PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to sell off some guns before a move to Cali, or bring them in?

rtcell
02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi All,

I am moving to Cali from the State of WA, and I have a few guns I don't want to sell but don't want to cripple with low-capacity mags either. Plus I have a few safe queens , I don't like the idea of gun registration so maybe I should just sell the queens...

So, what's the Calguns wizdom - would you guys (and gals) recommend selling them before relocating, or just disassembling the normal capacity mags and getting a couple of low capacity 10 rdersand bring the guns in? If I decide to sell them here, will it be harder/cheaper/whatever and how do I do it ?

Advice , thoughts and experiences here are appreciated.
Here is my ad on seattleguns, so you have am idea what I am talking about:

http://seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72739

Thanks !

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-20-2012, 12:39 AM
You might want to see which of your pistols are not on the CA "Safe List" - bring those with you and fill out the voluntary registration with DOJ. At some time in the future, when you decide to sell them, the magazines won't be a huge issue but someone here would probably like to have a chance to pick up a pistol that they can't get otherwise without going through a lot of trouble.

lazyworm
02-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Pistols not on the cert list usually can fetch quite a bit more in CA than you'd
get if you sell in WA.

chrisf
02-20-2012, 1:18 AM
I think the smartest thing for you to do is not to move here. But hey what do I know??

CaliforniaLiberal
02-20-2012, 5:28 AM
Hi All,

I am moving to Cali from the State of WA, and I have a few guns I don't want to sell but don't want to cripple with low-capacity mags either. Plus I have a few safe queens , I don't like the idea of gun registration so maybe I should just sell the queens...

So, what's the Calguns wizdom - would you guys (and gals) recommend selling them before relocating, or just disassembling the normal capacity mags and getting a couple of low capacity 10 rdersand bring the guns in? If I decide to sell them here, will it be harder/cheaper/whatever and how do I do it ?

Advice , thoughts and experiences here are appreciated.
Here is my ad on seattleguns, so you have am idea what I am talking about:

http://seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72739

Thanks !

The only restriction on bringing your guns to California is if they are "Assault Weapons."

Look at the Ban Flowchart buttons for Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns up in the blue bar at the top of the page for accurate information on what an "Assault Weapon" is.

No need to tell the State about the Non-Assault long guns you bring into the state, they don't care. (Starting in Jan 2014 that changes, new law) They do want you to fill out a form and send in $19 for the handguns. It's not exactly "Registration." There is no need to carry or present "Registration" paperwork or prove possession.

The Handgun Roster only applies to sales by FFL Dealers from their inventories. Regular folks can easily buy and sell all Non-Assault Weapons from each other through a Person to Person Transfer using a FFL Dealer for the paperwork and the 10 day waiting period. Off Roster handguns are a little harder to come by here so they may bring a slightly higher price than in Washington.

Disassemble your over 10 round magazines. Now they are parts kits. Do not assemble them while in the state or bring them in fully assembled. Parts kits may be kept or sold, just not assembled into actual magazines.

When you live here and buy a handgun you have to get one of the HSC - Handgun Safety Certificates. Easiest test you'll ever take.

California gun law is not as bad as some make it out to be. You get used to it after a couple of years. Just hang out on CalGuns to get educated in the fine points of gun law. Find out about the story of the "Bullet Button." Blow your mind, man.

And remember, No Shuriken or Lipstick Case Knives!

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/Cfl2007.pdf?

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#25

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report, pdf. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

r3dn3ck
02-20-2012, 5:39 AM
I'd bring everything that's not an AW. Off roster handguns bring a better price here than anywhere else and for the most part, guns in general seem to go for more on the secondary market here than in many other states.

rkt88edmo
02-20-2012, 7:06 AM
Don't sell anything just because your moving unless it is truly prohibited in CA (named AW).

You will regret it.

707electrician
02-20-2012, 7:25 AM
You'd rather sell your guns than buy ten round mags for them? That's silly

BostonFan
02-20-2012, 7:39 AM
You'd rather sell your guns than buy ten round mags for them? That's silly
No joke.

Ubermcoupe
02-20-2012, 8:53 AM
Don’t sell them. If anything you should buy more before coming here (especially those not on the “roster” - like wheel guns!) :D

pcmduncan
02-20-2012, 9:19 AM
I moved here last year and to be honest I wish I would have bought several guns before I moved. It's so much easier in other states I've been in (I'm not sure about WA), and at least a little bit cheaper. Also like others mentioned if you do want to sell them you'll end up with a little bit more in CA especially if they're off the roster.

w55
02-20-2012, 9:58 AM
Bring them.

secret.asian.man
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I think the smartest thing for you to do is not to move here. But hey what do I know??

exactly what i was thinking when i read the title. :iagree:

brassburnz
02-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Don’t sell them. If anything you should buy more before coming here (especially those not on the “roster” - like wheel guns!) :D

+1 on this. Buy a couple of 1911 frames and come on down. Look in the Private Firearms for Sale section in the forum and you'll see they bring a premium.

rtcell
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks folks, this is super useful. I am glad there is calguns :-) !

I feel stupid since I already sold a few if my wheel guns and glocks in addition to "evil" guns like Sig 556 and Beretta CX 4, but I needed to fund the move anyway.

Looks like I'll keep the rest and pay the DOJ big bucks at $19/piece for "not a regisration." registration. It is mandatory, is it? Or are they just trying to trick me into paying for "volutary disclosure with DOJ" ? I think DOJ site sais "you MUST send in the registration form".

Now, about this: No need to tell the State about the Non-Assault long guns you bring into the state, they don't care. (Starting in Jan 2014 that changes, new law) They do want you to fill out a form and send in $19 for the handguns. It's not exactly "Registration." There is no need to carry or present "Registration" paperwork or prove possession
As far as I am concerned if this is mandatory, this form gets me in some database so any official can check it out to prove posession, and who knows how else it is used. Exactly a 'registration' on my books. And I am supposed to do it within 60 days from getting residency (I think). No idea what happens if I am late, and how do they define 'late' (I guess by DL issue date?)

BTW - what is this new law for Jan 2014?

And yes, if a guns spent all her life in a safe, buying a few $50/piece 10rds (e.g. P226 or P228 mags) to put them into the safe sounded rather silly so I was thingking of selling the gun - I have 2 Sigs (P228R Platinum Elite and P226R Rosewood Elite) like that.

What is this HSC thing? It sounds like some silly multiple choice test I have to take at FFL (or somewhere else?) for another $25 every 5 years? Gosh, this is stupid.

About the sales in CA: all the sales go via FFL + waiting period, I get it... the question is - do they collect sale taxes, or just the FLL fee? (FWIW in WA for a private sale, you just look at the buyer or seller WA DL (mandatory) and CPL (Concealed Permit) (optional) and exchange the gun in question for cash. CPL is a must to issue with $50 fee/5 years. No "assault" BS, use any mag capacity you please and you can get a silencer or fully automatic after ATF approval and $200 fee to ATF. And 600 yd ranges are available too. Oh well.

Now the important question - recommendations (or warnings) about ranges and misc shoots?

thanks

CaliforniaLiberal
02-20-2012, 5:19 PM
Thanks folks, this is super useful. I am glad there is calguns :-) !

Yeah, CalGuns Rocks for sure! Not only are we a vast suppository of knowledge that we freely share with all who ask, we're also an irresistible force for the restoration of 2nd Amendment Rights in California and across the Nation. Meet Alan Gura. :gura: Read some more and discover all of the CalGuns sponsored or supported lawsuits working their way through the courts. Check out the California License to Carry Initiative. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative

I feel stupid since I already sold a few if my wheel guns and glocks in addition to "evil" guns like Sig 556 and Beretta CX 4, but I needed to fund the move anyway.

Looks like I'll keep the rest and pay the DOJ big bucks at $19/piece for "not a regisration." registration. It is mandatory, is it? Or are they just trying to trick me into paying for "volutary disclosure with DOJ" ? I think DOJ site sais "you MUST send in the registration form".

Mandatory

I call this not exactly registration because some states require you to present paperwork / proof of registration upon demand for all of your firearms. No such thing in CA. Several ways that you might legally be in possession without having your gun in the DOJ database.

Now, about this:
As far as I am concerned if this is mandatory, this form gets me in some database so any official can check it out to prove posession, and who knows how else it is used. Exactly a 'registration' on my books. And I am supposed to do it within 60 days from getting residency (I think). No idea what happens if I am late, and how do they define 'late' (I guess by DL issue date?)

Yep, the form says within 60 days. Word on the street is that the time limit is not vigorously enforced, that the DOJ doesn't mind late Registrations, they just want the gun in the data base.

BTW - what is this new law for Jan 2014?

Until now the record of sales of long guns have to be destroyed by the DOJ when the sale is complete. No long gun 'Registration.' New law says that starting Jan 2014 long guns and hand guns will both have records maintained in the data base, long guns imported into the state will also have to be Registered as hand guns are now. Old long guns will be grandfathered. No need to take action or Register the ones you already own in the State on Jan 2014

And yes, if a guns spent all her life in a safe, buying a few $50/piece 10rds (e.g. P226 or P228 mags) to put them into the safe sounded rather silly so I was thingking of selling the gun - I have 2 Sigs (P228R Platinum Elite and P226R Rosewood Elite) like that.

What is this HSC thing? It sounds like some silly multiple choice test I have to take at FFL (or somewhere else?) for another $25 every 5 years? Gosh, this is stupid.

You clearly understand exactly what this is about. http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf?

About the sales in CA: all the sales go via FFL + waiting period, I get it... the question is - do they collect sale taxes, or just the FLL fee? (FWIW in WA for a private sale, you just look at the buyer or seller WA DL (mandatory) and CPL (Concealed Permit) (optional) and exchange the gun in question for cash. CPL is a must to issue with $50 fee/5 years. No "assault" BS, use any mag capacity you please and you can get a silencer or fully automatic after ATF approval and $200 fee to ATF. And 600 yd ranges are available too. Oh well.

I know they collect sales tax now on out of state transfers. Recent crackdown on the many FFLs who were not bothering with sales tax, now everyone does. I don't think they collect on PPT (Person to Person Transfers). Couldn't you just say you sold the gun to this guy for a dollar?

Now the important question - recommendations (or warnings) about ranges and misc shoots?

It's a hella big state. Where you going to live?

thanks

You're Welcome

1. It is important to carefully read all
instructional material you receive
with your handgun. (page 27)
True False

5. Which of the following steps
should be taken to “childproof”
your handgun? (page 30)
A. Use a firearms safety device
AND store the firearm in a
locked container.
B. Always store your firearm
unloaded.
C. Store ammunition separately
in a locked container.
D. All of the above.

RickD427
02-20-2012, 6:58 PM
Pistols not on the cert list usually can fetch quite a bit more in CA than you'd
get if you sell in WA.

+1 to this post, and to the other posters above that offered the same advice.

If you elect to keep your weapons, you haven't lost anything.

On the other hand, if you elect to part with your "Safe Queens". they'll likely command a higher price here due to the effect of the "safe gun" roster. You can legally PPT them in a private sale even if they're not on the roster.

Just be careful not import an illegally (by California definition) configured weapon.

rtcell
02-20-2012, 8:42 PM

Good point :-). Profile updated. Sunnyvale

rtcell
02-20-2012, 8:42 PM

Good point :-). Profile updated. Sunnyvale