

I hope you don't plan to add a Foregrip.

This is what I read so far

"Adding any sort of foregrip makes it illegal in California and other states. Leaving off foregrip and stock, and all youve done is bulked up your sidearm for the sling functionality."

There was a discussion about this here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=521210)

jvc707
02-19-2012, 11:50 PM
True, an SBR permanently if you added a stock to it.

I will agree with Knives on this.

The "LE" version with folding stock would make this a SBR thus no-go. if just the rail adapter then....why not?

I got to play with it at Shot Show last month and I thought it was pretty cool looking.:cool2:

Intimid8tor
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
They use a bullet as tool in the video. See, a bullet is a tool!

247Nino
02-20-2012, 1:05 AM
why not just get a carbine?

saki302
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I guess the bare chassis would be okay- but what's the point? Add 20 oz. dead weight to your pistol? Your pistol has a rail, you can already put a light on it.

-Dave

civilsnake
02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I guess the bare chassis would be okay- but what's the point? Add 20 oz. dead weight to your pistol? Your pistol has a rail, you can already put a light on it.

-Dave

I think you're being shortsighted. The point is not to install this on your pistol permanently. You could keep this in your safe or the trunk of your car already configured with a light/laser/red dot/optics of your choice, and quickly install the pistol to increase its overall capabilities. Adding that 20oz stabilizes the gun and absorbs more recoil, and a single point sling can increase stability.

I think it's a neat idea, and if the price is right (which I supremely doubt), I would get one.

SwPx4
02-20-2012, 8:31 PM
I think you're being shortsighted. The point is not to install this on your pistol permanently. You could keep this in your safe or the trunk of your car already configured with a light/laser/red dot/optics of your choice, and quickly install the pistol to increase its overall capabilities. Adding that 20oz stabilizes the gun and absorbs more recoil, and a single point sling can increase stability.

I think it's a neat idea, and if the price is right (which I supremely doubt), I would get one.

Exactly! It looks pretty cool. And you could hold the rail as a forward grip. Sling functionality and what not is cool. I think it is about $500 ish...

saki302
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
If I have time to go to the trunk and pick out an accessory and install it- I have even more time to grab a rifle caliber carbine instead :D

Same reason I didn't buy a MAC/UZI/TMP pistol back in the day. Try shooting a MAC/AR pistol using a forward grip at the range- it doesn't work so well. For one of these to work, you need a shoulder sling and a rear attachment point to push out against and stabilize it. That sure works, but again, do you have time to sling up?

Probably makes a fun range toy- I do like how it claims to fit ANY railed pistol.

-Dave

tuna quesadilla
02-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Exactly! It looks pretty cool. And you could hold the rail as a forward grip. Sling functionality and what not is cool. I think it is about $500 ish...

If you're going to drop $500 on this just to use it as a bloated pistol, why not spend that money on a basic carbine which will be ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more effective in every way? BTW I hope your tacticool little rail unit doesn't shift zero when you take it off and reinstall it.

Dhena81
02-21-2012, 1:32 AM
You could almost get another used Sig for the price :facepalm: I love the Mil-Grade mini dot sight lol sorry its late this is a bunch of crap IMO. Sig is really really getting ridiculous with all their crap now days.

PEZHEAD265
02-21-2012, 8:26 AM
Can that front hand stop be considered a forward grip??If you look at the vidio there is a hook.In a free state maybe but in CA I wouldn't want to test the waters.If a stock can be put on it just owning the peices to make a SBR IS Illegal.They get you for intent.

Quiet
02-22-2012, 12:39 AM
SIG Adaptive Carbine Platform
https://sigsauerguns.s3.amazonaws.com/ACP-Enhanced-Web.jpg

It would be legal, as long as...

... you never attach a shoulder stock to it.
... you never attach a vertical forward grip to it.
... you use a maglock and a 10 round or less magazine.

Installing it on a handgun, would make the firearm into an assault weapon due to it having a "barrel shroud". [PC 30515(a)(4)(C)]

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Dhena81
02-22-2012, 1:07 AM
A barrel shroud :facepalm: I guess the sling is what helps it go up :rolleyes: