PDA

View Full Version : Imagine a five year moratorium on all enforcement of gun laws

sholling
02-19-2012, 9:45 PM
This is a pretty good "what if" essay. What would life in America be like if we just had a 5 year moratorium? A five year long test.

Link (http://biggovernment.com/jlongenecker/2012/02/19/imagine-a-moratorium-on-gun-control-in-2012/#more-431948)
Would the fears and apprehensions of gun control activists come true? Or, would we see a re-awakening of the electorate’s supervision of our public servants and a much greater excitement about self-rule?

I think the re-awakening would transpire. Heritage of sovereignty would come alive and the government/governed rapport would improve immensely. You see, Americans do not hate their government; we prefer our roads to be safe, our meat inspection to be reliable, and our votes to be righteous (and counted). What we also prefer is respect for the Sovereign.

What would happen if the United States enjoyed a moratorium on restrictions on equipment for rifles, a moratorium on the enforcement of types of guns, acoustic suppressors, length of a rifle, magazine capacity or where and when one can concealed carry? What would change?

Kodemonkey
02-19-2012, 9:48 PM
What would change.

Link (http://biggovernment.com/jlongenecker/2012/02/19/imagine-a-moratorium-on-gun-control-in-2012/#more-431948)

My checking account...

bigbryan
02-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Only happen in a beautiful dream

PsychGuy274
02-20-2012, 5:09 AM
There'd be blood in the streets...

rudigan
02-20-2012, 5:27 AM
My checking account...

Exactly! It would be a huge positive jolt to the economy.

Lives_In_Fresno
02-20-2012, 8:28 AM
The problem is that once someone suggested this as a test, someone else would come around and suggest that it be followed by a 5 year complete gun ban, that gun ban would then be renewed indefinitely.

sholling
02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
The problem is that once someone suggested this as a test, someone else would come around and suggest that it be followed by a 5 year complete gun ban, that gun ban would then be renewed indefinitely.
The premise is that the test of freedom would be so successful that the moratorium would be made permanent.

winnre
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
or like the sunset on assault weapons that was a federal thing but did not go away in CA?

SilverTauron
02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
The problem isn't whether or not current gun laws are effective.Both liberals and free Americans understand that the laws do nothing to stop crime.The core difference is that liberals feel the individual -every individual-is a reckless danger to society who must be controlled and guided by some government mandated law or bureacracy.Gun control serves this purpose of 'guiding' the indivdual to choose to voluntarily disarm,or to suffer the consequences of 'rebelling' against the greater good via fees,registration,byzantine laws,and hostile public reaction.

Thus crime prevention is not even the point of the exercise.The game is played for control,and the governments of New Jersey and others of their ilk will risk armed confrontation before yielding it.The civil rights movement can stand as an example of what happens when entrenched authority figures are forced to follow their own laws.

Mute
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see that moratorium on ALL new laws.

aklover_91
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Or just a more stringent review first.

We need to change the system so a legislator is judged by what they repeal and the quality of what they introduce, instead of the current system where they all sponsor junk bills to look busy.

Scott Connors
02-20-2012, 12:37 PM

If there is blood, it will probably be from the antis committing mass seppuko in protest. I sincerely hope that they get the help they need to overcome their self-destructive psychoses.

curtisfong
02-20-2012, 2:02 PM
Or just a more stringent review first.

We need to change the system so a legislator is judged by what they repeal and the quality of what they introduce, instead of the current system where they all sponsor junk bills to look busy.

This.

Also, for every new law passed, they should be forced to repeal 10 old ones.

Kid Stanislaus
02-20-2012, 2:47 PM

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!!!

Kid Stanislaus
02-20-2012, 2:49 PM

ANARCHIST!!:p

wjc
02-20-2012, 2:55 PM
The screeching from the anti-gun crowd would be deafening.

...and totally worth it!

Sunday
02-20-2012, 3:24 PM
I am imagining Obama getting reelected and pushing for the freedom from war treaty that J F kennedy signed in the early 1960s to be enacted and within 5 years guns will be illegal.

vantec08
02-20-2012, 3:53 PM
I am imagining Obama getting reelected and pushing for the freedom from war treaty that J F kennedy signed in the early 1960s to be enacted and within 5 years guns will be illegal.

and . . .. . . . he will sign onto the UN global ban.

unusedusername
02-20-2012, 4:13 PM
My opinion on this is that most gun laws are irrelevant to those that follow laws as those people won't do anything irresponsible with their guns anyways.

Gun laws are also irrelevant to those that ignore laws as they do not follow laws.

The big question would be the effect of this on the middle, the people that sometimes follow laws and are sometimes irresponsible with firearms. I believe that most people are somewhere in the middle.

I have no opinion on what the effect would be as I do not have enough data to make an informed opinion.

ja308
02-20-2012, 11:13 PM

The treaty has never been repealed . GOP mostly blows it off , Dems push harder every time their in power to fullfill the charters mandate. So I agree with your statement .
Romney is only GOP to NOT fill out questionaire , as of this writing to what your topic refers to.

One intersting question for older military veterans would be the new civilian aspect on US bases . I understand many more civilians are hired for cooks ,support ect. Some even in combat roles I am told.
Question why more civilians when GIs are cheaper and less problematic ?

P7 of the document you refer states "The armed forces of the United States and the Soviet Union would be limited to 2.1 million each ..."blah blah blah .

It will be fun to read some calgunners comments regarding a document ,every member of the gun culture knows about , or wants to know about

donw
02-21-2012, 7:17 AM
it ain't NEVER gonna happen! people like portantino and deleon would wither and die for one thing...

California enacted 760 new law at the beginning of 2012 and nationally there were over 40,000 new laws enacted.

we are, indeed, a nation of laws...good? bad? who knows? we'll be judged by the results of it all by history.

donw
02-21-2012, 7:43 AM
The treaty has never been repealed . GOP mostly blows it off , Dems push harder every time their in power to fullfill the charters mandate. So I agree with your statement .
Romney is only GOP to NOT fill out questionaire , as of this writing to what your topic refers to.

One intersting question for older military veterans would be the new civilian aspect on US bases . I understand many more civilians are hired for cooks ,support ect. Some even in combat roles I am told.

P7 of the document you refer states "The armed forces of the United States and the Soviet Union would be limited to 2.1 million each ..."blah blah blah .

It will be fun to read some calgunners comments regarding a document ,every member of the gun culture knows about , or wants to know about

BOLD is my emphasis.

there was recently an article about civilian "Contractors" and their role in Afghanistan and Iraq: they actually have taken more casualties than our combat troops. (according to the article...i, personally, would not debate the point.)

for one thing, the US gov't does NOT have to publicly acknowledge them as casualties as they do our military; all they have to do is notify the next of kin.

for another: the "Contractor" is paid and given 'benefits' by his employer NOT the US taxpayer; just like unions and employees.

pay? from an experience (an offer from a foreign government) i had at the beginning of the war in VN, a "Contractor" can make much, much more $$$$, but...his personal liabilities and responsibilities are also much greater.

one might be safe to say the modern "Contractor" is one who would have been called a "Mercenary" a while ago.

i remember a "mercenary" during the Rhodesian revolt, who was from San Diego, who was caught and executed...

HowardW56
02-21-2012, 7:56 AM
Is this the fantasy forum?

wjc
02-21-2012, 5:32 PM

Isn't there an original Star Trek episode with a planet set up like that? People are selected to walk into phone booths to be eliminated as "war casualties".

Something to look forward to, huh? :rolleyes:

jwkincal
02-21-2012, 5:45 PM
Isn't there an original Star Trek episode with a planet set up like that? People are selected to walk into phone booths to be eliminated as "war casualties".

"A Taste of Armageddon"

It was filmed mostly on the campus of Cal State Los Angeles, I believe...