PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/maintenance supplies?

djgtek
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
What type of cleaning/maintenance kit does everyone use on their firearms? I've seen a few Winchester Cleaning Kits at Walmart for ~$8 but wasn't sure if "going cheap" on cleaning supplies was recommended by the community. What do i need exactly to keep my firearm in good working condition? Oils? Brushes?

zfields
02-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Cheap works. Don't overthink it. People get wrapped up in magic snake oil far to much on gun boards.

For what its worth, I use :

Walmart hoppes cleaning kit
Boresnakes
Slip 2000 EWL
Hoppes gun grease

Anti-Hero
02-19-2012, 11:43 PM
I use CLP or Hoppes for cleaning the barrel, and Pro Shot zero friction oil on the oil points.

I used to buy into all the hype and I've got a good sized collection of various oils, cleaners, grease, pastes, etc. Now I keep it simple; its just as effective and much faster.

MA2
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm on the cheap side, as long as you maintain, clean and lube, all is good.
Me:
Inside: Breakfree CLP
Outside: RemOil
Rails: Tetra gun grease

Even more cheap: Synthetic motor oil
Expensive: Frog Lube (never personally tried it, but do not see a bad review)

Brandon04GT
02-20-2012, 12:02 AM
I just did what probably most people do and just pieced together my own "kit." Right now I use:

Barrel: Gunslick bore foam
Cleaning: Breakfree CLP / Hoppes #9
Lube: Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube Universal

Brass cleaning rods, nylon brush, patches, jags, and nylon & bronze bore brushes.

Bw511
02-20-2012, 12:17 AM
In mine:

Hoppes #9
Boresnake
CLP
Brakleen
Cleaning brushes (really only use the nylon, I let the brakleen /or solvents do the work)
Mobile 1 (sparingly on barrel, guide rod & slide only)
Q-tips
Patches
Disassembly tools - for mine it's just two screwdrivers and a wooden drift whittled down from a chopstick.

osxgp
02-20-2012, 12:38 AM
You need a copper solvent for the bore if you use copper ammo...which most ammo uses a copper jacket. Break-Free CLP is NOT a copper solvent. The cheap Walmart stuff will work fine. There are plenty of fancy cleaning kits that are more pleasing to the eye than useful. Keep it simple.

hyperion.excal
02-20-2012, 12:44 AM
For all my 40SW handguns:
inside: M-Pro7 solvent and M-Pro7 copper remover
outside: Froglube

SouperMan
02-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Don't go cheap. Invest a little; the good and proper tools will save you time and frustration.

My kit:

CLP (Barrel cleaning and most metal parts)
Hoppes #9 Solvent (For really stubborn fouling)
Hoppes Lubricating Oil (If I forget the bottle of CLP)
Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner (Frame)
Otis Professional Pistol Cleaning System (Handles .22 to .45ACP)
Otis BoreSnake Viper (For a quick pass at the range)
A generous sized gun cleaning pad

saki302
02-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Get a couple bore snakes- not good for an intensive cleaning, but they will do in a pinch and work well enough, even dry.

If you want a better kit, piece one together yourself. Get a good rod set (I like Dewey), a couple good brass jags and some decent brushes.

I like MPro-7 for pistols, MPro and Butch's bore shine for rifles, and militec-1 oil and grease for lube.

Hoppes #9 is nice- just for the smell, and for cleaning powder residue. Reminds me of shooting with my grandpa :D (he's still around, but doesn't shoot anymore)

-Dave

Saym14
02-20-2012, 12:56 AM
cheap
remmington spray cleaner from walmart
a used tooth brush
my air compressor
and CLP

Fishslayer
02-20-2012, 9:58 AM
Maybe not "cheap" but I don't go for the super $$$ stuff either.

I use cast bullets, so there's a can of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner.
I use copper jacketed, so there's a bottle of Shooter's Choice.
I use gunpowder, so there are multiple big bottles of Hoppes. Works well as a manly cologne, too. ;)

Decent set of hollow ground screwdrivers. Nothing screams "Bubba!" like boogered up screws.
Kroil. Multiple cleaning uses. A soaked patch in the bore overnight & POOF! The lead comes right out.
Graphite/moly engine assembly lube for slides.
Remoil & B-C synthetic gun oil for insides.
CLP for wipedown & light cleaning.
CorrosionX for anything that needs the oil to stay put. Good for barrel/bushing surfaces.
B-C Lead Remover cloth for.... removing lead & bore/chamber polishing.
B-C Synthetic safe spray cleaner and plastic safe PCB cleaner for plastic frames.
Brake cleaner for no rez steel cleaning.
Misc nylon engine brushes for round passages.
Tactical OD toothbrush.
Pipe cleaners for small passages.

Dang... hadn't given any thought to it but I have a crapload of cleaning gear, but I also shoot multiple platforms and also use corrosive milsurp ammo in a couple of 'em.

I don't use all of it all the time. Depends on which gun I'm cleaning.

x whatever on the Otis bore brushes. Good gear. I buy 'em by the 10 pack & save about 50% over singles.

If you own a Glock you don't need any of that nonsense. They are perfection and will run 100K rounds with zero cleaning or attention. See YouTube...

Mezcalfud
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Range kit is eye dropper-like bottles of M-Pro cleaner, EWL lube and a baby jar of Militec grease, boresnakes, q-tips, toothbrush, little flashlight, mini swiss army knife (toothpick is a great punch), Mosin bolt tool/screwdriver and a cloth.

Home Kit adds bigger bottles of the cleaners/oils and a can of foaming bore cleaner. I also have various 1pc cleaning rods and brushes but rarely use them unless I am doing a complete scrubdown or storage prep.

Walmart kits work fine and are all you need but I prefer Brownells for 1 pc pistol and rifle rods and brushes/mops in qty. Depends on what and how many you are cleaning, and I know this might get me flamed but you can get all you need to shoot, clean and maintain at Walmart!

Lead Waster
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I have the "Walmart Winchester cleaning kit" (the cheap one). It's fine. I bought it to cover various calibers, and I supplement that supply with other things, like brass brushes.

I did notice that the brass brush in the walmart kit didn't really fill the barrel of my .45 very well, but maybe I left some Hoppes #9 on it and dissolved the bristles a bit!

I'll buy extra brass scrubbers from the range. I use Hoppes #9 (the one with the orange label) and I also had some Hoppes #9 copper solvent as well. Then I use Hoppes gun oil, because it came in a cheap rifle cleaning kit that I had, it works fine.

I bought some bulk "pro shot" cleaning patches, but honestly, cut up old socks/underwear/t-shirts is probably just as good! LOL!

I also have a random collection of MPro-7, Breakfree CLP and other stuff I tried on a lark, I generelly just use the Hoppes stuff though.

I will probably get a 9mm boresnake, to bring to matches for a quick swipe.

zfields
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I will probably get a 9mm boresnake, to bring to matches for a quick swipe.

I dont think I could live without.

I have one for every caliber I own, + a different pull through style kit that I rarely use anymore. The one for 12g makes my life SO much easier.

drifts1
02-20-2012, 5:41 PM
Froglube .....:hide:

AeroEngi
02-20-2012, 5:57 PM
Froglube .....:hide:

Hahaha!

In all seriousness, Froglube is nice but so is Weapon Shield CLP and grease. I use Froglube on my non-semi auto guns (bolt-action rifles and pump shotguns) and I use Weapon Shield CLP and grease on the semi-auto guns.

Intimid8tor
02-20-2012, 5:59 PM
I have purchased kits, but most of my stuff is pieced together now. I have nice cleaning rods for pistol and rifle. The I have an assortment of nylon and bronze brushes, and jags for each size. I use mostly m-pro7 for cleaning and different things to lube depending on what I am cleaning. It all stays in a 4 drawer tackle box (Plano 7771) except for the spare brushes and rifle rod. For smithing I have a seperate box with parts and tools.

Brandon04GT
02-20-2012, 6:06 PM
Hahaha!

In all seriousness, Froglube is nice but so is Weapon Shield CLP and grease. I use Froglube on my non-semi auto guns (bolt-action rifles and pump shotguns) and I use Weapon Shield CLP and grease on the semi-auto guns.

I just placed an order on midwayusa and added one of the 5ml Froglube sample packets into my cart for $1.49....I'm gonna try it out on my 590A1 and see what all the hype is about.

AeroEngi
02-20-2012, 6:16 PM
I just placed an order on midwayusa and added one of the 5ml Froglube sample packets into my cart for $1.49....I'm gonna try it out on my 590A1 and see what all the hype is about.

It's decent stuff. My 1911 becomes a jam-o-matic if I don't lube it properly. I've been testing Froglube with my 1911 recently and it seems to be doing a pretty good job.

dbbspider
02-20-2012, 6:49 PM
I got one of those multi caliber cleaning kits from walmart and its fine and cheap. I use Hoppes, break free CLP, synthetic motor oil, synthetic all purpose grease, synthetic tranny oil, break cleaner, etc. It all works

osxgp
02-20-2012, 6:58 PM
Don't go cheap. Invest a little; the good and proper tools will save you time and frustration.

My kit:

CLP (Barrel cleaning and most metal parts)
Hoppes #9 Solvent (For really stubborn fouling)
Hoppes Lubricating Oil (If I forget the bottle of CLP)
Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner (Frame)
Otis Professional Pistol Cleaning System (Handles .22 to .45ACP)
Otis BoreSnake Viper (For a quick pass at the range)
A generous sized gun cleaning pad

Otis stuff doesent clean any better than the cheap stuff. Your paying for the name. A bronze brush is a bronze brush.

tbc
02-20-2012, 7:06 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/46bb8a2d-0a4c-5f35.jpg

absinthe49
02-20-2012, 7:12 PM
Cleaning supplies can be sort of a touchy subject. Some people don't even clean their guns so much and do fine. Others are meticulous.

I used to shoot mainly benchrest rifles and sort of followed the crazy clean every 10 rounds type methodology. I don't do benchrest anymore so I have cooled down quite a bit.

When I got my first handgun, a Beretta 92fs, I got a Wilson Combat maintenance video. He was selling his own lubricant (ultima lube) but did a test with bearings and grinding them to show how well the various lubricants performed. Basically... Breakfree CLP performed almost as well as ultima lube. I used it for years but recently decided to stop because I read some stuff that said it could be toxic.

He also advocated Hoppe's #9 for copper... and I used that for years. I recently switched to Boretech Copper Eliminator. It doesn't smell... is supposed to be reasonably non-toxic, and gets rid of copper pretty fast. It also doesn't have ammonia which is a plus.

The other thing is I normally use coated rods. The two or three piece screw together cheap rods can be bad. The junction between rods can leave a little sharp piece of metal and can scratch your bore. One of my glocks got a scratched up barrel from a junk rod. Part of this is also using a bore guide and jags that won't scratch your crown.

I figure I don't mind paying up to 100 dollars for a good set of cleaning supplies. The set should last for years and why not take care of my guns? Of course... this is sort of a religious argument because some people use 20 dollar kits and their guns shoot fine for years ;)

Mr310
02-20-2012, 7:29 PM
I use Hoppes 9, Slide Glide, q-tips, a rag, and a cheap no-name cleaning kit I picked up at Bass Pro Shop. It's worked fine for me.